Photo of next-gen Apple Mac mini in the wild?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 221
    I too have been waiting for the new mini for a long time, and as soon as they reviled the new ACD with the power supply cable and isight built in, I was sure they designed it with mini in mind more so that the laptops. Since mini and mac pro are the only computers that apple offers without an isight.

5 usb ports, with ACD in mind, isight + keyboard + mouse, and you have 2 free usb ports left, which is what they put into the current macbooks (which has isight/keyboard/mouse built in), so it seems reasonable to me to have 5 usb ports.

If this photo shows the power plug, and its compatible with the ACD power cable, then I would say its 90% real. Since its covered, I can only hope that its real.
  • Reply 82 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thinine View Post

Seems fake. Why would Apple leave a miniDVI port on there when they added mini-DisplayPort? And FW800 on the Mini? Why? Plus the design is too similar to the existing mini. After this long you'd think they'd revise it at least a little bit.

I don't believe it. When the MacBook went to nvidia, this meant openGL could be fast enough for games and programs like Motion and Apple removed firewire making it hard for musicians, target disk mode, and cam cord users and can't believe Apple would make the mini a machine that could be used for Pro work while the mobile cannot unless Apple wants to target the mobile pro user ( firewire) and no longer cares if Pro's purchase a lower end machine.

Personally, with the decline of desktop sales and the pro user now making up for less than 1%, Apple should make all their products have the ability to run Pro apps.

Apple always has a snafu when it cones to "low end" vs Pro Apps and would be very pleased to see machines that could 2nd and 3rd duty for editing, video. It would be a step in the right direction and a huge departure from Apples normal business model.

Hope it's true but would be very, very surprised.
  • Reply 83 of 221
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Look for a mini-cube at 4 inches by 4 inches with rounded, polished corners. No CD. No DVD. One cord runs out the back. It splits into power, display and ethernet. USB, Firewire and Headphone are on the back. Internal speakers will sound surprisingly good.
  • Reply 84 of 221
    Why would they use ddr3 memory and only a core 2 duo ? Why not use an i7 or wait till i5?
  • Reply 85 of 221
    Wow that thing is so fake looking I don't understand how someone could think it is real.

Pretty easy to photoshop that together then make it all blurry and poor quality after to cover imperfections.

The port arrangement, and the ports used don't even make sense.

I'm all for a new mini, but this is NOT something to get your hopes up on.
  • Reply 86 of 221
    DDR 2 and 256 -512 vram is better then ddr 3 and 0 vram.
  • Reply 87 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GavinScrimgeour View Post

Apple canny be that daft to launch an ageing system with essentially the same dimensions as the inferior model.

Remember the Mac Mini and it's unchanged exterior has been out since the iMac G4 - I mind seeing them in PCWrld at the time.

That's pure ancient!

Okay - it's as good as read, the interior will mirror the spec of the macbook however......

I reckon - like I've said before, the exterior will be dramatically different. From as stylistic point of view (which Apple are quite up on) they have to change the look of it. Don't tell me they are going to keep the same measurements so it's easier to stack a dozen of them to create the cyberdyne system!

Nah, Nah, it's going to be wee'r and slimmer and...................... Bloody Hell Apple, just bring the flamin machine out!

To me the mini all about bang for the buck. It's not a case of buying it because it's so new and different.

The value proposition is that you pay around $700 Cdn. and get for that money the latest iLife suite, a new OS (if you're smart enough to wait for it to come out) and, oh yes, a computer. Considering it's fairly common for hard drives to go after about 3 years, picking up a system that has a new drive in it, updated software that would run a couple of hundred to purchase separately, and an inevitable boost in performance, that's a good deal.

In light of this, do you really think that I care if the mini I pick up a few months from now is a radical departure from the one I bought two years ago in terms of its appearance? All I care about is that I get my new hard drive, the updated software and a computer that does a decent job.

I know that performance-wise this machine will be quite solid because worst case Apple will go the 9400M route for the GPU and that alone will make a difference. I'm sure the processor will have a little more muscle and 2Gs of RAM will come standard, which is certainly enough for my needs. And when the new OS ships, that alone will bring performance improvements, so I'm sure the machine will be quite capable.

Add all that up and I would imagine Apple will have no trouble selling these things at around the same price point as the current mini. In today's economic climate it's quite the feat to maintain sales and the price but I do think Apple can do that. It's not as if Apple needs to lose sleep over some competitor bringing out a cooler machine than the mini in that Apple is the only company that can offer iLife and OS X. If you want to run Apple software on a desktop and you have to budget for less than $1,000, the mini is the only game in town.

I suspect a major change in form factor is a few years away and will come when solid state drives are much less expensive. For now, give me a familiar-looking product that features the new iLife, 9400M graphics, a streamlined OS, more memory, a little more horsepower, bring it in for well under $1,000 and all is right with the world.
  • Reply 88 of 221
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.dub View Post

Wow that thing is so fake looking I don't understand how someone could think it is real.

Pretty easy to photoshop that together then make it all blurry and poor quality after to cover imperfections.

The port arrangement, and the ports used don't even make sense.

I'm all for a new mini, but this is NOT something to get your hopes up on.

Well according to the photoshop professional on MacRumors, it's an incredibly excellent photoshop if it is one to get everything matching.

