Turn-by-turn GPS iPhone driving app on display at MWC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

No doubt but I still vastly prefer my built-in navigation system. They will come down in price. Remember how expensive car radios were (they still are not cheap) but wouldn't a portable radio offer much better value for money. Who would prefer not to have a car radio nowadays?

I've used a few built in devices (Acura and Mercedes) and they are total pains in the rear - I much, much prefer the interface of the TomTom and the Garmin to those things. Most built in devices try to do way too much and make it nearly impossible to do anything productive without reading the 200 page instruction guide.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    don't other phones with turn-by-turn GPS arleady exist? How do these other phones address these problems?
  • Reply 23 of 53
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.

It all comes down to Apple opening up the SDK, which I am confident they will do when THEY are ready - not when developers are ready.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:

Oh right, I mean, when I'm on the highway in wall to wall traffic going 60 my natural inclination is to pull over when my phone rings and cause a huge wreck - yeah, that's genius. Why would I utilize the free hands-free device that comes with my iPhone??? (smart a$$ comment begets a smart a$$ reply...)

And the problem with firing it back up? As the article said it takes 30 seconds just to initialize - they should allow the phone to just stay at the top like it it when you press the home button in the middle of the call without having to go to the phone app itself.

Well gee, there's no pleasing you I guess.

I'm saying the rule is to pull over, I also said that lots of times that's not done or not possible or whatever. If the phone rings, you have to make a choice as to whether to answer it (you don't have to), or if the trip details are more important to you at that time. If you decide the phone call is more important, then you have to wait 30 seconds to continue your trip. These kinds of decisions occur every day. It's called "life."

If it's any consolation, the next iPhone (or at least the one after that) is likely to have more multitasking abilities. On the other hand, a couple of years ago no one had a GPS in their car with turn by turn directions anyway, so consider yourself lucky perhaps?
  • Reply 25 of 53
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Oh right, I mean, when I'm on the highway in wall to wall traffic going 60 my natural inclination is to pull over when my phone rings and cause a huge wreck - yeah, that's genius. Why would I utilize the free hands-free device that comes with my iPhone??? (smart a$$ comment begets a smart a$$ reply...)

Hell, here's a novel idea.

Use the iPhone as a phone, and if you NEED a GPS ? buy one of those to. Heck you'll be helping the economy and likely getting a much better unit for GPS, as that is what THEY do.

So let's see.

- We wanted a portable phone ? we got it!

- We wanted it to play music ? we got it!

- We wanted it to down load music (files) ? we got it!

- We wanted it to surf the web ? (not fast enough yet, but we still got it) we got it

- We wanted Push-pull ?

- We wanted a GPS ?

- We wanted to play games with it ?

- We wanted email ?

- We can program our VCR from the damn thing ?

- Hell I forgot about the fact, that many women like it because they can put it on vibrate.

Are we getting so damn lazy we can't do anything for ourselves?

When or where is it going to end? Is it really all that good that we get a "All-in-one" tool.

You know what I'd like? I'd love to have a phone that works ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE. Now that makes sense to me.

Hey, once they have a device that does everything, it is sure to piss-off all of those companies that go out of business ? is that going to be your job that gets cut?

Skip
  • Reply 26 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Ouch - I never thought about the combo GPS / Phone problem. I guess when in GPS mode only bluetooth phone should work (default set up). I really don't know, but I can see that this is where the whole delay rests. As for answering calls whilst in GPS mode - isn't the phone in the iPhone able to multitask? What happens in iPod mode? The iPod stops, but does it quit? Just realized no one has ever called me up while I have used the iPod.

The music fades out over about 2 seconds, pauses, then the phone rings. When you hang up it fades back in the same way.

I don't think it is much of a problem. With voiced turn by turn, the iPod volume could fade and pause, then speak or just lower the volume, then speak over it. If a call comes in the name/pic could display over the GPS and then you can take the call in BT or as a speakerphone or with the headphones. With auditory commands I don't even have to look at the GPS.

