Apple sued for iPhone screen tech; 17-inch MacBook Pro shipping

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has been served a lawsuit for allegedly infringing on patents with the iPhone's graphics technology. Also, the company has started delivering unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro systems to early buyers.

Apple sued regarding iPhone graphics technology

Mobile software developer Picsel Technologies has sued Apple this week in a Delaware federal district court under the belief that the graphics renderer in the iPhone and iPod touch treads on multiple patents.

By using particular techniques to speed up panning and zooming for images and other documents, Apple is effectively borrowing Picsel's own acceleration to make the iPhone work as smoothly as it does, the complaint reads.

Unlike many of these suits, the plaintiff already has major customers for its software that primarily include Japanese firms like KDDI and Sharp but also include American phone manufacturers such as Motorola and Palm. It's unclear whether these existing relationships also involve the specific technology used by Apple.

If successful in court, Picsel would tie the claimed damages to the number of iPhones already sold and would look to triple the amount as a punitive measure.

Unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro now shipping

Readers have told AppleInsider that their orders for the redesigned 17-inch MacBook Pro have started shipping as of Friday.

First launched in January at Macworld, the system first showed signs of delay when some customers were told their orders would likely slip into March despite promises it would ship in late January. Early this month, the company let many of these buyers know that their orders wouldn't ship for about two weeks due to problems "wrapping up" production.

What triggered the delay is unknown, though the 17-inch MacBook Pro is considered a technology vehicle for Apple. It includes a new, sealed battery that reportedly lasts 8 hours on a charge and also upgrades the display with a 60 percent wider color gamut helpful in visual editing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    I see another frivolous lawsuit against Apple.....

The 17" MBP shipping...Finally! Now certain people can stop bitching about their order. See...good things come to those who wait!
  • Reply 2 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

The 17" MBP shipping...Finally! Now certain people can stop bitching about their order. See...good things come to those who wait!

How do you know it's frivolous?
  • Reply 3 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "Ships in 3 to 4 weeks", both Apple.com and on the Irish store.
  • Reply 4 of 70
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

It seems a little premature to call this suit "frivolous." From this limited report, it sounds like this is a company that made some innovations and is actively implementing and marketing them. Now, I know nothing about the details of the alleged infringement (and neither does anybody else who has this report as their only source of information) but this does not sound like some non-productive patent-hoarding innovation-parasite lawsuit.

Unless you believe that all technology patents should be invalidated. But I don't think that fans of Apple are hoping for that!
  • Reply 5 of 70
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    This delay on the 17 inch MacBook Pro is exactly why Apple doesn't want to be pressured to release products on a predetermined day (ex. MacWorld), rather than one of their own choosing. Hence, their withdrawal from all the Mac conferences around the world.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

This delay on the 17 inch MacBook Pro is exactly why Apple doesn't want to be pressured to release products on a predetermined day (ex. MacWorld), rather than one of their own choosing. Hence, their withdrawal from all the Mac conferences around the world.

Then don't announce a fricking ship date if they continually can't deliver.

Their website still says 3-4 weeks. Did Apple ship out 10 computers so they could announce they are shipping?

Here's hoping it doesn't have the same audio plug that the 15" has on it.

Good luck with your new 17" $3,000 beta tester machines.

With their current trend this would put the new iPhone in the September-November time frame.

If they can actually release it with this new law suit to deal with.
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Looking forward to hearing actual usage times for the 8-hour battery.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Their website still says 3-4 weeks. Did Apple ship out 10 computers so they could announce they are shipping?

Here's hoping it doesn't have the same audio plug that the 15" has on it.

Good luck with your new 17" $3,000 beta tester machines.

With their current trend this would put the new iPhone in the September-November time frame.

If they can actually release it with this new law suit to deal with.

Do you ever get tired of complaining about products you don't own?
  • Reply 9 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Looking forward to hearing actual usage times for the 8-hour battery.

So does the 8 hours start when it was announced, when Apple said it was shipped or when you actually get your computer?
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you ever get tired of complaining about products you don't own?

I own 4 iPods and 2 iPhones. And no I don't get tired of pointing out Apple's continual problems. It's just too easy these days! Every fricking product they ship has problems.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Should have my 'beta' 17inch on Monday - fedex tells me it will be here. I ordered a glossy. Originally ordered the matte, but then when I noticed the matte screen looked like a kluge i changed my order. Hope those 8 hours are realistic
  • Reply 12 of 70
    Quote:

I own 4 iPods and 2 iPhones. And no I don't get tired of pointing out Apple's continual problems. It's just too easy these days! Every fricking product they ship has problems.

So then, you don't get tired of complaining about products you don't own.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    Quote:

So then, you don't get tired of complaining about products you don't own.

Not at all. You don't have to own something to READ what others are going through.

I put up with enough bullshit from Apple for the iPhone & 3G iPhone's I own which hasn't been stable since firmware 1.1.4
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Quote:

Then stop buying their products.

(Also stop all the blind criticism of products you do not own and have no experience with)
  • Reply 15 of 70
    What the hell - is Apple the most sued non-health-related company on the planet??!!

Their lawyers must make a fortune defending useless suits.
  • Reply 16 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Not at all. You don't have to own something to READ what others are going through.

I put up with enough bullshit from Apple for the iPhone & 3G iPhone's I own which hasn't been stable since firmware 1.1.4

Then why don't you go buy something else if Apple pisses you off so much?
  • Reply 17 of 70
    Quote:

Then why don't you go buy something else if Apple pisses you off so much?

Bah! Being happy and content is soooo overrated.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

Bah! Being happy and content is soooo overrated.

Haha...apparently so!

I bet he always got candy in the checkout isle as a child....
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Quote:

No one's receieved one yet, so how the fuck would you know if it has any problems?
  • Reply 20 of 70
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

So, just announce it and say it will ship in next couple of months? That sounds like a perfect strategy.

Or maybe it would be better to wait until you have some inventory and than announce the product?