Battery, RAM, and HD access on new 17-inch Macbook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

This applies to every laptop manufacturer, so there is no need for Apple cheerleading. There is no standard size for a laptop battery like there is for AA batteries. Just about every laptop from every manufacturer uses a different shaped battery.

From Apple's marketing it sounds like other laptops have their size dictated by the size of the cells used in their batteries. In other words, other manufacturer's use generic cells to build their own battery that can only be so thin?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Quote:

Apple should have made the DVD drive hot swappable to people can slide out the DVD drive and slide in a second battery. That way, everything is kept inside the laptop instead of dangling off it. Having a removable DVD drive also makes perfect sense, since so many Mac users are proclaiming the death of DVDs. Any Mac user who claims that they don't need a DVD drive should fully support the idea of a hot swappable drive bay and secondary internal batteries.

That's a tidy approach and one that worked great on the black PowerBooks, but Apple is no longer interested in catering to people who think differently. In the quest for maximum profit Apple mandate a single solution that works for 80% of the people. Those who truly "think different" have been told to take a hike.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:

... But of course, Apple wants everybody to buy an iMac. Apple wants their iMac to be the most popular Mac. So don't get upset when people's comments about Mac serviceability are based on the iMac. And the iMac has the worst serviceability of any computer currently on the market.

I hear what you're saying, but I disagree with this (highlighted) part.

I find that people say "<blank> has the worst serviceability of any computer ..." a lot and some times it's the iMac, sometimes it's the mini and sometimes it's the laptops. I haven't had to open one of the current generation iMacs except to put in memory which was easy-peasy and a one screw affair, but based on the fact that you need a special tool to open them properly I would say they are definitely not "user serviceable."

The previous white iMacs on the other hand, were (IMO) dead easy to open and service, so no problem there. The Mac Mini's *looked* nightmarish to open, but once I opened one for the first time, I realised that they were also dead easy really also. The Mac Pro is actually fun to open and fool around inside. Makes me smile every time just to see how well built and well-thought out everything is.

On further reflection I think it's a bit of an exaggeration when you say that most desktop towers don't have screws and use drive trays and MB trays now, although in any tower, things are definitely always going to be way easier to access.

I do think Apple should get credit for moving towards more user serviceable computers, and given that almost no end users ever actually open them up (esp. laptops), the fact that this one in particular can be opened up with a Philips screwdriver and all the parts fairly easily replaced should be lauded.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

That's a tidy approach and one that worked great on the black PowerBooks, but Apple is no longer interested in catering to people who think differently. In the quest for maximum profit Apple mandate a single solution that works for 80% of the people. Those who truly "think different" have been told to take a hike.

lol, if you want to think of it as being persecuted, feel free. as someone who has a pismo still running at home, it's a nifty feature, but would require alot of extra bulk in the chassis of the new model in order to facilitate it. i would rather have an overall slimmer MBP and simply carry a tiny usb external drive (that gets upwards of 160gb) in my Crumpler.

eventually the dvd drive will go, i wouldn't have mourned it's loss in this iteration of the MBP, but it is still something that i will use.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The previous white iMacs on the other hand, were (IMO) dead easy to open and service, so no problem there.

The original iMac G5 was extremely easy to take apart. You unscrewed 3 screws and the entire back panel came off, providing easy access to all internal components. That all changed with the later iMac G5 that had a built in camera. Every iMac with a built in camera has been a service nightmare for both users and technicians.

Whenever the issue of iMac serviceability is discussed, almost every response I see is "I installed a stick of memory, and it was so easy". As if installing a stick of memory is the only thing that anyone on Earth ever needs to do. And when questioned about the ease of replacing any other parts like hard drives, power supplies, or motherboards, the response is typically "Buy AppleCare". Like that's going to help the people who actually have to take apart and repair these things.

Ease of service benefits everyone. Customers like to dismiss ease of service, saying "It's not my problem". But when their computer needs to go in for repair, they are the ones demanding immediate service while they wait. How can technicians support their customers, or even recommend Apple computers to customers, when Apple won't support their technicians?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

Your comments about taking apart Windows PCs were true 10 years ago. Back then, Mac desktops and towers such as the Beige G3 were much more easy to service than comparable PCs at the time. But now the tables have been turned. Many newer PC towers are even more easy to service than the Mac Pro. Not only do the hard drives and DVD drives come on trays, but even the motherboards on some PCs come on a removable tray.[/B]

They should be easier to service because they need more servicing. However, they are not. And have you ever seen or serviced a PC with a motherboard on a removable tray? They are not just simply, slip out and slip in. They are basically a pain in the ass. And have a set of drill bits handy to align the holes.

