Apple sued for iPhone screen tech; 17-inch MacBook Pro shipping

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do you ever get tired of complaining about products you don't own?

MacOldTimer continually complains about everything all the time, whether he owns it or not. He also complains about things not even related to Macs or the thread he is commenting on.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It seems a little premature to call this suit "frivolous." From this limited report, it sounds like this is a company that made some innovations and is actively implementing and marketing them. Now, I know nothing about the details of the alleged infringement (and neither does anybody else who has this report as their only source of information) but this does not sound like some non-productive patent-hoarding innovation-parasite lawsuit.

Unless you believe that all technology patents should be invalidated. But I don't think that fans of Apple are hoping for that!

This is more than likely a "show me" action like the one taken by that company that had the patent on capacitive touch screens last year.

Apple came out with the iPhone touch screen and said it was capacitive, so the company that (thought!) they had a lock on capacitive touch screens took them to task over it so Apple would have to either pay them for a licence or prove their technology was different. They made a huge noise over how Apple *had* to be using their tech but in the end they backed down as (presumably) Apple proved theirs was a different method.

In this case, it probably looks like Apple is using the same tech as these guys, so the case is brought mostly for Apple to be forced to prove that they aren't (if they aren't) in court. This is because they can't ask (and Apple can't tell them), exactly how they accelerate their GUI or whatever, unless it's under court order and in secret with lawyers etc.

At least that's my take on it as those are all standard things that happen all the time in these sorts of things.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

MacOldTimer continually complains about everything all the time, whether he owns it or not. He also complains about things not even related to Macs or the thread he is commenting on.

Yeah, Macoldtimer is like a Victor Meldrew for macs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_J6IvnawDw
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordyoupeoplearedense View Post

No one's receieved one yet, so how the fuck would you know if it has any problems?

Because Apple hasn't put out a Rev 1 product for at least 10 years that wasn't a POS.

Even the Apple FanBoys know this and stay away from them.

I'll give it until next Friday before AI has the first report of problems.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

So, just announce it and say it will ship in next couple of months? That sounds like a perfect strategy.

Or maybe it would be better to wait until you have some inventory and than announce the product?

You're right. That worked so well for them "AGAIN".

Announce a product and don't have inventory for a couple months and piss off your customers by taking Pre-Orders when they knew they couldn't meet it.

That's nothing short of brilliant.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    So they don't know that Apple is infringing on anything, but they are suing with the assumption that they are? LOL, what a joke. The integrated CPU/GPU on the iPhone is powerful enough to almost be a small mobile computer by itself, why does Apple necessarily have to be using some fancy acceleration techniques for scrolling other than what it already does in its desktop code?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Because Apple hasn't put out a Rev 1 product for at least 10 years that wasn't a POS.

I have never once had a Rev1 product turn out to be a POS. PPC to Intel switch, bought a MacBook. Sold two years later never any major problems - just a MINOR issue with heat with was resolved with a firmware update - yeah firmware not new hardware. Rev 1 iPhone - still running strong - no problems. New Aluminum MacBook - Rev 1 - NEVER A SINGLE PROBLEMS AND NO COMPLAINTS.

Now I'm not your average user either. I'm a real etate agent, loan officer, software developer/CEO. My devices are always on and highly used. The drives get filled, wiped and filled again.

Apple hardware and software is second to none. Respectfully stable and secure.

Does that mean Apple doesn't have some issues here and there - OF COURSE NOT! In the real world every company has QA problems. Things happen in the manufacturing process. Mistakes are made in code. Shit happens.

The only reason you complain is because you keep looking for reasons to complain. Go hang out on a Dell forum or even a forum for Sony computers. Where are they?

Apple's dirt is front page news because it's customers are very vocal and passionate about the products they buy from Apple.

But then again you issue isn't even with Apple. God has an answer for the bitterness in your heart. He wants to help. It's OK. It's time to get healed.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

My rev 1 MBP 17" is great. But then you don't own one so you have no clue.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

I own 4 iPods and 2 iPhones. And no I don't get tired of pointing out Apple's continual problems. It's just too easy these days! Every fricking product they ship has problems.

Ignore Solipism- he's always condescending when anything is said that might interfere with his Apple Kool-aid drip.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Ignore Solipism- he's always condescending when anything is said that might interfere with his Apple Kool-aid drip.

I figured he was just mad that his life like Steve doll was delayed with his order.