My TomTom already integrates with iPods and cellphones while in-dash systems mute the stereo receiver and integrate with cellphones via BT. It seems like the same situation to me, but I can see why Apple wouldn't want the libality until their number crunchers can assure them that it will be profitable, despite litigation costs.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

As for answering calls whilst in GPS mode - isn't the phone in the iPhone able to multitask? What happens in iPod mode? The iPod stops, but does it quit? Just realized no one has ever called me up while I have used the iPod.

Only Apple's own apps (like the iPod part) are allowed to continue running in the background, all other apps quit when switching to another app.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

I've used a few built in devices (Acura and Mercedes) and they are total pains in the rear - I much, much prefer the interface of the TomTom and the Garmin to those things. Most built in devices try to do way too much and make it nearly impossible to do anything productive without reading the 200 page instruction guide.

I have never read the manual for my navigation system.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    I am pretty sure this is all caused by Apple's counsel, as some have alluded to above. While the application review process for getting an app on the store addresses some stability and functionality issues, it does not address safety and the potential for lawsuits. The other items in that same clause of the SDK address actually controlling vehicles and providing emergency services. By opening the functionality up to any developer, one could get the same quality (read: lack of) as other apps.

I suspect the reasons for the SDK language will become clear as some preferred providers (Tom Tom, Garmin, others) are allowed to develop more sophisticated and, allegedly, more safe apps for this function. There will likely be better licensing and profit sharing deals for Apple to provide exclusive access to these providers. The providers will also want to protect their interests (maybe a subscription-based service) since this could eat into their own hardware sales for standalone units.

In any case, they need to get this done. I would say the built in Google version (which I freely admit I use in the car) is more unsafe than any audible or turn-by-turn version.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Just to play devil's advocate, I can think of one really good reason why this is a bad idea.

Turn-by-turn is almost exclusively used by drivers. Turn-by-turn devices have brackets to sit in, in their rightful place on the dashboard of the car. Add to that the fact that most accidents are caused by inattention and you have a problem waiting to happen. Voice prompting alleviates some of this, but there will almost certainly be some portion of dead pedestrians directly attributed to people juggling their iPhone while driving now.

Turn-by-turn GPS for drivers is something that really is better off being a part of the car, not a part of the music player/game machine in your pocket. It's something that should have been standard and built in to those ridiculous screens that most cars have in the dashboard a long time ago. They certainly serve no other real purpose.

Wether the GPS is built into the car is completly irrelavent. When using an in car decent systems still contain the interface for the gps, and the radio, and some can pick up your calls. Which returns it to be exactly the equivalent of an iPhone.

And you may be right that people die from inattention but I feel strongly that there is not a one-to-one relationship and will not be between car crashes and GPS.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    One thing that needs to be done is to have a good holder for the iPhone in the car, that will keep it charged during the journey. Having both display and GPS running will kill the batteries quickly without a constant power supply.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I think you are misunderstanding me.

I am saying from a design standpoint, the thing should be built right into the dash of *every* car. It should be a mandated standard in other words. No cost, no bull, and a few hundred less corpses on the road each year. Seems like a win-win to me.

Whether you have a device built in or a portable one such as a Garmin or TomTom, will make no difference to accident rates. The argument was whether turning an iPhone into a Garmin or TomTom was a good idea. You came up with what I consider an illogical and spurious diversion.

If portable Sat-Navs are inherently dangerous, so too are inbuilt ones as there is no 'significant' ergonomic differentiation in terms of use. If they are dangerous, it will likely come out in accident investigation statistics as it did with mobile phones, leading to their in-hand use being banned in several countries whilst driving. So until such time as there is a determination of the risk, we should focus on the question at hand - turning an iPhone into a useful Sat-Nav.

It really is no question at all, the choice should be up to the user. People with your mindset can opt not to take advantage of Sat-Nav functionality if they so wish, and those who wish to take advantage of the opportunity can and will. Well they could if Apple weren't playing dog in the manger. Back to the Jailbreaking for many I imagine.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Let's imagine that Apple is a company that has a history of, when entering a new field, getting it right.

Let's imagine that turn-by-turn GPS is the "killer app" on the soon-to-be-released new iPhone, the app that is so "must have" that everyone throws out their old iPhone/Blackberry/Garmin/TomTom and buys one. Let's imagine that Apple knew this was coming, and even thought ahead enough to specifically exclude other developers from creating their own app, by specifically forbidding it in the SDK Agreement.

