iPhone dominates Mobile World Congress 2009 without Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I would say its equally impossible to compare a phone being demonstrated at a conference to a phone that is in use by millions of people.

At the conference the phones handlers are only showing you what they want to show you, and are carefully controlling what is seen or known.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

No-one outside of Cupertino knows what the next iPhone will look like. I'm sure it will raise the bar once again. However, it's impossible to compare these new phones against something that hasn't been even announced yet. .

• Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 11thIndian View Post

act will cost you over a thousand dollars in 3 years. And the iPhone IS NOT a basic phone. It isn't for everyone and not everyone needs one. People who don't do their research before they sign to a 3 year contract and drop $199-$299 {and then moan about it costing an arm and a leg, all because they didn't research what they were spending THEIR money on} will get no sympathy from me.

there fixed it
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Check out the SE Idou.

that the one with the 12 megapixel camera?

cant wait to see the NOISE from that sensor in low light

[/sarcasm]
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Wow, that's some fanboyish sh*t!!!

So Apple's video syncing is better because it won't even load a video if it's not the right format? And to get it into the proper format, you have to manually convert it via Quicktime (that's of course assuming it's one of the few formats Quicktime will properly re-encode) or (more likely) some better video conversion softare. That's better than software that will automatically re-encode your video for you and then sync it to your device? Yeah, um, okay. Please step out of the RDF before writing your articles...

How it works is this: Apple designated preferred playback codecs and formats so that everyone involved could produce content that worked optimally on the iPhone. This was actually done in advance, on the iPod.

In contrast, other phone makers tried to please non-engineer people like you, who think it makes sense to support every codec and format that a user might discover on bit torrent. That results in a system full of errors and incompatibilities.

The iPhone is designed to play back real movies produced professionally by studios and home videos (automatically put in the right format by iMovie). But it also works with ripped DVDs output to the optimal format (as Handbreak does), and any other videos that users might have (which can be converted for free with QuickTime within iTunes.

Rather than allowing users to poke themselves in the eye, Apple reports the error on sync rather than after sync and during failed playback. Sony is now copying the same strategy. So no, you are wrong because you don't understand the issues involved.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prince View Post

How it works is this: Apple designated preferred playback codecs and formats so that everyone involved could produce content that worked optimally on the iPhone. This was actually done in advance, on the iPod.

Or Apple was cheap and decided to only support a limited number of codecs. And other device makers have also decided what codecs their device supports as well. No different than Apple.

Quote:

In contrast, other phone makers tried to please non-engineer people like you, who think it makes sense to support every codec and format that a user might discover on bit torrent. That results in a system full of errors and incompatibilities.

I didn't even vaguely say that they should try to support "every codec and format" but the fact that it only supports 2 (one being Apple's own proprietary format) doesn't say much about it and only very specific specs of those 2 as well. Not to mention, if I attempt to an incompatible video to my iPod, I'll get an error from iTunes unless I've told iTunes to stop showing me those errors in which I won't know until I go to play it that my video isn't there. Is there a really that much of a difference between getting the error before sync or before playback. The end result is the same: you're not going to be playing the video on your device.

Quote:

The iPhone is designed to play back real movies produced professionally by studios and home videos (automatically put in the right format by iMovie). But it also works with ripped DVDs output to the optimal format (as Handbreak does), and any other videos that users might have (which can be converted for free with QuickTime within iTunes.

Thanks for the condescending attitude. So if I buy from Apple's iTunes Store or create movies using Apple's iMovie, I'm golden? Thanks...you don't see the problem that the only one who is served by that situation is Apple?

As for Quicktime, its conversion abilities suck. For example, a mux'ed mpeg file converted by QT will get you a silent film. And mpeg files aren't some weird file format like I would consider mkv files. Maybe there's something I can add to QT for it to work right, but out of the box QT will fail on a majority of video formats.

Quote:

Rather than allowing users to poke themselves in the eye, Apple reports the error on sync rather than after sync and during failed playback. Sony is now copying the same strategy. So no, you are wrong because you don't understand the issues involved.

I believe I do understand the issues, despite being a "non-engineer." Sony isn't copying the same strategy. They're improving it by trying to automatically convert the files for the user and then syncing. Thus, no error at all. How is that not better than simply FAILING to sync the files like the Apple method?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    [ed: OK, Let's not let this get out of hand any more]
  • Reply 27 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Prince, as far as I'm concerned, if you have to call people idiots to win your argument, you've already lost. Being right, whether in your mind or in reality, doesn't mean it's acceptable to have such a condescending attitude about it.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Prince, as far as I'm concerned, if you have to call people idiots to win your argument, you've already lost. Being right, whether in your mind or in reality, doesn't mean it's acceptable to have such a condescending attitude about it.

