Turn-by-turn GPS iPhone driving app on display at MWC

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A company versed in downloadable GPS driving apps for smartphones is showing off a turn-by-turn solution running on the iPhone at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

The app, produced by Sygic, most likely amounts to an unsanctioned proof-of-concept that may face resistance from Apple when it's submitted shortly to the App Store.

Nevertheless, the iPhone Blog reports that the software, on display at the TeleAtlas booth at MWC, has turn-by-turn GPS directions with voice prompts, points of interest, support for multiple countries, and locally-stored maps. This comes as Apple has been slow to provide its own GPS turn-by-turn solution or the necessary tools for third party developers wishing to write their own.

Last July, the iPhone maker seeded a beta version of iPhone Software 2.1 with a version of the CoreLocation framework that could recognize the cardinal direction of an iPhone through GPS as well as its velocity -- both necessary ingredients for turn-by-turn directions.

Two weeks before the beta seed, two veteran GPS companies, TeleNav and TomTom, said they were developing more advanced navigation software than what's offered in the iPhone edition of Google Maps. At the time, Apple product chief Greg Woswiak confirmed the hardware inside the device is just as capable as other GPS-aware phones that provide live directions.

But when Apple finally got around to release iPhone Software 2.1 last September, GPS capabilities were nowhere to be found and were presumed to have been pulled alongside experimental push notification support that was also seeded to developers as part of 2.1 pre-releases. Since then, there has been no word from the Cupertino-based company about addressing the iPhone's lack of true turn-by-turn GPS navigational software.

An app like Sygic's might have significant hurdles to overcome before it could ever be available for customers to purchase. It's believed that the iPhone SDK prohibits GPS driving apps in its current form, making it hard to see a way that Sygic's app could be approved.

Nonetheless, Sygic's app provide an interesting proof-of-concept of what turn-by-turn GPS could look like when it successfully arrives on the Apple handset. The app reportedly worked well from what could be gathered amidst a technology conference with limited space, although it took a lengthy 30 seconds to initialize.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Give me a true turn by turn GPS and I'll go get an iPhone today!!

My current GPS is windows based and sucks. Constant crashes, confusing interface, etc. I'd love for an iPhone to be able to handle that.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Yes please! I always have my iPhone with me. My GPS? Usually at the office when I need it at home and vice versa. I'd leave it in the car was it not for the fact that sub zero temps screws batteries. This seems like such a no brainer I can't understand what the delay is all about.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    This is such a no brain feature that I can't help but think that Apple is waiting for the next version of the iPhone to deliver it. Think about it, there probably aren't going to be any major improvements, radiowise, in the next version of the iPhone.

Anyway, regardless of what I think, how much would you guys pay for a downloadable app that has turn-by-turn GPS? I would have no problem dishing $50 bucks or so, however I would resist any attempt at a monthly subscription fee (a 'la VZ Navigator).
  • Reply 4 of 53
    So how would you go about handling calls when inside the GPS framework? I think Apple needs to either partner with TomTom on this or open up the SDK more. How annoying would that be if you were driving along and hit a critical spot in the directions and someone calls and poof - there goes the GPS...
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Not sure what the hold up is. Remember that Apple added direction and speed back to the CoreLocation framework in v2.2.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yes please! I always have my iPhone with me. My GPS? Usually at the office when I need it at home and vice versa. I'd leave it in the car was it not for the fact that sub zero temps screws batteries. This seems like such a no brainer I can't understand what the delay is all about.

They're probably waiting until they have a braillle version of the app, so as not to offend the blind. Lord knows they must be tired of these ridiculous lawsuits from the HANDICAPABLE! community out there.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

They're probably waiting until they have a braillle version of the app, so as not to offend the blind. Lord knows they must be tired of these ridiculous lawsuits from the HANDICAPABLE! community out there.

I have no problem with your opinion but to just make broad statements about lawsuits and their validity is a waste of time. Give me an example of the lawsuit and explain to me why there is or is not a cause of action.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Well Apple is already working on their own version, but this is nice. I feel like iPhone's main purpose is not being a phone anymore, its so many other things. =)

One thing I wonder is who's voice will be used in iPhone's User Interface. Male or Female, I heard that "alex" from Snow Leopard suppose to be even more realistic. Maybe iPhone will have male voice.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I have no problem with your opinion but to just make broad statements about lawsuits and their validity is a waste of time. Give me an example of the lawsuit and explain to me why there is or is not a cause of action.

