Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arteckx View Post

Wrestle? In my family, we just ask.

You don't know my daughter!
  • Reply 22 of 51
    there are going to be a LOT of obsessives* that will not like this idea, you can't wrap these in plastic hermetically sealed bags and never read them!

so, it's bound to be teh dooomed.

*you know who you are
  • Reply 23 of 51
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

there are going to be a LOT of obsessives* that will not like this idea, you can't wrap these in plastic hermetically sealed bags and never read them!

*you know who you are

But now these same people, CAN in fact read about the episode that is in that sealed bag, while still having a virgin copy.

It will work, it's just, will it work well enough?

Skip
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cygnusrk727 View Post

This is what all books in digital format need to be like. Amazon still thinks people merely want to download text to read or listen on a digital display. Displays are made for entertainment. Yep, this is the future of digital books.

I have posted before to the effect that Apple needs to transform the reading experience via an iPhone/iTouch device. Have options like combining audio reading of the text as it is highlighted. Have optional artwork appear as the spoken and highlighted words appear. Comic Books could really fly.

Let the reader do markups between the lines or highlight passages that get saved to files. Think Different with an ebook like device.

Um, you do realize that the Kindle 2 does everything you just asked for except for having "optional artwork appear" concept that I really didn't understand anyway. It will read the text for you and allows annotations and highlighting. It also allows images, though they are limited to 16-color grayscale.

Also, I'm not really sure I buy your claim that people DON'T want to "merely download text to read" or Job's assertion that people don't read anymore. The Borders Bookstore near me is always crowded and a good percentage of those people seem to walk out with a newly purchased book. I mean there's already this interesting invention that combines sound and images. It's called a movie. If you feel the urge to read something during it, just turn on the subtitles or watch a foreign film.

It's also been mentioned numerous times before, but displays with backlighting make for a horrible prolonged reading experience. Why do you think people no longer mention the paperless office that was to be the future of business not too long ago? If I emailed someone a 10-page report to look over, the first thing they would do is print it out. The digital ink in eBook reader displays is intended to solve this issue.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Let's wait until we see it.

And you will see that it's cheap animation.

Then it could be classy and enjoyable cheap animation, but still the way Marvel is marketing that it's just plain ridiculous
  • Reply 26 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bulldogger View Post

This is great news. Whereas the record/movie companies are still scrambling on what to do with the whole digital media and distribution, Marvel is taking the proactive route and blazing a new trail. They understand the future is digital and taking that bull by the horns.

There are some key differences that make Marvel's interest less of a risk. Marvel can sell their digital media without hurting the print media's revenue. They can even tie the products together potentially increasing their print media sales. Both have there benefits.

The record/movie companies are really competing for the exact same media on different formats. The only real difference in quality of content. I think the first positive step the movie cartels did was allow for an iPod capable, lower bitrate version on the optical media, but I don't think that is widespread, and perhaps a bit late in the game to change current habits.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arteckx View Post

Wrestle? In my family, we just ask.

So do we. Punctuated by screaming, threats, stomping off and slamming doors... you know, the zen of tears.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

One word: Watchmen.

yep. i have the whole series in the same motion comics style. i believe it is listed as a tv show.

and I saw TWO Batman listings but I haven't checked the style.

Batman is DC.

I love the idea of Marvel Superheroes on the iPhone, as long as the graphics stay true. The big problem for me is the audio. As soon as you add a voice to images, you're in dangerous territory. Will it match my idea of what that voice should sound like? If not it looses much impact. I suspect that a pure graphic version with limited animation and sound effects would work better, but as already suggested... lets wait and see.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    This is sweet. I can't wait to see the "purist" saying "this isn't how comics should be read"....and yes I know some people like that.\

I guess should have RTFA, I'm not for the sound. Just give me the comic in pics/txt, just like the hardcopy.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Maybe it'll play like Ken Burns documentaries of the Marvel Universe. Could work!
  • Reply 30 of 51
    I wonder why the corporations don't take the iPhone seriously?

Let's see, no business applications and no push email yet I can read my comics.

Apple has turned the iPhone into an expensive toy through terrible marketing.

When was the last time you saw a commercial for the iPhone even remotely directed towards the business market?
  • Reply 31 of 51
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

*you know who you are

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by abundance View Post

And you will see that it's cheap animation.

Then it could be classy and enjoyable cheap animation, but still the way Marvel is marketing that it's just plain ridiculous

As Ben Grimm might say to Mr. Fantastic (in a cheesy "voice talent" way):

"I got a bad feeling about this, Stretch...!"
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

But now these same people, CAN in fact read about the episode that is in that sealed bag, while still having a virgin copy.

Skip

but its an ENTIRELY different copy!! IT MUST BE PRESERVED!!!!11!!1!!

etc.

{is there a reason there are no "crazed lunatic" smilies? }
  • Reply 33 of 51
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    This is a fantastic idea. It's is great medium for pro comic artists AND doable for gifted amateurs and wannabees.

Of course its not a new idea - there are no new ideas - it's an idea who's technological time has come.

I predict much wailing, whining and Marvel-hateage - the usual precursors to a major success.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Um, you do realize that the Kindle 2 does everything you just asked for except for having "optional artwork appear" concept that I really didn't understand anyway. It will read the text for you and allows annotations and highlighting. It also allows images, though they are limited to 16-color grayscale.

