New I-macs may be here soon.

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

I don't know about a PCI card slot, but maybe a laptop-style PCMIA slot right below the CD drive. Maybe even a replaceable hard drive, and a space for a second. However, I don't see much as is, unless they split the line with Imac and iMac Pros, which would seem silly. They still need a pro model below $2000, and I don't know if a beefed up iMac is what is needed.

The 24" iMac actually has a removable video card in it. Just nobody to my knowledge makes an upgraded card for the 24" model.
  • Reply 62 of 77
    This is quite interesting:

German site Unimall.de has a banner up that says (via translation):

News on Unimall - This Evening!

And there is a picture of an iMac there..

Link: http://www.unimall.de

Maybe today is the day!
  • Reply 63 of 77
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danz90 View Post

Maybe today is the day!

that'd be cool. it seems i've been waiting forever for a new desktop mac...
  • Reply 64 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danz90 View Post

Maybe today is the day!

It was there an hour ago but the banner has now been pulled - perhaps at Apple's insistence?

The picture of the iMac was also interesting. It was a black and white silhouette, iTunes style, of a 20" aluminium iMac that I have not seen anywhere before. It was pixelated around the curve of the base stand, suggested that the image was originally much smaller or was intended to look that way.

Unimall may have over-stepped the mark or they may have their own news to announce today wholly unconnected with the expected iMac refresh. It was a little Oasis in a desert of Apple product information. Why do Apple play these games? I am getting too old for them.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Unimall may have over-stepped the mark or they may have their own news to announce today wholly unconnected with the expected iMac refresh. It was a little Oasis in a desert of Apple product information. Why do Apple play these games? I am getting too old for them.

the "News" is that they now ship an elgato eye tv with the mac ... that's basically a non-event!
  • Reply 66 of 77
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Another disappointing Tuesday in Mac Desktop History...
  • Reply 67 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Agreed...

Just release the new iMacs, Apple, and make everyone happy.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    Now that the 17" MacBook Pros are finally shipping Apple will announce new iMacs shortly.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yeah f*king just update the iMac and Mac Mini, it's not that hard, just bump the CPU, use that fancy 9400M chipset that was hyped up out the wazoo, add a bit more hard disk space (hard disk prices have dropped significantly on a per-GB basis)... *sigh* I'm getting annoyed here with our beloved fruit company.
  • Reply 70 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yeah f*king just update the iMac and Mac Mini, it's not that hard, just bump the CPU, use that fancy 9400M chipset that was hyped up out the wazoo, add a bit more hard disk space (hard disk prices have dropped significantly on a per-GB basis)... *sigh* I'm getting annoyed here with our beloved fruit company.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

• Reply 71 of 77
    Quote:

It's kinda dumb to assume that dropping the iMac would mean Apple would lose 30% of buyers. They would buy whatever Apple used to fill the place. Apple knows that the mid-range is the biggest demographic to sell desktops to. They choose to fill this slot with the iMac and nothing else.

As I say, the fact that desktop sales are so low indicates that people don't see any value in what Apple's desktops have. Not when PC manufacturers are now selling machines double the speed for 2/3rds the price.

Valid points. Both of them. People won't buy if there is no value. And Apple's desktops are weak because they haven't been updated and don't offer enough choice. Whereas most PC makers actually offer a range of models. Now, they don't have to offer millions of models. But at least one alternative would be good.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    Quote:

I feel your pain.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    Quote:

If it meant having an expandable mini-tower (PM G4 size) I would be all for dropping the iMac. The only thing I worry about is education sales. Schools love iMacs for labs. Yes, schools buy laptops and mobile carts, but not all schools have mobile carts, or not enough to satisfy the needs of the school. This is where computer labs make up the difference. Maybe make the 20" iMac the new eMac and keep it educational only? Then drop the 24" model altogether. Then upgrade the MacMini to current standards and you have a nice lineup of cheap, middle and expensive (MacMini, xMac, and MacPro) computers. I think it would also increase sales of their displays if priced right, especially now if they include an iSight cam and speakers.

