File sharing finally comes to MobileMe

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A file-sharing feature promised last July has finally arrived for users of Apple's MobileMe, capping a months-long delay that stemmed from the online service's rocky launch.

"We're pleased to announce that you can now use your MobileMe iDisk to share files with others simply and easily," reads a post on the MobileMe News website. "Instead of attaching a large document to an email and hoping it's not too big to be received, you can place the file in your iDisk and use the new Share File command in the iDisk web app."

Apple has provided a video tutorial to help users familiarize themselves with the new feature. Any file stored on iDisk can be shared (meaning it must be uploaded first) by clicking a "Share File..." button. Users can set an expiration date for each shared file and set a password for protection.

The new feature offers MobileMe users an alternative to free and fee-based online services like YouSendIt, Sendspace, Rapidshare, MegaUpload, and others.

Users should note that this capability cannot be found when accessing iDisk through the Finder, so one must first visit the Me.com site and log in. Although MobileMe users already have access to a Public iDisk folder, the new feature works on any file placed inside an iDisk while adding capability to email recipients and set the aforementioned download expiration option.

Users can set expiration dates and password protection for shared files.

Recipients of shared files receive an email with file information and a download link.

Last July, Apple sent an email to MobileMe subscribers acknowledging that iDisk File Sharing had been pulled at the eleventh hour ahead of the launch and apologized for the inconvenience. From then on, the MobileMe website said, "Soon, a new feature in iDisk will make it simple to share files too big for email."

Steve Jobs expressed regret and embarrassment with the mishandled launch of MobileMe, calling it "not up to Apple's standards". He then put Eddy Cue, formerly vice president of iTunes, in charge of bringing the service up to the Cupertino-based company's standard.

In an effort to make up for its early mistakes, Apple granted a free 30-day and later a 60-day extension to MobileMe subscribers. Since then, the company has steadily rolled out a series of improvements to the service.

AppleInsider's Series: Inside MobileMe

Secrets of the Cloud and Mobile Push

Mac and PC cloud sync and mobile push

Apple's Push vs Exchange, BlackBerry, Google

iPhone Mail

iPhone's Exchange alternative for contacts and calendar

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    I've been using a workaround by placing a document in my public iDisk folder and then emailing a link to it. (ex, http://idisk.me.com/~user/public/filename). My way is actually easier to me than logging into MobileMe. It would be easier if the feature was built into Mail as an attachment option. It could then automatically upload the file to one's iDisk and place the link in the email. Why did such a simple feature take so much time, anyway?
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I've been using a workaround by placing a document in my public iDisk folder and then emailing a link to it. (ex, http://idisk.me.com/~user/public/filename). My way is actually easier to me than logging into MobileMe. It would be easier if the feature was built into Mail as an attachment option. It could then automatically upload the file to one's iDisk and place the link in the email. Why did such a simple feature take so much time, anyway?

I do the same thing, but I upload it to my "sites" folder. Your suggestion for Mail integration is great!

Off-topic: Am I the only one who really prefers the "[email protected]" email address? I hope Apple never phases it out completely.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Why not just use dropbox which is FREE and allows you to share the file right from a folder on your machine with a simple right click:

https://www.getdropbox.com/

This and Blacktree's Quicksilver are probably the best pieces of software I have on my machine and they are both free.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    thank you baby jesus!!

I've been waiting for this FOREVER
  • Reply 5 of 83
    why does MobileMe not display my photos in the order I upload them in. And why can't I rearrange them????

99 dollars I will never get back.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gibson10ma View Post

Why not just use dropbox which is FREE and allows you to share the file right from a folder on your machine with a simple right click:

https://www.getdropbox.com/

This and Blacktree's Quicksilver are probably the best pieces of software I have on my machine and they are both free.

Because it requires the people on the other side to install third-party software.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

thank you baby jesus!!

I've been waiting for this FOREVER

you and me both...

• Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gibson10ma View Post

Why not just use dropbox which is FREE and allows you to share the file right from a folder on your machine with a simple right click

Because, like BackToMyMac, I've never gotten this to work. It may be because I have dual-NATting going on in my house (AirPort connected to a DSL modem, neither in bridge mode) but I've never been adventurous enough to change my network setup. So having the hosting done offsite works for me.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    What a joke!

Why anyone would want this file sharing is beyond me. I called Apple customer support and asked why their download bandwidth tops out at 187 KB/sec.

Their answer "Mobile Me customers are not the priority for bandwidth at Apple, software updates are".