The Kindle doesn't have 16 color greyscale. It has 16 step greyscale. No color at all, just black against grey at its best. I don't know if you really meant color or not.

Quote:

Also, I'm not really sure I buy your claim that people DON'T want to "merely download text to read" or Job's assertion that people don't read anymore. The Borders Bookstore near me is always crowded and a good percentage of those people seem to walk out with a newly purchased book. I mean there's already this interesting invention that combines sound and images. It's called a movie. If you feel the urge to read something during it, just turn on the subtitles or watch a foreign film.

I don't agree with Job's statement that people don't read anymore, but that's been explained as his meaning that less people read long books as aopposed to shorter articles.

I read a lot, as does my family. Most of my friends do as well.

Quote:

It's also been mentioned numerous times before, but displays with backlighting make for a horrible prolonged reading experience. Why do you think people no longer mention the paperless office that was to be the future of business not too long ago? If I emailed someone a 10-page report to look over, the first thing they would do is print it out. The digital ink in eBook reader displays is intended to solve this issue.

I can't agree with this though. Many people read from computer screens most of the day, in their jobs without problems.

I think the problem here is not the backlit screens, but the manner in which they're presented. Having a screen on a desk, in a non movable position, with you sitting in a seat, isn't always very comfortable.

While I don't use portables, so I can't give my own feelings abut it, people seem to have much less problems with them.

I've been reading books electronically on my Mac for quite some time. not too bad, but that desktop problem crops up.

but I've also been reading books on cellphones starting with my Samsung i300 and i330, with their small 160 x 160 screens. not the greatest, but not that bad either.

My Treo 700p with its slightly bigger 320 x 320 screen was much better, and my iPhone with its even slightly wider, longer 480 x 320 screen with many more colors is much better than that. I've now read a few dozen books on it, and it's just fine! The high number of colors makes the backgrounds much more soothing. I haven't found a problem yet with any of the bookreaders available.

I really think this is they way to go.

While I have no doubt that the Kindle and other devices will do well enough, that's mostly going to be to people who want a more techie product they don't mind carrying in addition to everything else.

For the large majority, that size will continue to be a turnoff.

In addition, the high price is also a turnoff. Why pay $360 for a reader when you have one for free?

Right now, I find the color screen in the iPhone to be better than the 16 step greyscale one for pictures and diagrams, even though I have to magnify them sometimes, and scroll around. A lot of that is unintelligible on the Kindle's screen, I've looked.

I will print something out if it needs to be marked up, or needs to be seen at full size, or whatever. Otherwise, I just read it on the screen.

Obviously, some people will always prefer paper, or something that sort of looks like it, but until the Kindle has good color, and a price of $99, it won't sell to the masses.

Here we have people arguing that a device the size of the old Newton won't make it because it's too big, and won't fit into a pocket, even though the device will do just about everything. They'll also have to figure out a way to make the Kindle smaller while still having a screen the size of a paperback.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    I registered just to comment on the title of this article.

Do they teach at Dork School of Writing that everything related to computers has to be "unleashed"? Between the books and the online content, computer users read like a bunch of twelve year olds. Seriously.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

I registered just to comment on the title of this article.

Do they teach at Dork School of Writing that everything related to computers has to be "unleashed"? Between the books and the online content, computer users read like a bunch of twelve year olds. Seriously.

That's movieland writing. Too bad that computer writers took it from them.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The Kindle doesn't have 16 color greyscale. It has 16 step greyscale. No color at all, just black against grey at its best. I don't know if you really meant color or not.

So gray isn't a color? So Apple's nano is really only offered in seven colors, the other two are just lies?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:

Semantics. 16 step, 16 color. 16 shades of gray.

Quote:

I don't agree with Job's statement that people don't read anymore, but that's been explained as his meaning that less people read long books as aopposed to shorter articles.

I read a lot, as does my family. Most of my friends do as well.

I can't agree with this though. Many people read from computer screens most of the day, in their jobs without problems.

I can't really agree with this myself. I sit at a computer all day and it is most certainly NOT problem free. If I spend too much time staring at the screen, the eyes begin to ache from soreness. I know I'm not alone in this situation. Ergonomic guidelines call for frequent breaks from staring at a computer screen.

Quote:

I think the problem here is not the backlit screens, but the manner in which they're presented. Having a screen on a desk, in a non movable position, with you sitting in a seat, isn't always very comfortable.

Here I have to go back to your comment about shorter articles. Much of the time a person sits at a computer, a lot of their reading is in short bursts. Whether it be an email, or the contents of a Java class file. It usually inherently involves small amounts of text. As I said originally, if you send someone a 10-page report, they're first instinct is going to be to print it out to read over, not stare at it one the computer screen unless there is some absolute requirement to do. It's a matter of comfort; reading large blocks of dense text on a backlit screen is just not comfortable since its similar to staring at a light bulb.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    I posted the youtube video on my site. I definitely like where Marvel is headed!
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

So gray isn't a color? So Apple's nano is really only offered in seven colors, the other two are just lies?

As Caliminius has already said?Do you want to play the game of semantics?

No, grey isn't really considered to be "color" Which is why black and white Tv, movies, photo's etc. aren't called "color"

As you very well know.

So no, the other two Nano's aren't colors in the sense that we're talking about.

Properly, they are called "shades" of grey.