How can I restrict access to add. internal hard drive by account?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello! Okay, so I am my computer's administrator, and I have a secondary 'guest' account that anyone else can use. So, I know that all my data on my main, OS hard drive is secure from the guest account accessing it, but what about the additional hard drive that I have installed?

I have a good deal of sensitive data and files stored (and aliased) on my second internal drive that I do not care for 'guest' users to stumble upon. How can I restrict access to the secondary storage hard drive from my Guest login account, and/or just plain hide it from it? Surely, there is a need for this that has brought about a solution. Any tips/advice/solutions?

Thanks!!!

=)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleComputer View Post

Hello! Okay, so I am my computer's administrator, and I have a secondary 'guest' account that anyone else can use. So, I know that all my data on my main, OS hard drive is secure from the guest account accessing it, but what about the additional hard drive that I have installed?

I have a good deal of sensitive data and files stored (and aliased) on my second internal drive that I do not care for 'guest' users to stumble upon. How can I restrict access to the secondary storage hard drive from my Guest login account, and/or just plain hide it from it? Surely, there is a need for this that has brought about a solution. Any tips/advice/solutions?

Thanks!!!

=)

What owner/group status do you have for that drive? If your Guest isn't a member of it's group restrict Read/Write/Execute for the mount point to Root and Read/Write to Group which your general account has membership but No RWX for World account.

rwxrw--- (chmod 760). Check into Group IDs and Superuser (SUID) structures.

Whatever the mount point is for that second drive make sure it's chmod permissions have a group unique to root and your account that doesn't include the guest account. By making it unreadable to the world that includes the Guest since they aren't a member of the Group.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What owner/group status do you have for that drive? If your Guest isn't a member of it's group restrict Read/Write/Execute for the mount point to Root and Read/Write to Group which your general account has membership but No RWX for World account.

rwxrw--- (chmod 760). Check into Group IDs and Superuser (SUID) structures.

Whatever the mount point is for that second drive make sure it's chmod permissions have a group unique to root and your account that doesn't include the guest account. By making it unreadable to the world that includes the Guest since they aren't a member of the Group.

Thanks! that was so easy! I just clicked the secondary hard drive in a finder window, Got Info, and made it so Others had No Access. Now, when logged in under the guest account, the hard drive is not even visible in a Finder window! Cool! Thanks!!!

Having set this feature up, doesn't actually do any encrypting of the secondary drive itself, right? It is only in effect under my primary drive's operating system setting, right? In other words, if I were to disconnect my secondary drive, which is visible now only to my administrator account, and slap it into another computer, it would not be hidden, right?

Thanks again!