Apple, AT&T mulling tiered data plans for next iPhone - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Reminder - we're talking about carriers here. They're not going to make things easier on us because of "economic hardship." More likely, they want to jack up the price of the $30 data plan, so they'll provide another plan with a lower rate.

Verizon is adding a My Circle equivalent - but it will cost their newly acquired Alltell customers more than it did at Alltell. So much for economy of scale.

I have to laugh at how brazenly the carriers scoffed at the breakup and reassembled themselves. While passing all the costs of restructuring, re-branding, and reassembling to us.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Reminder - we're talking about carriers here. They're not going to make things easier on us because of "economic hardship." More likely, they want to jack up the price of the $30 data plan, so they'll provide another plan with a lower rate.

Verizon is adding a My Circle equivalent - but it will cost their newly acquired Alltell customers more than it did at Alltell. So much for economy of scale.

I have to laugh at how brazenly the carriers scoffed at the breakup and reassembled themselves. While passing all the costs of restructuring, re-branding, and reassembling to us.

I see it like this and hope I'm right.

In June, Apple and AT&T will have millions of users that will be reaching their 2nd year of their contract. By then, Palm Pre and perhaps a few new Android and who knows what, will be out. We have to hope as iPhone users, that the Pre is really, really good and does a lot. For example we know it does TbT GPS, lets hope it does more like streaming video. Why? This will help force AT&T and hopefully reduce their OVERPRICED package, especially since the US is number #20 in terms of Internet speed WORLD WIDE, you have to wonder how slow we are in terms of Mobile speeds as some countries STREAM FULL TV SHOWS.

In the long run, this should force AT&T to lower prices.

Lets hope as we love our iPhones and need better pricing and phones.

Godspeed to the families of the plane crash last night, God Speed. (If anyone listens to Mac OS Ken, he eeriely says on FEB 12ths PODCAST, anyone see the tree on fire in Buffalo NEW York last night? 12 hours later, a plane crashes there. Very sad, and weird).
  • Reply 23 of 48
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

In June, Apple and AT&T will have millions of users that will be reaching their 2nd year of their contract. By then, Palm Pre and perhaps a few new Android and who knows what, will be out. We have to hope as iPhone users, that the Pre is really, really good and does a lot. For example we know it does TbT GPS, lets hope it does more like streaming video. Why? This will help force AT&T and hopefully reduce their OVERPRICED package, especially since the US is number #20 in terms of Internet speed WORLD WIDE, you have to wonder how slow we are in terms of Mobile speeds as some countries STREAM FULL TV SHOWS.

Lets hope as we love our iPhones and need better pricing and phones.

Godspeed to the families of the plane crash last night, God Speed. (If anyone listens to Mac OS Ken, he eeriely says on FEB 12ths PODCAST, anyone see the tree on fire in Buffalo NEW York last night? 12 hours later, a plane crashes there. Very sad, and weird).

AT&T doesn't care if you upgrade or not to a 3rd generation iphone --- as long as you remain with AT&T --- which means that they will try to sell you a Palm Pre (at a lower handset subsidy) and still charges you about the same in monthly fees.

Broadband speed is so much faster in the rest of the world than the US --- because they LIE about their speed.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12...el_speed_code/

Mobile phones overseas don't stream tv shows --- they just receive standard tv broadcast signals.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Sprint and the Pre are of no threat to the AT&T or the iPhone. Sprint and Palm need the Pre to be a hit just for both to stay in business.

The iPhone is not overpriced in comparison to similar phones and services in the general market.

The iPhone can download and stream full TV shows right now.

Quote:

• Reply 25 of 48
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

isn't Wu the guy that has been wrong more often than right when it comes to Apple stuff. tends to take what he wishes and turn it into some big batch of knowledge. but oops, apparently the bosses at Apple didn't get his memo on what they should be doing.

Munster has been saying about iphone nanos for a long time now. I really like to see you guys say that he is an idiot as well.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Just how many times must it be said that the iPhone is a GSM phone and that the Verizon 'CDMA' network is not compatible with GSM which AT&T and 90% of the world runs on. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...m-and-cdma.htm

This is a moot point, but Verizon actually had first shot at the iPhone and turned it down. Thus proving that Apple is completely capable of making (and more than likely has already made at least one prototype) a CDMA based iPhone.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

A little Econ 101 for ya. Wireless internet speeds in other countries will not affect ATT one iota because ATT is in no way competing against those carriers.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    sprint has a 50$ unlimited everything plan that's where

AT&T verizon sees pressure not phone price it's the monthly

Bill problem people see. People have become smarter

When it comes from smart phones

It's the monthly plan costs.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

The solution is not to offer tiered data plans, it is to lower the cost of ridiculously expensive cellphone, data and text messaging plans.

Agreed. althoough I'm gonna be flammed especially by those who have a hatred for AT&T but I would like to see the philosophy that the longer the contract, the lower the data plan. They got your phone plan rates and for a longer period of time.

I'd say $40.00/mo for unlimited data for a one year commitment.

$30.00/mo for unlimited data for a two year commitment.

$20.00/mo for unlimited data for a three year commitment.

$10.00/mo for unlimited data for a four year commitment.

$5.00/mo for unlimited data for a five year commitment.

