Pages Issues

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have been experimenting with Pages in the hope that I can ditch MS Word.

Saving Files: Is the only way to save files via the menu. Word has a nice Save button, which I use all the time when my documents have stable updates.

Format Painter: I am not sure how this works in Pages, but it is wildly useful in Word.

Compatibility: Can you really go back and forth with Word? I have to post my files in Word for the students in my classes.

I appreciate the GREAT help you all have provided in the past.

Thanks ! ! !

PS I note, for example, Pages does not give default file names based on the first line of text, a la MS Word. It appears Pages is missing good Human Engineering touches.

PPS Pages is losing the battle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I have been experimenting with Pages in the hope that I can ditch MS Word.

Saving Files: Is the only way to save files via the menu. Word has a nice Save button, which I use all the time when my documents have stable updates.

You can just press Command-S.

Quote:

Format Painter: I am not sure how this works in Pages, but it is wildly useful in Word.

There's a Copy Style and a Paste Style option in the Format menu. There are keyboard shortcuts for those as well.

Quote:

Compatibility: Can you really go back and forth with Word? I have to post my files in Word for the students in my classes.

You can, given that the layout is not too complex. Pages' Word file compatibility is pretty good (better than OpenOffice), but nothing is perfect. Try it and see if it meets your needs.