Yes, because caliminius is the very voice of reason by calling everything he disagrees with fanboi shit.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    [ed: OK, Let's not let this get out of hand any more]
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, because caliminius is the very voice of reason by calling everything he disagrees with fanboi shit.

When it comes from Eran Dilger, 10 times out of 10 that is EXACTLY what it is.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Talk about idiocy...please pull you head out of Steve Job's *ss.

I assume Prince is short for Prince McLean, a.k.a. Eran Dilger, a.k.a. Roughly Drafted's frothing Apple zealot and Microsoft hater. Please, go the f*ck back to your own website so AppleInsider can get back to having more balanced articles.

I think this sentence show's who's the frothing voice of reason and that Jeff needs a new "external perspective".

Was that too condescending for you too Jeff? My apologies that I didn't use 4 letter words or directly call you names.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Fine, both sides are wrong and have gotten carried away. Are you happy?

One person getting out of hand isn't a good justification for another person getting out of hand in response.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

Fine, both sides are now wrong and have gotten carried away. Are you happy?

NOW wrong? Fanboi shit was first post, not a response to anything else unless you wanted to ping the article author as condescending.

Quote:

One person getting out of hand isn't a good justification for another person getting out of hand in response.

Being singled out by a mod who isn't even bothering to mod out "fuck off" in a thread he's participating in is, ah...hardly the mechanism to promote healthy, respectful debate.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

NOW wrong? Fanboi shit was first post, not a response to anything else unless you wanted to ping the article author as condescending.

My comment wasn't about the article.

Quote:

Being singled out by a mod who isn't even bothering to mod out "fuck off" in a thread he's participating in is, ah...hardly the mechanism to promote healthy, respectful debate.

I got an alert for one post. I didn't get the alert for the other post, the other post didn't come out until after I made my first post.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

I got an alert for one post. I didn't get the alert for the other post.

Are you seriously suggesting that you didn't bother reading the post directly under mine that you responded to just now?

Nice side stepping of the issue that caliminius was abusive from the get go by the way. I'm sure that if I wrote that your post was nothing but fanboi shit you wouldn't be in the least condescending toward me and perfectly polite in your response...
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

I got an alert for one post. I didn't get the alert for the other post, the other post didn't come out until after I made my first post.

Oohhh...nice retro'ing. Timestamp buddy, timestamp. Claiming a post made at 4AM this morning didn't come out until after your 8AM posting is ah...brilliant. Especially since you've been posting elsewhere this morning...
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:

Oohhh...nice retro'ing. Timestamp buddy, timestamp. Claiming a post made at 4AM this morning didn't come out until after your 8AM posting is ah...brilliant. Especially since you've been posting elsewhere this morning...

I was talking about my post at #28, which was posted at 8am yesterday. cal's "pretty" reply that you seemed to be objecting most to didn't come until after that post.

I was fully aware of the time stamps, I thought I was doing this at your behest.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Are you seriously suggesting that you didn't bother reading the post directly under mine that you responded to just now?

My mistake. I'm a little under the weather.

Quote:

Nice side stepping of the issue that caliminius was abusive from the get go by the way. I'm sure that if I wrote that your post was nothing but fanboi shit you wouldn't be in the least condescending toward me and perfectly polite in your response...

Maybe you haven't noticed over the past few years, but I do try.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

I was talking about my post at #28, which was posted at 8am yesterday. cal's "pretty" reply that you seemed to be objecting most to didn't come until after that post.

Ah, my bad then.

Quote:

I was fully aware of the time stamps, I thought I was doing this at your behest.

My behest would have been to mod the original comment to "fanboi stuff" and comment that criticism is welcome here but should be done somewhat respectfully. Then PM'd Prince (if it is Eran) that he was being a tad too defensive and it doesn't help him.

Then if caliminius posted what he did you could rightfully smack him with a violation. Instead he was emboldened to post it because it could be viewed as a mod supporting him so smacking him now might be considered a little unfair.

Quote:

My mistake. I'm a little under the weather.

Maybe you haven't noticed over the past few years, but I do try.

Yes you do. My response should have been PM'd...but I'm not a mod so I'm allowed a moderate amount of snarkiness.