The Next Macbook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking about buying a Macbook 2.4. I want to upgrade to 4gig of ram. I have looked around alot and have seen macrumors.com thought of when to buy a macbook.

Snow Lepord seems to be the talk of the next macs but does anyone have a clue what hardware updates will happen when the next Macbook comes out.

I need to buy a computer but I would hate to buy it and in 3 months they do a major upgrade or like the white one double the ram. And if they droped the price that would also hurt.

Any thoughts on holding out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    On the aluminum models, they need to offer the same anti glare option they are now offering on the new unibody 17" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They should also offer an anti-shit screen option on the new MacBooks. Those displays are terrible. Pro-level features my ass.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They should also offer an anti-shit screen option on the new MacBooks. Those displays are terrible. Pro-level features my ass.

are the screens that bad?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Yeah, I mean as much as I want to see firewire on the unibody MacBook, I think it's more imperative to have the option of the anti glare display on both this model and the 15" MacBook Pro. Just about every review points out as a "con" the distracting glare on the MacBook's display. Hey the glass screen may look great and personally I am not all that bent out shape about glossy, but some people absolutely cannot stand it and it should at least have the option of being anti glare.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by larryharvey View Post

.yes.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

.yes.

So I guess I should wait. Hell who knows they may throw in some extra ram sometime soon. They have to do something. It is very hard for me to spend 1500 bucks on a computer rright now... economy sucks
  • Reply 7 of 19
    The new 17" MacBook Pro with the anti glare option proves that it could migrate its way down the line to the 15" MacBook Pro and 13" MacBook. And it should be an option on all of Apple's portables.

• Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

So I guess I should wait. Hell who knows they may throw in some extra ram sometime soon. They have to do something. It is very hard for me to spend 1500 bucks on a computer rright now... economy sucks

Wait for what? The glare is not the issue I'm talking about, it's the crappy display they are using under the glass.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Although Ireland already answered previously, I tell you this: if it is possible for you, just go to a shop having both Macbook and Macbook Pro to check out. I did it recently and I was really surprised by the difference in the display quality. And, no it was not a settings or calibration issue. Those settings were accessible to everyone and you could easily tell that the MB display is really low grade.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    While I don't have the money for a new machine (nor the need; the only difference between mine and the new ones is the graphics card and the case), I might go and do that. It would be interesting to see just what the difference is between the new MBs and MBPs.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I've had a look at both the MacBook and MacBook Pro side by side and I can confirm that there is indeed quite a big difference between the quality of the two. The MacBook's screen image is noticeably poorer.

Maybe a cost cutting thing? Time to rethink what goes into these premium products.

Bad Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Wait for what? The glare is not the issue I'm talking about, it's the crappy display they are using under the glass.

With what respect do you say it's crappy? There isn't any Apple retail stores here, so I can't compare it with a MacBook Pro side by side.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Comparing the displays on the MB and MBP side by side, the MBP display is bright and crisp and just pops. The MB display, while OK, looks muted, almost like you are looking through a filter. The off-angle performance of the MB is much worse as well. Comparing the two side by side convinced me to pay the extra $ for the MBP. I have been very happy with the decision.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

With what respect do you say it's crappy? There isn't any Apple retail stores here, so I can't compare it with a MacBook Pro side by side.

Try a PC World.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

I've had a look at both the MacBook and MacBook Pro side by side and I can confirm that there is indeed quite a big difference between the quality of the two. The MacBook's screen image is noticeably poorer.

Maybe a cost cutting thing? Time to rethink what goes into these premium products.

Bad Apple!

Agreed. This is very bad. They need to rethink this BIG-TIME.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    OMFG Ireland you have over 7,000 posts...! *Golf Clap*

Back on topic...

Yeah, the MacBook is all Aluminium and nice and all that but I'm not seeing outstanding value in these tough times. The glossiness and the screen aren't that bad, IMO. PC laptops I see hardly have any LED backlight models.

That 17" antiglare looks real pretty...

Anyways in the meantime I'm rethinking the whole way I finance my Mac usage.

That 9400M White MacBook seems like the "Go To" Mac right now.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Agreed. This is very bad. They need to rethink this BIG-TIME.

They need to rethink seriously coming up with an updated Mac Mini at the least, a possible xMac, update the bloody iMac, get serious about what the Mac Pro is supposed to be, and reduce the prices on the Aluminium MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Hmm... strange rant from me... That kinda came out from nowhere. I guess I've been harbouring some anti-Apple feelings building up since the failnote that was Macworld '09.

I don't mind so much non-premiumness of the MacBook if they dropped the price a little.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

I'm waiting my friend... I've moved to more of a consulting position (so that I can take on freelance assignments, extra cash, also building up a small business with some friends cautiously) so I have to give my client (former employer) about 60 days terms for my monthly fee. They are doing alright, just they're a bit nervy and increasing bureaucracy in the company and everybody's trying to just cover their own ass.

So while they are very unlikely to default on their payments, stupid annoying delays may occur. My savings are more for some "wiggle room"... I don't want to start buying gear and then become a "slave" to waiting for payments from my client. Waiting just because my client's HR/Accounts are illiterate and incompetent*. So I guess, peace of mind and cash savings are quite important this year.

*Sounds real harsh but hey, if I explained it, you'd understand.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm waiting my friend... I've moved to more of a consulting position (so that I can take on freelance assignments, extra cash, also building up a small business with some friends cautiously) so I have to give my client (former employer) about 60 days terms for my monthly fee. They are doing alright, just they're a bit nervy and increasing bureaucracy in the company and everybody's trying to just cover their own ass.

So while they are very unlikely to default on their payments, stupid annoying delays may occur. My savings are more for some "wiggle room"... I don't want to start buying gear and then become a "slave" to waiting for payments from my client. Waiting just because my client's HR/Accounts are illiterate and incompetent*. So I guess, peace of mind and cash savings are quite important this year.

*Sounds real harsh but hey, if I explained it, you'd understand.

I do understand. Most people on here would say do it. Thanks for talking sense.

LH