So basically they couldn't give a s**t about you and your $100 a year.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules771 View Post

What a joke!

Why anyone would want this file sharing is beyond me. I called Apple customer support and asked why their download bandwidth tops out at 187 KB/sec.

Their answer "Mobile Me customers are not the priority for bandwidth at Apple, software updates are".

So basically they couldn't give a s**t about you and your $100 a year.

If file sharing is your only use for MobileMe, then $100 per year is probably not worth it..

But for $8.33 per month ($100/12) the iPhone/Mac push calendar/mail integration, plus web-hosting, iLife integration, plus imap email account is a pretty decent price. Web hosting alone generally costs more than that.

EDIT: Why is there such a large amount of newly registered users all with complaints about Apple products taking part in these discussions over the past few days? Coincidence or not?
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

If file sharing is your only use for MobileMe, then $100 per year is probably not worth it..

But for $8.33 per month ($100/12) the iPhone/Mac push calendar/mail integration, plus web-hosting, plus imap email account is a pretty decent price. Web hosting alone generally costs more than that.

EDIT: Why is there such a large amount of newly registered users all with complaints about Apple products taking part in these discussions over the past few days? Coincidence or not?

Ooh, new member!! Well, I'll just come right out and admit it, yes, this is Bill Gates writing this post, no point in trying to fool your incredibly sharp deductive reasoning.

As for web hosting costing more than $8.33 a month, perhaps you'd like to do some checking around before you come up with that opinion, say perhaps at Godaddy or OLM?
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

why does MobileMe not display my photos in the order I upload them in. And why can't I rearrange them????

99 dollars I will never get back.

You have to create and album in iPhoto and rearrange them there.

There is a 60 day free MobileMe trial.. Perhaps you should have tried that first before purchasing.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:

As for web hosting costing more than $8.33 a month, perhaps you'd like to do some checking around before you come up with that opinion, say perhaps at Godaddy or OLM?

I have, and as I said, It GENERALLY costs more, not always.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I do the same thing, but I upload it to my "sites" folder. Your suggestion for Mail integration is great!

Off-topic: Am I the only one who really prefers the "[email protected]" email address? I hope Apple never phases it out completely.

I much prefer my @mac name (and would rather not change to @me) ....however on iPhone it doesn't push with the .mac account (in my experience) so already they are forcing the issue with that...

Anyone else got push working with their @mac.com name on iPhone?

Jules.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:

I have, and as I said, It GENERALLY costs more, not always.

Alright, fanboy, calm down.

My original point was that it's a waste of time for Apple to add ftp as their download speeds are ridiculously slow.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Quote:

My original point was that it's a waste of time for Apple to add ftp as their download speeds are ridiculously slow.

And my point was in regards to "they could give a s*** about your $100 per year comment." MobileMe becomes valuable to those who use the service for more than FTP transfer.

Like say keeping contacts, calendars and mail in sync between an iPhone, laptop and desktop.. Or those who additionally wish to easily host a website built in iWeb.
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by julesburt View Post

Anyone else got push working with their @mac.com name on iPhone?

Jules.

Yes, I do..

Both .mac or me.com should work without problems. What is your setup?
  • Reply 18 of 83
    Quote:

And my point was in regards to "they could give a s*** about your $100 per year comment." MobileMe becomes valuable to those who use the service for more than FTP transfer.

Like say keeping contacts, calendars and mail in sync between an iPhone, laptop and desktop.. Or those who additionally wish to easily host a website built in iWeb.

HAHA,

okay, let me revise, since it's obvious you need very literal comments. Apple couldn't give a s**t about their customers when it comes to ftp speeds.

happy now? Appleinsider should really change the forum name from "Applications" to "Solsun's definitive answers and omipotent opinions on Applications"
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:

It's not a waste of time. I find it to be a very valuable feature. I occasionally have to send large files (about once a month or so), currently I put the file in my iDisk and send people a link to my public folder, however this is much easier and lets me control who gets to see what files. And the download speeds are MUCH faster than something like rapidshare.

If I was constantly sharing large files on a daily basis, mobile me wouldn't be the best solution, but for someone like me it's perfect.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:

HAHA,

okay, let me revise, since it's obvious you need very literal comments. Apple couldn't give a s**t about their customers when it comes to ftp speeds.

happy now? Appleinsider should really change the forum name from "Applications" to "Solsun's definitive answers and omipotent opinions on Applications"

Or you could just say what you mean next time.