I've been with my current cell provider for 5 years easy and I just pay for talk for $44.00 a month for the past five years. So to add the cost of lunch at a fast food hamburger chain, i'd pay the $5.00 a month to get unlimited data for internet, e-mail etc.

Just my thoughts. How many out there, how long have you been with your current phone provider?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Tim Cooke has said their will be no iPhone nano. All Apple has to do is sell the current iPhone for $99, and sell a new iPhone with new technology at a higher price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Munster has been saying about iphone nanos for a long time now. I really like to see you guys say that he is an idiot as well.

• Reply 31 of 48
    Sprint has been forced to offer highly competitive rates to attempt to stop the hemorrhaging of subscribers. Most of Sprints lost subscribers are going to AT&T and Verizon. So who is the pressure on?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

sprint has a 50$ unlimited everything plan that's where

AT&T verizon sees pressure not phone price it's the monthly

Bill problem people see. People have become smarter

When it comes from smart phones

It's the monthly plan costs.

• Reply 32 of 48
    I don't think this is a bad idea. But both AT&T and Verizon have very successful businesses and their isn't much incentive for them to do this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Agreed. althoough I'm gonna be flammed especially by those who have a hatred for AT&T but I would like to see the philosophy that the longer the contract, the lower the data plan. They got your phone plan rates and for a longer period of time.

• Reply 33 of 48
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Just how many times must it be said that the iPhone is a GSM phone and that the Verizon 'CDMA' network is not compatible with GSM which AT&T and 90% of the world runs on. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...m-and-cdma.htm

He just doesn't want lost connections (AT&T) like we constantly read on here and unlike what the rest of the world experiences.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

What is this article referring to? iPhone talk plans cost exactly the same as talk plans for any other mobile phone. The data plan costs an extra $30 a month. Where is this "$70+" figure coming from. It is simply not true.

You have to have the data plan... $30

You have to have a phone plan... $39 (450 min - this is the lowest price plan)

Total $69

Taxes + Fees add another $9 (give or take a few)

Total $70+ This is where the figure comes from... so yes it is True...
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I believe that should be 'belief.'

So, what' the basis for Wu's belief? If his sources said that new phones are being held up because of 'fine-tuning of its go-to-market' strategy, how is that a comment on tiered pricing? Btw, doesn't the iPhone have tiered pricing already (at least three data plans at different price levels)? And, if these plans were so onerous, how come the iPhone has become a best-seller?

I don't know about this Wu guy.......

No ATT doesn't have a tiered data plan - its $30 unlimited. Texting is broken out as a separate charge $5 for 200 messages up to $20 unlimited, and the phone plans start at $39 for 450 mins.. and goes up to unlimited for $99.

so if you did the full plan it would be $30 date, $99 phone, $20 texting.... or $150+ taxes and fees...

Its no mystery that the economy is cooked... ATT and other companies (think cable) need to rethink how much they charge for their services - if one has to chose to eat or spend money on minutes one never uses, eating will win that budget battle... every business is rethinking its strategy and ATT is wise to do so (assuming Wu really has some insider info).

Wish list:

iPhone Go Phone 8g, same form factor as current 3G - all the features without the expensive phone plan... optional data plan (you can connect to web via wifi if you want to skip the plan)
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I'm telling ya...in the US a Verizon based iPhone would kick ass and take names!

Keep dreaming. Verizon is shit. Verizon screws their customer by trying to charge for features built into the phone! Verizon would disable the entire iPhone and make you pay for every little feature. Case in point: My Moto Razr phone with AT&T had Bluetooth enabled. A friend of mine had the same phone but with Verizon. The software on the phone sucked, and they disabled the Bluetooth! If Verizon could charge you a monthly service for just turning on the phone everyday, they would!
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Shouldn't the article be called: "Shaw Wu pulls more crap out of his ass and expects his idiot readers and investors to believe the shit he is trying to shovel."
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotRs View Post

This is a moot point, but Verizon actually had first shot at the iPhone and turned it down. Thus proving that Apple is completely capable of making (and more than likely has already made at least one prototype) a CDMA based iPhone.

Incorrect. Apple went to carriers BEFORE they designed a phone. All of them turned it down except for AT&T that knew whatever Apple would come up with would be successful. The other carriers are a bunch of dumbasses. This was specifically stated in the keynote that originally announced the phone. So they didn't have any prototype to show anyone.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,862member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Keep dreaming. Verizon is shit. Verizon screws their customer by trying to charge for features built into the phone! Verizon would disable the entire iPhone and make you pay for every little feature. Case in point: My Moto Razr phone with AT&T had Bluetooth enabled. A friend of mine had the same phone but with Verizon. The software on the phone sucked, and they disabled the Bluetooth! If Verizon could charge you a monthly service for just turning on the phone everyday, they would!

Yes, they're phones suck and I can't stand the fact that Verizon controls every move you make. People say Apple is bad, Verizon is worse. I bet this is why Verizon turned Apple down. You know Apple wouldn't allow Verizon do what they normally do with their ohones.

Their wireless service on the other hand is the best out there in the US hands down. This is what I was referring to. AT&T wireless service, just plain blows. Their 3G coverage is a joke! Verizon's 3G coverage is pretty damn good. I could even get it here out in the sticks.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,862member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

No shit sherlock! Apple could always design a CDMA iPhone. Thats why I said US only.