What you say makes sense. But I wouldn't drop the iMac. A mid-tower doesn't stop the need the iMac fills. Likewise. A Nehalem i7 tower would fit my needs perfectly. A sale is a sale is a sale. They'd get more if they offered a little more choice...and...er updated their desktops twice a year. The once a year thing is stupid.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 74 of 77
    I was looking into getting a new iMac when the update comes (or whatever would be availible by September 09.)

but after reading this forum and getting a better idea of what is going on with the company, and what appears to be their common business practices (not upgrading a product unless they can still get their 30%)

then i gotta say, i think i might just hold on to my money, as much as i want an all in one desktop computer, and how i need a new Mac if im going to be using the OS, then i need something from Apple, if you cant come close to keeping up with power, then quite charging so much more money for the product, its that simple.

i'd pay for a 24in iMac, but if its not even as powerful as a $1400 PC based laptop? then there is a problem.
  • Reply 75 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariners2010 View Post

Yeah i feel ya.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I feel your pain.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Thanks man... At this rate we need to start a support group soon. "Hi, I'm a Mac... Or I used to be... now... I just don't know what I am anymore... I had a friend, he was an iMac, and, after a while, everyone just forgot about him. I don't even know where he is nowadays... I look at the PCs, and even though they're so ugly, I know, some of them are stronger and faster than I used to be..."
  • Reply 76 of 77
    I get what you're saying, but it is not a "common" Apple business practice to just sit on margins. Steve's way is to, sure, collect the margins but really deliver something that "makes a ding in the universe". My iPhone 3G, whatever I paid for it, whatever Apple's margins are or the telcos, irrelevant to me after several months. It works, it's useful, I'm not worried about specs and what not, etc. etc.

The MacBook Aluminium, fantastic, but the way everyone is hammered economically that price "premium" feels a little sharper in 2009.

I hope Steve is well enough that he will sort out this desktop Mac thing, it won't be perfect and meet everyone's needs, and software is great, but they need to bring some real value back into the desktop Mac line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

I was looking into getting a new iMac when the update comes (or whatever would be availible by September 09.)

but after reading this forum and getting a better idea of what is going on with the company, and what appears to be their common business practices (not upgrading a product unless they can still get their 30%)

then i gotta say, i think i might just hold on to my money, as much as i want an all in one desktop computer, and how i need a new Mac if im going to be using the OS, then i need something from Apple, if you cant come close to keeping up with power, then quite charging so much more money for the product, its that simple.

i'd pay for a 24in iMac, but if its not even as powerful as a $1400 PC based laptop? then there is a problem.

• Reply 77 of 77
    well, i also had an iphone (i liked it but it was horrible as a phone, perfect as a device, it was also 3g, but dropped calls and lost signal like crazy, in places like downtown seattle)

anyway, its different because its priced UNDER phones that have much less features, have less powerful components, and are generally worse devices. the iPhone, if anything, is a DEAL in the market that it resides, nothing else out there is as easy and fun to use.

the mac on the other hand is showing its age, and needs to adapt.

i agree with the last line... however i just dont know how comfortable i am with apples ability to do it, maybe im just growing more and more cynical, but apple seems to care a little too much about the image of the product, where every new version always has to look nicer and more advanced than the previous model.

it seems the iMac is backed into a corner. the tech they counted on to keep the powerful insides nice and small, yet as capable as its competition for a premium, just isnt there anymore. the new model wont be thinner and it wont be sleeker if they want to make it a powerful enough machine to keep up... or they need to drop the price by a large amount, one of the 2.

i wouldnt mind them making a new version with some more vents and a larger size, so long as it can stay cool enough inside with power of something that warrants a $2000+ price tag.

Edit: also, i really think they should rethink their profit margin, i can understand charging $2200 for one, IF it is as powerful as a $1200 PC (it does come with a nice large screen, unlike a PC) but with that extra $1000 they need to do some things. and taking $500+ for profit shouldnt be the highest thing on the list. they would still be making bank on it if they were doing 15-20% profit margins, and that extra money could be used for more advanced components.