How would Apple do it, and get it right?

Firstly, given the open season on anti-Apple law suits these days, there has got to be no question as to the safety of the device. There can be no fiddling with the device while driving, either for the GPS functions or phone/SMS functions. How about this: The turn-by-turn GPS is sold as an option that includes a bracket that the iphone plugs into (horizontally), the bracket attaching to the windshield Ã* la Garmin or TomTom. The other component of the TBT GPS is the app downloadable from the App Store, but the app ONLY works when the iPhone is clipped into the bracket. The bracket has a charging cable from the cigarette lighter, and it has a radio frequency broadcaster to broadcast to the car's radio. When clipped into the bracket, the iPhone is now in TBT GPS mode - the TBT GPS app automatically launches. You can interact with it by touch (for example to set a destination) ONLY while the device is stationary. But you CAN voice-control it at any time. When in TBT GPS mode, no other app can run, with one exception. If a phone call comes in, the iPhone announces that a call is coming in. If you say "answer" the call is connected, with the call coming over the iPhone AND the car's stereo, if you choose to tune the stereo in. The TBT GPS app is written to function perfectly well while the phone function is being used, so you don't lose your GPS functionality. To end a call you just say "iPhone hang up" and the call is disconnected. Totally hands-free! If an SMS comes in while in TBT GPS mode, the iPhone will announce it has arrived, and who it is from, but it won't allow you to read it or type an SMS while the car is moving. (It may have a function that will read the SMS to you.) Of course, the radio broadcast feature will also play your iPhone music on the car's stereo, but, once again, you can only control the track selection by voice or when the car is stationary.

If I were Apple's CEO (they asked, I told them I'd think about it) that's how I'd do it.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Sure that is all true and stuff, but when has that stopped Apple from doing what Apple wants to do. Apple wants to be in your next new car.

You already own an iPhone, now it is time to pony up for an iCar if you want Apple's insanely great navigation system. Or you can complain while everyone else buys one.

What Apple wants, they don't necessarily get. I don't think Apple is necessarily working on a separate in-car GPS. They probably wouldn't make as much money from that as they would by adding the functionality to the iPhone frankly. It is likely an iPhone based solution would drive significant further sales due to perceived value-adding.

the GPS capability is already there, all they need is some software. A separate device would be a lot more costly to develop as both a new hardware and software platform would be required.

No, I think Apple are working on their own iPhone based Sat-Nav solution and don't want others getting in the way or sharing the cake.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…seeded a beta version of iPhone Software 2.1 with a version of the CoreLocation framework that could recognize the cardinal direction of an iPhone through GPS as well as its velocity

You mean "as well as its speed". Velocity is a vector - it includes both speed and direction information.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Whether you have a device built in or a portable one such as a Garmin or TomTom, will make no difference to accident rates. The argument was whether turning an iPhone into a Garmin or TomTom was a good idea. You came up with what I consider an illogical and spurious diversion.

If portable Sat-Navs are inherently dangerous, so too are inbuilt ones as there is no 'significant' ergonomic differentiation in terms of use. If they are dangerous, it will likely come out in accident investigation statistics as it did with mobile phones, leading to their in-hand use being banned in several countries whilst driving. So until such time as there is a determination of the risk, we should focus on the question at hand - turning an iPhone into a useful Sat-Nav.

It really is no question at all, the choice should be up to the user. People with your mindset can opt not to take advantage of Sat-Nav functionality if they so wish, and those who wish to take advantage of the opportunity can and will. Well they could if Apple weren't playing dog in the manger. Back to the Jailbreaking for many I imagine.

Wow.

Are you being purposely dense here? Or is this a joke?

I said that it might be a problem juggling a phone on your lap while you are driving. That's hardly a controversial statement. This known problem with phones, that tends to cause inattention, that also is the number one cause of road accidents is somehow "illogical" and "spurious" how???

And you end up with giving me some kind of lecture on "freedom" and assuming all kinds of things about me that you don't even know?

You sir, are making an Assinine statement.

For all those people jumping up and down on me over my comments, check out the very first line of my post. You know, the one where it says I'm "playing devil's advocate." If you're unfamiliar with the term let me explain it to you. It means to take an opposing but logical view in an argument or debate that you may not even believe in but has to be considered as a possible opposing stance.