Or have you ever opened a Mac Pro. The bays are a beauty to behold and service. If you call adding, replacing or removing a hard drive or DVD servicing.

Quote:

But of course, Apple wants everybody to buy an iMac. Apple wants their iMac to be the most popular Mac. Apple wants everyone to think iMac whenever they think of Apple. So don't get upset when people's comments about Mac serviceability are based on the iMac. And the current iMac has the worst serviceability of any computer currently on the market.

Could you support both your claims? Bet you can't even come close.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

lol, if you want to think of it as being persecuted, feel free. as someone who has a pismo still running at home, it's a nifty feature, but would require alot of extra bulk in the chassis of the new model in order to facilitate it.

That must be the reason why your Pismo is thinner and lighter than the Wallstreet which was 2 generations older. Yet the Pismo still retained the modular drive bays of the Wallstreet.

Yeah, and when people complained about the difficulty of servicing the previous generation MacBook Pro, that was the exact same defense used by the Apple defenders who dismissed ease of service. Yet the unibody MacBook Pro is thinner, stronger, and easier to service than the previous model.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party native iPhone applications. Web apps are really, really SWEET.

Apple will never make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

They should be easier to service because they need more servicing. However, they are not. And have you ever seen or serviced a PC with a motherboard on a removable tray? They are not just simply, slip out and slip in. They are basically a pain in the ass. And have a set of drill bits handy to align the holes.

Or have you ever opened a Mac Pro. The bays are a beauty to behold and service. If you call adding, replacing or removing a hard drive or DVD servicing.

Apparently, you haven't opened a Mac Pro yourself. Sure, the drive trays are easy to remove when they are empty. But removing a tray that has a hard drive installed requires considerable force.

Apple defenders want to have it both ways. They dismiss the idea of an expandable, serviceable Mac minitower because they think everyone should buy an iMac. But when the issue of serviceability comes up, that iMac suddenly changes into a Mac Pro.

But by your claim, the Mac Pro must be easier to service than previous Macs because the Mac Pro is going to break a lot more. The new MacBook Pros are also going to need much more servicing than the previous MacBook Pro. By making their Macs easier to service than before, Apple must be admitting that their newer Macs are less reliable than before.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Yeah, and when people complained about the difficulty of servicing the previous MacBook Pro, that was the exact same defense used by the Apple defenders. Yet the unibody MacBook Pro is thinner, stronger, and easier to service than the previous model.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party native iPhone applications. Web apps are really, really SWEET.

Apple will never make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

nice rant, all of which has exactly what to do with being able to have a removable drive? you do realise that we are talking about a hot-swappable drive ala what was in the pismo, not just a user-replaceable drive, don't you? yes, thinner, stronger, easier to service - if you think that you could have this feature in the thinner unibody design, you are deluding yourself.

nice edit, but the point in bold remains. and quite simply, it's not an important feature any longer.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:

How can technicians support their customers, or even recommend Apple computers to customers, when Apple won't support their technicians?

Your ass is full of canal water!

The only persons who would say that aren't Certified, never became Certified, never tried to become Certified or failed trying to become Certified.

Just because it is easier to take apart doesn't make it more serviceable. Heck, anybody with a scalpel can do open-heart surgery. Getting the right part, making it run properly, and with as little pain, if any, as possible, is another thing.

By the way, if your computer is so important that you need immediate service, do what every well managed organization or individual would do, use your backup. Unfortunately, most would have their Macs back before they could even find 'their' backup.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Apparently, you haven't opened a Mac Pro yourself. Sure, the drive trays are easy to remove when they are empty. But removing a tray that has a hard drive installed requires considerable force.

BULL Did you forget to lift the latch to unlock the hard drive carrier.

Quote:

Apple defenders want to have it both ways. They dismiss the idea of an expandable, serviceable Mac minitower because they think everyone should buy an iMac. But when the issue of serviceability comes up, that iMac suddenly changes to a Mac Pro.

BULL

Quote:

But by your claim, the Mac Pro must be easier to service than previous Macs because the Mac Pro is going to break a lot more. The new MacBook Pros are also going to need much more servicing than the previous MacBook Pro. By making their computers easier to service than before, Apple must be admitting that their newer computers are less reliable than before.