I'm inclined to believe it. There's nothing to to suggest it's a photoshop. Shadows are darker in deeper narrower holes (displayport vs. ethernet) and they're not complaining about the dark USB ports are they! The USB logo is moved accordingly, the ports seem logical. It's real. It might be a prototype before the new casing was completed.
  • Reply 89 of 221
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Why couldn't Apple combine the Apple TV with the Mac mini which could also have Time Capsule capability? It'd be a perfect home multimedia server, game machine, backup device, and HDTV add-on for movies and TV shows. Add a tuner and you'd have the perfect home entertainment system. It should be able to have all the functions of a Mac but also the functions of a DVR. If the optical drive could be a DVD/Blu-ray combo, it'd be perfect.

The economy being what it is, it'd be better for Apple to offer fewer products that can do more, have added value. Combining capabilities into one box instead of having a Mac, and Apple TV, and a Time Capsule could be much better for both the consumer and Apple.
  • Reply 90 of 221
    The key for the next generation is not ports but capacity - the Mini could be a very useful device in home entertainment if it has a terabyte or more.
  • Reply 91 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

anyway the real question is that if it would be unreasonable to think that the G6 could be coming out this year...?

There will never be a G6 Mac. The G-series of processors were based on IBM and Motorola's (Freescale) PowerPC architecture, in turn based on the POWER series. These chips were made primarily by IBM, and when IBM stopped focusing on Apple's chip development, Apple permanently dumped IBM for Intel.

Hence, Yes, it is unreasonable to thing that the G6 will be coming out this year, or indeed ever.
  • Reply 92 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fezzasus View Post

The Apple TV is smaller than the Mac Mini and has one, why shouldn't the Mini? If apple went through the effort of putting one in the apple TV they obviously think it's worth doing.

It's not that 5 USB ports would be hard to do, it's just that apple wont do it, there's plenty of room on an iMac or Mac Pro to put more USB ports, but they don't do it.

I have no doubt that Apple could design a built in power supply but it would require a new form factor from what we see now. Also why would you want all that extra heat being dumped inside such a small case? Doesn't the apple tv get pretty toasty just doing simple playback? Take that heat plus add to it a dual core processor that can put a fair amount of heat when pushed hard and you have the potential for some heat related failures. IMHO not going to happen unless apple designs a larger form factor which would be surprising twist from apple.
  • Reply 93 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

But it's not legacy support; it's an Apple-only port that requires an Apple-supplied adapter to be any use with legacy DVI. Same for Mini-DP. So why not just simplify things and have two Mini-DP adapters?

Why would Apple want to continue to have to manufacture Mini-DVI to DVI adapters?

There is a very simple reason that Apple may want to put a real DVI port on a revised Mini. This is that the current DVI to DisplayPort adaptor cannot pass through HDCP. Combined with the fact that there are next to no DisplayPort monitors and TVs on the market this would mean that the machine would be unable to play HD content (downloaded from iTunes etc.) with the vast majority of displays on the market.
  • Reply 94 of 221
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Next Tuesday, new Mini for me. Prices staying the same or dropping I hope.

2.4GHz possibly in the higher end model.

I would have liked an enclosure redesign, not for aesthetics but for opening the thing. Putting an SSD in one of these things will be a pain in the ass. The report of the X25-M slowdown on TGDaily makes me want to hold off anyway.

2GB Ram is great and hopefully Nvidia 9400M.

The Mini-DVI is included for analog video output to support VGA-only displays. I actually use some displays that only have VGA so this is quite important.

5 USB ports will be great as I am actually just one short right now and keeping firewire 800 on top - I suspected they would do this. Apple haven't given up on firewire but it's expendable when space is tight. It also means Mini users will get FW3200.

A quad headless would have been better but knowing Apple, I wasn't expecting this from them.

It's great to finally see some developments after such a long time.

PS if this turns out to be fake, I may congratulate him for the convincing job but I will also be hiring an assassin from the yellow pages.
  • Reply 95 of 221
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This is the kind of underwhelming leak I was afraid of. It just means there is no more effort being put into the mini. Hopefully it's a fake. \
  • Reply 96 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

There will never be a G6 Mac. The G-series of processors were based on IBM and Motorola's (Freescale) PowerPC architecture, in turn based on the POWER series. These chips were made primarily by IBM, and when IBM stopped focusing on Apple's chip development, Apple permanently dumped IBM for Intel.

Hence, Yes, it is unreasonable to thing that the G6 will be coming out this year, or indeed ever.

lol, i always thought it was G for generation... anyway is it likely that there will be a new iMac coming soon that is completely unlike the one that is out now, like the switch between the G3 to the G4 or the G4 to the G5?
  • Reply 97 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I also really doubt that they will put both DisplayPort and DVI on the mini. That would be way too nice of Apple to provide backward compatibility when they could sell lots of DisplayPort adapters.

miniDP has no support for analogue monitors. Everything does point to the new mini having both miniDP and miniDVI... PC BYODKM compatibility, as well as dual monitor support (same architecture as laptops).
  • Reply 98 of 221
    *edited but cannot be deleted for some silly reason*
  • Reply 99 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

But they sell a mini-displayport to DVI adapter: there's no need for mini DVI.

Again, miniDP is digital only. miniDV allows for older PC monitors. Makes perfect sense for PC switchers.
  • Reply 100 of 221
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

This is the kind of underwhelming leak I was afraid of. It just means there is no more effort being put into the mini. Hopefully it's a fake. \

What's so underwhelming about a new generation of CPU, much better graphics (and excellent support for OpenCL), faster firewire and getting an additional USB port?