It's perfectly reasonable to assume that doing *anything* on a phone while driving is somewhat of a risk and there is tons of evidence to prove it. That's why phones provide "hands-free" operation options and why Garmin provides a bracket for their device. Duh!!
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pithy View Post

The other component of the TBT GPS is the app downloadable from the App Store, but the app ONLY works when the iPhone is clipped into the bracket. The bracket has a charging cable from the cigarette lighter, and it has a radio frequency broadcaster to broadcast to the car's radio. When clipped into the bracket, the iPhone is now in TBT GPS mode - the TBT GPS app automatically launches. You can interact with it by touch (for example to set a destination) ONLY while the device is stationary. But you CAN voice-control it at any time. When in TBT GPS mode, no other app can run, with one exception. If a phone call comes in, the iPhone announces that a call is coming in. If you say "answer" the call is connected, with the call coming over the iPhone AND the car's stereo, if you choose to tune the stereo in. The TBT GPS app is written to function perfectly well while the phone function is being used, so you don't lose your GPS functionality. To end a call you just say "iPhone hang up" and the call is disconnected. Totally hands-free! If an SMS comes in while in TBT GPS mode, the iPhone will announce it has arrived, and who it is from, but it won't allow you to read it or type an SMS while the car is moving. (It may have a function that will read the SMS to you.) Of course, the radio broadcast feature will also play your iPhone music on the car's stereo, but, once again, you can only control the track selection by voice or when the car is stationary.

If I were Apple's CEO (they asked, I told them I'd think about it) that's how I'd do it.

I was with you until the whole app only works when its in the dock. thats the dummest thing i have ever heard.

What about when your not in your own car. Your with a buddy taking a road trip in his car.

Oh wait let me just instal my bracket my iphone turn by turn gps doesnt work without it.

Soooo stupid.

I think you were on the right track though and it should be an accesory kit almost but i dont think it should stop being able to fufil its other functions because that just dumb.

I am very glad you are not the CEO at Apple because otherwise id probably be on a fansite for i dunno dell or something if that even exists
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

I was with you until the whole app only works when its in the dock. thats the dummest thing i have ever heard.

What about when your not in your own car. Your with a buddy taking a road trip in his car.

Oh wait let me just instal my bracket my iphone turn by turn gps doesnt work without it.

Soooo stupid.

I think you were on the right track though and it should be an accesory kit almost but i dont think it should stop being able to fufil its other functions because that just dumb.

I am very glad you are not the CEO at Apple because otherwise id probably be on a fansite for i dunno dell or something if that even exists

Actually he is speaking sense, unfortunately. Blame the Americans and you are American then blame yourself. Because the Americans have spent the last 20 years suing everybody and everything they have given up all sense of personal responsibility and now lawyers across the globe are getting in on the act.

Manufacturers are too scared to deploy items like this without stringent controls, like the GPS receivers that cannot be changed while the car is moving (I get these when I rent a car now). So even if a passenger is operating it sorry you still have to pull over.

Be prepared for this kind of possibility.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You mean "as well as its speed". Velocity is a vector - it includes both speed and direction information.

Well, if the iPhone has your location from two moments (hence calculating a direction), it IS determining your velocity, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Hell, here's a novel idea.

Use the iPhone as a phone, and if you NEED a GPS ? buy one of those to...

Are we getting so damn lazy we can't do anything for ourselves?

When or where is it going to end? Is it really all that good that we get a "All-in-one" tool.

Skip

People aren't upset just because they don't have a phone with true GPS - we've obviously lived without for many years. It's the fact that Apple, apparently, has ARTIFICIALLY hamstringed the iPhone so that it cannot fulfill its potential. It has a fully functioning GPS chip in it, but Apple's policy prevents devs from using it completely.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This is why Apple is working on an in-dash navigation and entertainment system(iPod in your car).

It will only be available in new cars at first.

Apple was rumored to have been working with Daimler-Chrysler at one point.

Google is also working on a version of Android for cars.

Rumour has it Microsoft was working on one too...

...but the cars kept crashing!

/boom tish