Apple and EFF argue over iPhone jailbreaking

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And why do you use the word "fanboy" every time someone disagrees with your opinion?

solipsism

Posts: 7,347 Get a Fricking life. 7,347 posts in less than 3 years. I'd call that pathetic as well as Fanboy.
  • Reply 82 of 94
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Yikes...thats just over the line there. Why does everything have to resort to name calling and put downs? Can't we have an intelligent conversation? Can't we realize that what you say some people may or may not agree with? This is the point of the forum. To express options, help people, etc. If you can't handle this, then why are you here?
  • Reply 83 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yikes...thats just over the line there. Why does everything have to resort to name calling and put downs? Can't we have an intelligent conversation? Can't we realize that what you say some people may or may not agree with? This is the point of the forum. To express options, help people, etc. If you can't handle this, then why are you here?

It is a last resort of the shortsided debater to resort to insults. But he is coming here with the idea that his opinions are static facts so there is no possible way to disagree, or even question what he and others state. Sometimes it humourous but usually it weakens the thread's flow... like now as we discuss his rage and not the original topic. \
  • Reply 84 of 94
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

solipsism

Posts: 7,347 Get a Fricking life. 7,347 posts in less than 3 years. I'd call that pathetic as well as Fanboy.

Quote:

It is a last resort of the shortsided debater to resort to insults. But he is coming here with the idea that his opinions are static facts so there is no possible way to disagree, or even question what he and others state. Sometimes it humourous but usually it weakens the thread's flow... like now as we discuss his rage and not the original topic. \

Its not shortsighted debator, he is a 'Mass debator'. Macoldtimer was spotted mass debating in the post office queue last week. The dirty old man. He also has forum tourettes syndrome.
  • Reply 85 of 94
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    I´m not really intressted in jailbreaking and had waited untill 3 weeks ago when I just couldnt wait for apple to do what they promissed. Angry and fu"#/&in pissed off I thought that enough is enough. I wanted to have my instant messenger in the background!!!! Why is it more that a HALF A YEAR from the arrival of the phone and we dont have the ability for "push notification service". The whole thing makes me want to take the phone back but I think i would have a difficult time so long after the purchace to make a point on waiting for what I was promised to have on the phone.

What really makes me have a rash is that according to rumours the next hw-model would have this promised feature and we old users would have to purchase this new software update...

Well now im jailbroken and i can use the instant messenger program all the time in the background!!!!!

Im happy for _now_, still angry about having to do this for myself.... (something that Apple should have done already)

Im also dumbfounded about the things I read hear about illegal software I agree that the software I want that are not on appstore are open source projects like vlc for one... and I cant see the free software comming to the store with these policies that are affective now. Maybe things change but im not holding my breath on that. I still would like it to not be illegal to install vlc on my jailbroken phone when it gets more stable...
  • Reply 86 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

I wanted to have my instant messenger in the background!!!! Why is it more that a HALF A YEAR from the arrival of the phone and we dont have the ability for "push notification service". The whole thing makes me want to take the phone back but I think i would have a difficult time so long after the purchace to make a point on waiting for what I was promised to have on the phone.

If you bought the phone with the expectation of the Push Notification Service running I think you would have a case. I would expect Apple to just settle out of court by reimbursing your phone and having your plan canceled, unless you can prove that you have somehow incurred damages by not having your IMs pushed to you.

Quote:

What really makes me have a rash is that according to rumours the next hw-model would have this promised feature and we old users would have to purchase this new software update...

iPhone users aren't required to pay for firmware updates, but it is possible that the HW may be changed to a point that Apple not update the original and current iPhone firmware with anything more than some bug fixes and some app updates. My reasoning is, if Apple does move iPhone OS X to be Snow Leopard-based and they do use new Nvidia chipsets and different ARM CPUs, they may find that the effort to outweighs the benefit. These numbers will be crunched!

I doubt that Apple purposely didn't leave a completely working PNS out of the revisions come September as it is value added for the current product. They probably ran into some unforeseen issues; this does happen from time to time.

Quote:

Im also dumbfounded about the things I read hear about illegal software I agree that the software I want that are not on appstore are open source projects like vlc for one... and I cant see the free software comming to the store with these policies that are affective now. Maybe things change but im not holding my breath on that. I still would like it to not be illegal to install vlc on my jailbroken phone when it gets more stable...

There are many free apps for desktops that can not make it into the App Store. Some, like Adium, use open source components who won't allow the developer to distribute through a closed system like the App Store, while others, like VLC, use many codecs without paying for licenses so it can't be distributed through an American company like Apple without unleashing throngs of lawyers. C'est la vie.
  • Reply 87 of 94
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Is it just me? I can't see any of MacOldTimer's posts anymore.

