Apple drops 20-inch Cinema display, 30-inch may follow

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if that's possible yet, if when it becomes possible, I would bet it's a $99 converter. If you're not hung up on the current version, just want the Apple brand screen, reconditioned ones might show up on Apple's site from time to time.

Is it against forum rules to post a link to a site that sells that adapter?

EDIT : I dont own the site in question, nor do i profit from sales there...I just bought something there myself a few weeks ago and It's pretty cheap and good.
  • Reply 22 of 88
    The current 30" is the last of the Apple-branded non-reflective monitors. Given that Apple offered a non-reflective display on the latest 17" Mac Pro (for $50 more), hopefully, the 30" replacement won't be a high-glare panel like the new 24".
  • Reply 23 of 88
    So their thinking is the 24" is for MacBooks and the 30" in for the Mac Pro. I guess I'll be getting the Dell 24" Ultrasharp for 350USD less. With the savings, I can rent a speed boat and a hooker.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

So their thinking is the 24" is for MacBooks and the 30" in for the Mac Pro. I guess I'll be getting the Dell 24" Ultrasharp for 350USD less. With the savings, I can rent a speed boat and a hooker.

You are an 8-core whore, I thought people rented you, not the other way round?
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

42-60in screen is optimal. It would make Spaces obsolete.

I'd prefer 2 23" displays or 3 20" displays to one large one. Multiple displays help your organisation and workflow rather than 1 mega display, for me anyway. I hope they don't discontinue screens lesser than the 24" as the smaller displays can be useful.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    I have a couple of the 23" ones on my Mac Pro.

I don't have a head-turn problem
  • Reply 27 of 88
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 30-inch model is not listed as discontinued, however, as it remains the only Apple-branded display that can be paired with new Mac Pro and Mac mini purchases.

A Mini can't drive a 30" display properly - it only supports 1920x1200 resolution maximum and would probably struggle with that.

This discontinuation sort of adds more weight to the Tuesday 24th update. If so we'd probably expect an announcement of a press event tomorrow.

It would make sense to revamp 20" and 30" displays as LED backlit with mini-displayport and bring out a nice new mini to go along with it, which can be powered by the display cables.

The iMac can be announced too as the green version of the low power Core 2 Quad comes out on the 23rd. It has to be next Tuesday; they can't let the updates slip into March. The Mac Pro will come at the end of March so it's best to separate them a bit. Then it will only be until the beginning of June for WWDC updates - Snow Leopard and a new Nvidia Tegra based iphone (no more powervr).
  • Reply 28 of 88
    Mini won't run a 30 inch (unless the new one comes out and had a new display port to use an adapter on). It has a mini DVI and they are currently not offering a mini DVI to dual DVI adapter.

I have a 30" at home and am hoping for just such a development. (Mini that will run it).
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I've been using 840px as the default desktop width lately.

Why 840px? Why not make it 770px so it fits on 800x600, or 990px so it fills up most of 1024x768? 840px seems like it has the disadvantage of making a wider website in that it doesn't fit on smaller screens, plus the disadvantage of making a thinner website in that there's not much extra room for content.
  • Reply 30 of 88
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

I have a couple of the 23" ones on my Mac Pro.

I don't have a head-turn problem

Are you Linda Blair?
  • Reply 31 of 88
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if that's possible yet, if when it becomes possible, I would bet it's a $99 converter. If you're not hung up on the current version, just want the Apple brand screen, reconditioned ones might show up on Apple's site from time to time.

I'm not hung up on the current version, but I do want my next LCD display to have an LED backlight. The Apple display gets good reviews, but I don't want it back enough to replace my MBP yet.

Hawk244: PM me with details if you could... I googled but everything I've found allows a DVI monitor connected to a DisplayPort enabled machine. I want to connect my DVI notebook to a DisplayPort monitor. Thanks!
  • Reply 32 of 88
    A 30" LED Cinema Display would likely be introduced alongside redesigned Mac Pros. That would only make sense, seeing as how if Apple wants the 30" display to use Mini-DP the Mac Pro would need to get a built-in Mini-DP port. And that would most likely happen in the next refresh.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

42-60in screen is optimal. It would make Spaces obsolete.

I am much less concerned with display size than I am with display resolution. Current 30 inch monitors usually feature a max resolution of 2560×1600 which is better for me than a 60inch display with 1920×1080.

I consider spaces to be an organizational utility. Even if one had a 2160p display, one would not want to keep 100s of windows on the screen. Spaces allows for one to group certain applications and processes together for better organization.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

And I've had a ton of folks email me, and say my web site, is setup for big monitors and that is a real dumb thing, as hardly anyone has a monitor bigger the 13", as most folks have laptops and hardly any one uses a desktop computer anymore?

I did email those folks back and say "What are you talking about"!

Well yeah, here in North America, most people live in places with enough space for a large monitor/TV screen. However, in places like Japan, it's rare to see large screens because:
    • there's not enough space for one

• you can't actually sit far enough away from the screen to require one

In fact, many people living in Tokyo do the majority of their viewing on cell phones or small laptops. Even in big cities like New York and London, space is a luxury which a lot of people just don't have.

Work-related screens are a different situation, of course. I'm talking about personal/casual viewing.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Interesting. If you go to the Apple online store and try to buy a Mac Mini and then look at the screen of available accessories, they don't offer you a monitor (because there isn't one that will work).

This seems like really bad business to me. True that some people will go the cheap monitor route with a Mini, but they should at least offer something.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    I have several 23" Cinema Displays here in the studio. Only one had a problem (pink edges) and Apple fixed it out of warranty.

I also have some big NEC monitors, and for color matching and printing, I prefer the Apple monitors.

BUT - there is no way that I am going to work on a glossy screen all day. I just plain hate it.

Looks as though Apple is out of the market for serious photographers who need good monitors.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    You can't pair the 30" with the Mac Mini, so that argument is bogus.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

I have several 23" Cinema Displays here in the studio. Only one had a problem (pink edges) and Apple fixed it out of warranty.

I also have some big NEC monitors, and for color matching and printing, I prefer the Apple monitors.

BUT - there is no way that I am going to work on a glossy screen all day. I just plain hate it.

Looks as though Apple is out of the market for serious photographers who need good monitors.

I agree, glossy is for kids who like shiny things. It really sucks if you're doing any kind of media work.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Please, oh PLEASE, give us a new LED option for current MacPro owners!
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiboy View Post

I agree, glossy is for kids who like shiny things. It really sucks if you're using it for media work.

Hey, they offer a Matte version of the bigger of the two MacBook Pros. Maybe the same will hold true of the new ACDs.