I'm not interested in arguing with you, and I don't have to explain anything to you.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Hey Apple, I'd buy an iPhone in a heartbeat if this became a reality.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I'm not interested in arguing with you, and I don't have to explain anything to you.

No, you don't. However, I am intrigued as to whether or not you have an explanation for yourself?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A company versed in downloadable GPS driving apps for smartphones is showing off a turn-by-turn solution running on the iPhone at this week's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. ...

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

So how would you go about handling calls when inside the GPS framework? I think Apple needs to either partner with TomTom on this or open up the SDK more. How annoying would that be if you were driving along and hit a critical spot in the directions and someone calls and poof - there goes the GPS...

How is this a problem? If the phone rings while you are driving, you are supposed to pull over anyway. Even if you are too lazy or careless to do that, you can still speak while driving and then turn the program back on when you are finished.

I mean OMG, is it so bad that once in a blue moon you'd have to pause on your journey in order to receive a phone call while driving???
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.

This is why Apple is working on an in-dash navigation and entertainment system(iPod in your car).

It will only be available in new cars at first.

Apple was rumored to have been working with Daimler-Chrysler at one point.

Google is also working on a version of Android for cars.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket.

inbuilt GPS units typically cost between 10 and 20 times that of portable ones, so unless you actually enjoy spending a lot of money unnecessarily, portable units are better value for money.

Portable GPS' have numerous other advantages, such as you can take them on holiday when you might need to hire a car and really need a GPS due to unfamiliar territory.

Since portable units make enormous sense, adding the functionality to the iPhone is an attractive and very sensible idea. The more functionality you can add to an iPhone, the better.

You might be a masochist and personally would prefer to lug a multitude of separate devices and their associated power sources and paraphernalia, but I will take the less is more path thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

inbuilt GPS units typically cost between 10 and 20 times that of portable ones, so unless you actually enjoy spending a lot of money unnecessarily, portable units are better value for money.

Portable GPS' have numerous other advantages, such as you can take them on holiday when you might need to hire a car and really need a GPS due to unfamiliar territory.

Since portable units make enormous sense, adding the functionality to the iPhone is an attractive and very sensible idea. The more functionality you can add to an iPhone, the better.

You might be a masochist and personally would prefer to lug a multitude of separate devices and their associated power sources and paraphernalia, but I will take the less is more path thanks.

I think you are misunderstanding me.

I am saying from a design standpoint, the thing should be built right into the dash of *every* car. It should be a mandated standard in other words. No cost, no bull, and a few hundred less corpses on the road each year. Seems like a win-win to me.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Sure that is all true and stuff, but when has that stopped Apple from doing what Apple wants to do. Apple wants to be in your next new car.

You already own an iPhone, now it is time to pony up for an iCar if you want Apple's insanely great navigation system. Or you can complain while everyone else buys one.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

No doubt but I still vastly prefer my built-in navigation system. They will come down in price. Remember how expensive car radios were (they still are not cheap) but wouldn't a portable radio offer much better value for money. Who would prefer not to have a car radio nowadays?
  • Reply 19 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Ouch - I never thought about the combo GPS / Phone problem. I guess when in GPS mode only bluetooth phone should work (default set up). I really don't know, but I can see that this is where the whole delay rests. As for answering calls whilst in GPS mode - isn't the phone in the iPhone able to multitask? What happens in iPod mode? The iPod stops, but does it quit? Just realized no one has ever called me up while I have used the iPod.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

How is this a problem? If the phone rings while you are driving, you are supposed to pull over anyway. Even if you are too lazy or careless to do that, you can still speak while driving and then turn the program back on when you are finished.

I mean OMG, is it so bad that once in a blue moon you'd have to pause on your journey in order to receive a phone call while driving???

Oh right, I mean, when I'm on the highway in wall to wall traffic going 60 my natural inclination is to pull over when my phone rings and cause a huge wreck - yeah, that's genius. Why would I utilize the free hands-free device that comes with my iPhone??? (smart a$$ comment begets a smart a$$ reply...)

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.