I'm worried about the poor old fart. Cumon solipsism... what have you done with him?
  • Reply 88 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I'm worried about the poor old fart. Cumon solipsism... what have you done with him?

I had nothing to do with it... I swear to Jobs*. It looks likes the mods had enough. There is always another new poster ready to take his place, but hopefully we'll have some threads that stay on topic for a few days.

* MacOldTimer isn't even around to call me a "fanboy" for making such a comment.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:

It looks likes the mods had enough.

Can they do that? I'm just surprised. All his posts (since the beginning of time) have just vanished.

Steve Jobs 'aint so sick after all.
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Quote:

Can they do that? I'm just surprised. All his posts (since the beginning of time) have just vanished.

There is an option in vBulletin that will remove a poster. There is even a way to put the poster in an invisible limbo state called Ultimate Ignore where he can be logged in, create posts, and see everything as it is normal, but only he and the admins can see what he has written. Since he just vanished and we aren't seeing the usual Blocked User banner under the user's name I am betting this is what is going on.

PS: There is a seldom used literary term that vButtelin uses but I can't think of it.
  • Reply 91 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

He's done mild personal attacks regularly and apparently he's gotten a little carried away. I don't know if it was quoted in post #78, but it does follow a pattern of MOT. Sometimes, if he can't get anywhere in a discussion, he'll fire off some ad hominems.

I don't know what the most recent one was, a different mod took action. I'm not sure if I would have taken action because of past entaglements/ heated discussions with MOT, I'd prefer a more objective person do that.
  • Reply 92 of 94
    Quote:

There is even a way to put the poster in an invisible limbo state called Ultimate Ignore

I used to have a girlfriend who did that.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    How ridiculous Apple's reasoning is becomes clear when one understands the future of this all:

- The iPhone and the iPod are full Macs running Mac OS X. These computers are more powerful than a Mac of a few years ago, pretty much on par with a PowerMac from ca. 1999.

-The cell phone part of an iPhone is a separate device within the same case, much like a built-in modem. Apple protecting the cellular network only requires protecting what's going on on that device, not locking up the entire iPhone computer.

- Just about all the other reasons for the lock-up would apply to all Mac laptops: battery charging, thermal control, etc. Some of them, like thermal control, even apply to my trusty old PowerMac G5, which has OS controlled fan speed, where a malicious kernel extension could keep the fan speed low to the point where the CPUs melt. But that's no reason to lock up the Mac.

- Within a few years the iPhone will be powerful enough to replace your laptop and desktop, much lke OLO and OQO show with their designs and existing products. Your Mac will then just be a docking station with extended storage, while the actual computer will be your iPhone. Still think a locked up iPhone is a good idea?

- the whole ide of a "trusted chain" is an euphemism for corporate tyranny. The word "trust" is actually defined in the military as "ability to do harm", a trusted device is a device that can do harm if the trust is broken. In a chain of trust, you delegate the trust to some third party, rather than being trusted yourself. I rather harm myself than opening myself up to be harmed by some third party (Apple, government, cell phone carriers, etc.) A chain of trust gives a false sense of security and lowers your guard that should be up, not down. For more on the perils of trusted computing: tcpa-faq or trusted computing: promise and risk

- all oppressive rules are passed and pushed while there is no real problem. Right now, jailbreaking is no big deal, so if it were illegal, the loss would be minimal (albeit real, e.g. some of the remote admin work I can do from my iPhone would no longer be possible). However, once the precedent is set, this could be expanded to things like netbooks, laptops with built-in 3G/4G networking, and eventually to the entire Mac/AppleTV/iPod/iPhone etc. ecosystem.

- the idea of "taking your money elsewhere" is nice in theory, but in practice only workable in commodity markets. That is why all industries kill what used to be standard products (screws, razor blades, light bulbs, type writer ribbons) and turn new versions of these into non-standard anti-competitive products which are often covered by design patents, copyrights, etc. (ink jet printer refills, modern razor cartridges, custom fasteners, all sorts of designer lights, etc.) all of which are designed to bypass a competitive market and lock users into a product such that an artificially high price can be charged.

As a result, if you care about the future, you should visit here, and lend your support:

free your phone
  • Reply 94 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

There is an option in vBulletin that will remove a poster. There is even a way to put the poster in an invisible limbo state called Ultimate Ignore where he can be logged in, create posts, and see everything as it is normal, but only he and the admins can see what he has written. Since he just vanished and we aren't seeing the usual Blocked User banner under the user's name I am betting this is what is going on.

PS: There is a seldom used literary term that vButtelin uses but I can't think of it.

Maybe imprimatur? I can't find any seldom used literary terms in vBulletin unless vButtelin is some competing program that I don't know about.