10.3: Will we pay full price?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When 10.3 rolls around, do you think we will pay full price? Don't mistaken this thread for bitching--I am completely happy to fork over $130 for Jaguar, and can justify every dime spent on it. If Apple continues with its yearly X release, should we pay a hundred and thirty smackers in August 2003 for all the latest goodies?

Apple's branding model has changed. It can be said that the decimal has moved one place to the right. We used to pay for entire numeric upgrades to the Mac OS, but with X, we now pay for point upgrades, albeit at much slower intervals. One user pointed out that the move from 10 to 11 could take as long as 1 to 9 did.

Jobs said that the underlining technologies that have become available since 10.0 onward has allowed them to progress at amazing speeds. These point releases aren't just improvements, but rather new operating systems, creating gaps like the one from 7 to 8. Paying a yearly cost each time a new operating system release approaches in August really isn't so bad--you are getting the full version, with no lame "upgrade" restrictions, and Microsoft charges almost DOUBLE for this and uses the same annual tactics. Thoughts?

(And yes, I know there's already a plethora of threads out there, but tossing it into the amalgamated madness of "APPL IZ CHARGIN FOR iTOOLS OH GOD I AM LIEK GOING TO DELL.COM RITE NOW!" and "SH!T, DAWG, 10.2 SUXX CUZ MY iBOOK DUNT GOT QUARTS EXTREEM!" would have easily allowed this post to get swallowed up, unnoticed.)

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: Jon Rubinstein ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon Rubinstein:

<strong>(And yes, I know there's already a plethora of threads out there, but tossing it into the amalgamated madness of "APPL IZ CHARGIN FOR iTOOLS OH GOD I AM LIEK GOING TO DELL.COM RITE NOW!" and "SH!T, DAWG, 10.2 SUXX CUZ MY iBOOK DUNT GOT QUARTS EXTREEM!" would have easily allowed this post to get swallowed up, unnoticed.)

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: Jon Rubinstein ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL!

• Reply 2 of 24
    Agreed. Jaguar could have easily been re-branded as 10.5 or even 11. It's just a name. The magnitude of this dot-release is easily on par with other major "integer" upgrades.

If Apple calls the next major upgrade 10.3, then, yes, I believe they will and should charge for it.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 24
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I just wonder, if a "small" .x-upgrade have got 150 new features, how many new features and refinements does a large X.-upgrade have?
  • Reply 4 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud:

<strong>I just wonder, if a "small" .x-upgrade have got 150 new features, how many new features and refinements does a large X.-upgrade have?</strong><hr></blockquote>You've totally missed the point.

It's just a name.

Jaguar *does* have enough features and fixes to be called OS 11, but Apple wants to hold on to the X moniker as long as it can.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    jakemanjakeman Posts: 22member
    Q: 10.3: Will we pay full price?

A: unknown

next?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    [quote]Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud:

<strong>I just wonder, if a "small" .x-upgrade have got 150 new features, how many new features and refinements does a large X.-upgrade have?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well the last large X. upgrade added unix, preemptive multitasking, and protected memory.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    As long as the features, as is such in the $129 10.2, warrant a purchase price, you bet I will.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    pay twice? no, you'll pay thrice!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>You've totally missed the point.

It's just a name.

Jaguar *does* have enough features and fixes to be called OS 11, but Apple wants to hold on to the X moniker as long as it can.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You've totally missed my point.

I know it's just a name, and that Jaguar does have enough features to add a 1 to the 10, but still, Apple chose not to. Why?

Do they have a new definition of what a X.-upgrade should be, as in, it it has to be truely revolutionary? (Like OS 10.0)

johnsonwax made a little point.

however, I have no belief in that they will try to repeat a 9 - 10-upgrade in many years, but what will the difference be between a X.-upgrade and a .x-upgrade?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Cheeter to Puma and Puma to Jaguar are in the same ball-park IMHO.

If you agree with me, then Apple will probably continue to charge $129 until the recession is over, then maybe go back to $99 full versions and $19 s+h upgrades.