Personally I find it funny how all the little FanBoys gather together when anyone has anything bad to day about Apple even when it's true.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I figured he was just mad that his life like Steve doll was delayed with his order.

Personally I find it funny how all the little FanBoys gather together when anyone has anything bad to day about Apple even when it's true.

The problem with you, Teckstud and your ilk is that you state your opinion as a fact and somehow convince yourself that it must be true because of it. You also never point out any of the pros of, well, anything. Everything has its pros and cons. If you paid attention to all the posters you attack as "fanboys" when you are losing a logical argument you would see that they point pros and cons, while stating their opinions as opinions and often avoiding absolutes, woe-is-me comments and "applecolyptic" statements about how the company is headed for disaster.

Could you try being balanced, fair and logical, or is "the sky is falling" all you know?

edit: Here is an example of how your post could have sounded more intelligent, logical, balanced and less hostile.
    MacOldTimer: "Because Apple hasn't put out a Rev 1 product for at least 10 years that wasn't a POS."

RationalPoster: "I can't recall an Apple product in the last decade that didn't have major Rev 1 issues."

Difference: You still state your opinion as you know it to be true, but it is no longer an absolute statement of fact that isn't up for discussion.

MacOldTimer: "Even the Apple FanBoys know this and stay away from them.

RationalPoster: "I recall reading--on these very forums--that many Mac faithfuls also avoid Macs with too many new components."

Difference: You avoid the slanted "fanboy" comment that clearly doesn't help your argument. Note: Many people, avoid any new CE right out of the gate, not just from Apple. I have a unibody MB,but I waited a couple weeks to see if there were any issues with the Nvidia chips before buying. It's still Rev 1, mind you.

MacOldTimer: "I'll give it until next Friday before AI has the first report of problems."

RationalPoster: "Based on my recollection of previous releases, I expect that if there are any HW issues with these new Mac notebooks, we should know about them within a week of them being received."

Difference: You have an unproven conjecture of what you think will occur based on your perception of the past.
    PS: My lifesized Steve doll is not made be Apple. My mother made it for me.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Yeah, Macoldtimer is like a Victor Meldrew for macs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_J6IvnawDw

Yeah, except Victor Meldrew is actually funny and somewhat of a sympathetic character.

Macoldtimer is 100% pure vinegar, all the time.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Not at all. You don't have to own something to READ what others are going through.

I put up with enough bullshit from Apple for the iPhone & 3G iPhone's I own which hasn't been stable since firmware 1.1.4

Hey, he read it on the Internet!! It must be true right?!

I own iPods, iPhones, and Macs. Love em all. Haven't had a single problem with any of them.

You read it here! Therefore, I just canceled-out your static.

Perhaps the problems may not be hardware/software related but user error?
  • Reply 34 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Not at all. You don't have to own something to READ what others are going through.

I put up with enough bullshit from Apple for the iPhone & 3G iPhone's I own which hasn't been stable since firmware 1.1.4

Sorry to hear this. Must be you have lemons or it's something you are doing, ours are rock solid, so don't give up .
  • Reply 35 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Too funny. You should start selling those dolls, your mum could make a fortune.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

If you had problems with your iPhone since 1.1.4 then why did you buy the 3G?!

Any rational person would not buy the same bad product twice.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If you had problems with your iPhone since 1.1.4 then why did you buy the 3G?!

Any rational person would not buy the same bad product twice.

Attributed to Einstein: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Should have my 'beta' 17inch on Monday - fedex tells me it will be here. I ordered a glossy. Originally ordered the matte, but then when I noticed the matte screen looked like a kluge i changed my order. Hope those 8 hours are realistic

Just curious when you placed your order and whether you customized it at all (ie. upgraded proc, mem, etc.). I placed my order just before 3PM EST on Jan 6th and upgraded the cpu and disk drive. After the ship date changed on Feb 4th (my original ship date) to Feb 19th, there has been no further change. I'm trying to gauge for myself whether my mbp might actually ship earlier than currently indicated or if one of the upgrades might be the reason for the delay. I would appreciate any info you are willing to share. Thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    People were complaining that Apple would be the bad guy if they sued Palm or HTC or whatever company for using Multi-Touch patent, but it's okay if somebody else sues Apple over a patent.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:

and also upgrades the display with a 60 percent wider color gamut

Can anyone explain what this means?