Intel: 32nm proceeding faster than expectation

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14204

Quote:

Today, DailyTech has learned that Intel's P1268 32nm development process is proceeding much faster than expected. Intel is therefore announcing an accelerated product ramp, and will be introducing Westmere-based mobile and desktop processors in the fourth quarter of 2009, with volume possible in time for the Christmas shopping season.

Well so much for the "Intel may struggle to get to 32nm" postulation. Looks like 32nm for Intel is going to happen very smoothly which portends good things for the "Tock" cycle of Nehalem and makes the potential for Nehalem based Macbook and Macbook Pro launches a distinct possiblity in 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14204

Well so much for the "Intel may struggle to get to 32nm" postulation. Looks like 32nm for Intel is going to happen very smoothly which portends good things for the "Tock" cycle of Nehalem and makes the potential for Nehalem based Macbook and Macbook Pro launches a distinct possiblity in 2009.

I guess Intel felt that the bullet to the head and the dagger through the left ventricle wasn't enough for AMD. Now they're going to run over them few times with a Hummer.

Phenom IIs will be selling for $50 (exaggerated for effect) at the end of this year if this comes to pass.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I guess Intel felt that the bullet to the head and the dagger through the left ventricle wasn't enough for AMD. Now they're going to run over them few times with a Hummer.

Phenom IIs will be selling for $50 (exaggerated for effect) at the end of this year if this comes to pass.

Yeah rumor is that AMD is a year behind Intel to 32nm which is gonna hurt.

More shuffling ..45nm Havendale looks like it's cancelled for 32nm Clarksdale

Quote:

Clarkdale is the name of the new CPU with the IGP and according to Intel it should be ready for production in Q4 2009. To make things better, this is first of many Intel?s 32nm based CPUs to come. We expect a full ramp up in early 2010 but Intel will be ready to at least show and ship it to a selected few in late 2009.

Perfect Macbook processor IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison;1374733

[URL="http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11918&It emid=35"

More shuffling ..45nm Havendale looks like it's cancelled for 32nm Clarksdale[/URL]

If this does happen, MacBooks at the end of this year could be significantly faster than current MBPs.

Like a lot faster.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

Yeah rumor is that AMD is a year behind Intel to 32nm which is gonna hurt.

More shuffling ..45nm Havendale looks like it's cancelled for 32nm Clarksdale

Clarksdale is a desktop processor (65W or so), the mobile version is named Arrandale (35W). While some sites annonce a late 2009 release, one can hope, but to be realistic, expect availability in quantities in Q1 2010 (just like it was the case for Havendale/Auburndale before they were cancelled).

FWIW, there will also be 65W versions of Lynnfield in Q1 2010.

AFAIK, there will be 3 arrandale cpus replacing the current C2D P series (probably at 2.13/2.40/2.66GHz), those go in the "power optimized" category. It is yet unknown what will happen to the T series (currently C2D 35W), Intel could release faster nehalem dual-core cpus without IGP at probably 40-45W TDP, but nothing has appeared on roadmaps yet.

- Q3 2009, mobile quad-cores (55W)

- Q1 2010, mobile dual-cores +IGP (35W),

mobile SL dual-cores (17W),

mobile SU dual-cores (10W)

On the desktop front Intel has all price points already covered with:

- Core i7 speedbump in Q2 2009 and Gulftown (6C) in Q2 2010

- 95W QC Lynnfield in Q3 2009

- 65W QC Lynnfield in Q1 2010

- DC+IGP Clarkdale in Q1 2010
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Clarksdale is a desktop processor (65W or so), the mobile version is named Arrandale (35W). While some sites annonce a late 2009 release, one can hope, but to be realistic, expect availability in quantities in Q1 2010 (just like it was the case for Havendale/Auburndale before they were cancelled).

FWIW, there will also be 65W versions of Lynnfield in Q1 2010.

AFAIK, there will be 3 arrandale cpus replacing the current C2D P series (probably at 2.13/2.40/2.66GHz), those go in the "power optimized" category. It is yet unknown what will happen to the T series (currently C2D 35W), Intel could release faster nehalem dual-core cpus without IGP at probably 40-45W TDP, but nothing has appeared on roadmaps yet.

- Q3 2009, mobile quad-cores (55W)

- Q1 2010, mobile dual-cores +IGP (35W),

mobile SL dual-cores (17W),

mobile SU dual-cores (10W)

On the desktop front Intel has all price points already covered with:

- Core i7 speedbump in Q2 2009 and Gulftown (6C) in Q2 2010

- 95W QC Lynnfield in Q3 2009

- 65W QC Lynnfield in Q1 2010

- DC+IGP Clarkdale in Q1 2010

I like the 65 watt desktop part. Hopefully that'll be the iMacs processor roadmap.

BTW what's the 'IGP'?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

I like the 65 watt desktop part. Hopefully that'll be the iMacs processor roadmap.

BTW what's the 'IGP'?

I can't even find any guesses as to what these IGP will offer in terms of features and performance.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Engadget has a video showing how far these 32nm chips are along:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/10/i...nm-processors/

Stable running Windows and rendering 3D images. Definitely in production 2009. I guess they'll build Larrabee on this but could this mean they are ahead of schedule on Larrabee? Their estimate last year was late 2009, early 2010. Maybe this pushes more towards late 2009.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

BTW what's the 'IGP'?

Quote:

I can't even find any guesses as to what these IGP will offer in terms of features and performance.

AFAIK, the IGP (integrated graphics processor) will be based on the G45 express chipset's graphics processor, to give you an idea... maybe... nothing spectacular, but no Larrabee or whatever (yet).

"parts of the platform will definitely go into production late 2009" doesn't mean available in quantity for OEMs and the general public.

But I would not be surprised if Apple managed to get first dibs on the Arrendale cpus for the MacBooks (and hopefully on the 65W Lynnfield cpus for the iMacs). We'll see. But that's almost one year away, we still don't have an updated Mac mini, iMac or Mac Pro for 2009.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

AFAIK, the IGP (integrated graphics processor) will be based on the G45 express chipset's graphics processor, to give you an idea... maybe... nothing spectacular, but no Larrabee or whatever (yet).

"parts of the platform will definitely go into production late 2009" doesn't mean available in quantity for OEMs and the general public.

But I would not be surprised if Apple managed to get first dibs on the Arrendale cpus for the MacBooks (and hopefully on the 65W Lynnfield cpus for the iMacs). We'll see. But that's almost one year away, we still don't have an updated Mac mini, iMac or Mac Pro for 2009.

Looks like NVIDIA pawns Intel, at least when it comes to IGP.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Translation: "Our new microarchitecture (AKA Nehalem) runs waaaay too hot and we can't make mobile processors out of it at 45nm."
  • Reply 11 of 15
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Translation: "Our new microarchitecture (AKA Nehalem) runs waaaay too hot and we can't make mobile processors out of it at 45nm."

Hmm, that's one interpretation.

The way I saw it:

In times of less spending people prefer a cheap dual-core mobile chip running 4 threads to an expensive mobile quad-core chip running 8 threads.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

The Phenom IIs are okay... but yeah they'll be at the "budget multicore" segment of the market for the 2nd half of the year.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The Phenom IIs are okay... but yeah they'll be at the "budget multicore" segment of the market for the 2nd half of the year.

I've read the the Phenom IIs are quite good.

But Intel aren't giving AMD 5 minutes to enjoy their success.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This is a TEST Comment

Salman Khan

Salman Khan

http://www.google.com/
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by salman22 View Post

This is a TEST Comment

Salman Khan

Salman Khan

http://www.google.com/