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Barto:

<strong>Cheeter to Puma and Puma to Jaguar are in the same ball-park IMHO.</strong><hr></blockquote>

well, more or less. remember, when Cheetah was out, everybody bitched and screamed about that the OS was unusable (I paid $129 for an OS I can't use, and I'll not pay $129 more to be able to do that and etc. whinewhine), and very few people switched. they had to release something that would make people use OS 10, and they couln't exactly jump from X to XI. Then they released Puma, and people actually found out that they could use the OS, it was fast enough, had features enough and applications were starting to pop out from everywhere. People are now waiting for the upgrade that will make the OS they use better.

(damned, I forgot what to say, maybe I'll edit later)
  • Reply 12 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Well this won't be so much of an issue because as OSX get's better people will be less likely to upgrade if their current Macs are running fine. This means paid updates will need more features to entice macians to upgrade. The road get's a little tougher for Apple and sweeter for us!
  • Reply 13 of 24
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>Well this won't be so much of an issue because as OSX get's better people will be less likely to upgrade if their current Macs are running fine. This means paid updates will need more features to entice macians to upgrade. The road get's a little tougher for Apple and sweeter for us!</strong><hr></blockquote>

We are in rough agreement. Part of the reason that 10.2 is so different from 10.1.x is that there was so much to do at the beginning. It seems that 10.2 will be so good that many of us would be happy using it for a couple of years unless some really killer app comes out for 10.3 in which case we'll be happy to cough up the cash.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Jaguar was a major, major revision to OS X and I think that it'll be like 8.5 or 9.1 (not in numbering scheme but in concept) in that it's pretty close to being a really complete, stable OS that will only require minor, free updates from now on. Whether future updates go by 10.2.x or 10.x we don't know, but if 10.1 to 10.2 is so big of a change, we'll probably be staying at 10.2.x for quite a while. This is the version of OS X that Apple wants everyone to have. This is the one that fully embodies the spirit of OS X. I think the next major revision of the OS will be OS XI.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    dxp4acudxp4acu Posts: 45member
    I think you all miss something here. Almost all of you have friends that are teachers, kids that go to school, college friends, etc. Well, they can get OS X.2 for 69 dollars. So if you do that for both X.2 and X.3 then you would have spent about the same as for one 129 one. Think about it.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 24
    brianmacosbrianmacos Posts: 548member
    [quote]Originally posted by dxp4acu:

<strong>I think you all miss something here. Almost all of you have friends that are teachers, kids that go to school, college friends, etc. Well, they can get OS X.2 for 69 dollars. So if you do that for both X.2 and X.3 then you would have spent about the same as for one 129 one. Think about it.

Lemon Bon Bon</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are a smart man, It pays to be in school or atleast know some one in school some times.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    one thing is someone says OS TEN it sounds really cool- OS11 doesn't go as well. So I think apple is holding on as long as it can to the X logo and saying OSX. Having these .x upgrades are just like moving from OS8 to OS9 or win95 to win98. Apple is just trying to hold on to the OS Ten branding for as long as it can.

Which is fine by my- I luuuuv saying that I run OS TEN and not 9 or 8 or windoz 2000 or stupid XP.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    You'll notice that although the OS is officially called 10.2, the Jaguar name is far emphasized over the version number.

Starfleet is totally right about the decimal point being shifted over one place. It's clearly a major upgrade. (I still think $129 is too much -- it should be $99. Hopefully that will return when and if Apple is in more secure financial shape.)

The really smart, fun thing about this new naming scheme (if it works for 10.2 sales and Apple keeps it) is that is it

- allows Apple to keep their Ten / "X" branding

- allows for cool names each upgrade

- allows for a lot of play and variation of the X logo

Personally, I'm looking forward to future velvet-cloaked, titantium-sheathed, lightning-crackling Xes to come.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Also. It seems to me that Apple has shifted to a different development schedule for OS X, as opposed to 9.

For one thing: it's damn aggressive.

They're released major upgrades every 6-10 months, and that seems to be the plan for the future.

The new 10.x upgrade seems to equal about to a .8 of earlier OS development. More than .5 but just short of 1.0. Go figure.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: Hobbes ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I don't like the pay increase versus upgrade pricing either...But I also realized that Apple has keep the cost of their software lower than any other operating system for years. I've already paid for my copy of Jaguar, and will be glad to use it.

I except that I will never be satisfied, because Mac systems inspire me to do more. But when I do become satisfied, I won't care...I'll be dead.