I apologize for insinuating that your ass is full of canal water. True, it is 'grey', but it is not all water.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

On HP PCs that have removable motherboard trays, the replacement motherboard comes with a tray already mounted. The tray then snaps into the case and is secured with 2 screws. So there is no need for your so called drill bits. Having a tray also protects the motherboard from flexing during installation or removal from the computer. And that's just for an HP PC that comes in a cheap case. There are more expensive cases with more serviceability features available for people who assemble their own PCs. Putting the motherboard on a tray also allows for replacement boards to be shipped in smaller packaging. In contrast, the Mac Pro motherboard is much larger, unprotected, and requires a large, heavy box with thick foam padding on all sides. And Apple is supposedly making their packaging more environmentally friendly.

But you refuse to believe that any PC case can be even the slightest bit easier to service than your precious Mac Pro. Or did your Mac Pro change back to an iMac, since nobody needs a Mac minitower? And when something in a PC is obviously easier to service, you cannot even acknowledge it as an advantage. Instead, you just dismiss it by saying "Well, it has to be easier to service because PCs break all the time". First, do you really think that technicians in Apple's repair shops are just sitting there all day with nothing to do? Second, how is your rationalization any better than those people who say "Macs don't have viruses because they have much smaller market share, so people don't write Mac viruses"?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&onion View Post

true, but you have to wonder why they wouldn't include the 'hatch' on the 15" and 13" models. Opening the case at all may void warranty.

rtfm.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    They finally got it right. Removing the most commonly upgraded parts to the system with third party equivalents is a breeze.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:

you cannot even acknowledge it as an advantage. Instead, you just dismiss it by saying "Well, it has to be easier to service because PCs break all the time".

First of all, nobody has said that here. (Abster2core said they SHOULD be easier to service because they need more servicing — but that they aren't. This is not the same thing as what you've said here.)

You fail to understand is that some of us would gladly agree with some of what you say if you weren't so God damned annoying and condescending, constantly going on about what "we" all want, as if a huge chunk of "us" wouldn't LOVE to see Apple offer a minitower. (I, for one, would buy one in a heartbeat.)

Hey! How about we stick to the God damned topic?! (Which is to say the new 17" MacBook Pros.)

Fact #1: You need to undo eight excruciating screws to take out the motherboard of a MacBook Pro.

Fact #2: Every service tech owns an electric screwdriver.

THE ONLY CONCLUSION YOU CAN COME TO FROM THIS IS THAT APPLE HATES SERVICE TECHS.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

This applies to every laptop manufacturer, so there is no need for Apple cheerleading. There is no standard size for a laptop battery like there is for AA batteries. Just about every laptop from every manufacturer uses a different shaped battery.

The external packaging is often different, but most manufacturers use sets of standard round AA-sized and shaped cells within the plastic case you think of as "the battery". This means that a good portion of the internal space is simply dead air.

Apple, on the other hand, is having the cells custom sized and formed to fit the exact sphape of the "battery", even to the extent of having the individual cells pressed into rectangular shapes in order to maximize the amount of the "battery" actually dedicated to batteries.

This is NOT what "every laptop manufacturer" is doing.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

This is such a load of BS. I have a Mac Pro right next to me. Removing tray with harddisk in it is really easy. No considerable force necessary (unless you are perhaps extremely weak person...).

Same goes for RAM. Extending RAM is a very easy process. It's a hell of a difference compared to most of PCs that have RAM slots directly on board.

Things are bit more interesting when it comes to access to CPU and motherboard, but again is just couple of more screws. Can hardly be compared to the mess of cables in regular PC.

Quote:

But by your claim, the Mac Pro must be easier to service than previous Macs because the Mac Pro is going to break a lot more. The new MacBook Pros are also going to need much more servicing than the previous MacBook Pro. By making their Macs easier to service than before, Apple must be admitting that their newer Macs are less reliable than before.

This is just a rather naive extrapolation.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Sounds like somebody didn't eat their Wheaties.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

What is a "bumper". Where? I have a unibody MacBook Pro 15".

I think it is the "padding" (black vibration dampener) around the hard disk.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leathien View Post

This is such a load of BS. I have a Mac Pro right next to me. Removing tray with harddisk in it is really easy. No considerable force necessary (unless you are perhaps extremely weak person...).

That removal of an empty bay is easier than a filled bay is not a design flaw...and no, it doesn't take considerable force to remove a filled tray although, to be honest, I haven't tried all of them.