iPhone app usage declining rapidly after first downloads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Ever think they just made them up.... where is the proof, why is it we willing to believe every thing we read? Maybe the competition has something to do with this?

Has anyone or do you know anyone who have been foreclosed on??

Well if Genius can tell Apple about your songs- why not your Apps too?
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I strongly disagree with the conclusions of this study, and would like to know exactly how the data was collected. Speaking for myself, I have downloaded many free iPhone apps that do end up in the discard pile after a single use. But hey, they're free. What's the harm in downloading a free app just out of curiosity? On the other hand, I have rarely discarded an app that I paid for. I am much more choosy about the apps I spend money on, and I suspect that many iPhone owners would say the same. My aim is to end up with a really nice set of iPhone apps, some of which will win a permanent place on my iPhone screen, others that I expect to load as needed in special circumstances--when traveling, for example. Just because I don't use a particular app every day doesn't mean it isn't a valuable part of my iPhone kit.

The conclusions of this study suggest that iPhone users are easily jaded and may lose interest altogether in downloading iPhone apps over time. Again, I strongly disagree. The more apps I download and experiment with, the more blown away I am by the iPhone's potential. But discriminating users have to sift through a huge quantity of crap to find the good stuff.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So downloaded iPhone apps lose interest after the first month...

So did my digital camera...

So did my camcorder...

So did my cd's...

So did my vcr movie tapes before I got a DVD player...

So did my dvd movies...

So did my guitar...

So did my coin collection...

So did my...

I'm sure I can think of some more, but isn't it nice to know that you have them, when you need it? \

You don't use your digital camera?.. then why did you buy it?.. that's silly. You must have tons of disposable income. I think the point of the article is that advertiser supported software is not the way to go.. if it was so obvious, then why are developers creating advertiser supported apps?..Obviously, it was not that obvious to those developers. It always amazes me when people think that things are obvious. If the fact that apps usage declines so dramatically was obvious, don't you think everyone would know that?. Actually, this sort of research is very useful. Don't be surprised to see many developers start taking advantage of this "obvious" fact by offering more paid apps (ie, less free apps)
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alansky View Post

I strongly disagree with the conclusions of this study, and would like to know exactly how the data was collected. Speaking for myself, I have downloaded many free iPhone apps that do end up in the discard pile after a single use. But hey, they're free. What's the harm in downloading a free app just out of curiosity? On the other hand, I have rarely discarded an app that I paid for. I am much more choosy about the apps I spend money on, and I suspect that many iPhone owners would say the same. My aim is to end up with a really nice set of iPhone apps, some of which will win a permanent place on my iPhone screen, others that I expect to load as needed in special circumstances--when traveling, for example. Just because I don't use a particular app every day doesn't mean it isn't a valuable part of my iPhone kit.

The conclusions of this study suggest that iPhone users are easily jaded and may lose interest altogether in downloading iPhone apps over time. Again, I strongly disagree. The more apps I download and experiment with, the more blown away I am by the iPhone's potential. But discriminating users have to sift through a huge quantity of crap to find the good stuff.

Dude, you are in the 5%. What are you disagreeing with?.. that you are in the 5% or that there is more than 5% of people that feel like you?.. have you read the rest of the post in this forum?.. practically everyone is agreeing that they lose interest. I applaud you.. i too am very choosy about apps i buy(i hardly by any for my mac, i do not have an iphone) but sadly, you are in the minority, very, very tiny minority
  • Reply 25 of 38
    energetic gadgety people have new shining gadget before their eyes if you see the nature of things, then you wouldn't squirrel useless pieces of garbage only for a brand new stock of those is now on the web.

And when you do know, what are you looking for, then you'll download 2-3 applications, you'll launch them repeatedly and you'll suddenly find iTunes App Store being considerably better, than others. Everything (almost? any sad experience?), you took, works at least. That's not the thing to neglect, not every sourceforge can brag that about itself...
  • Reply 26 of 38
    This is exactly why I think all this trumpetting about how successful the App Store is is misleading information. I've downloaded about 20 apps, and I use precisely NONE of them on a regular basis, yet my 20 downloads go towards making the App Store this wildly successfull entity. If we cut out those 95% of apps that only get used once or twice, and look at the numbers then, the figures will be decidely sobering in comparison to the ones that are regularly paraded about in the news.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Exactly! I was going to write a similar post about my 32Gb touch.

It seems a lot of us see the need for a better organized AppStore, with, among other things, an 'intelligent' search engine.

After all, by the end of the year the number of apps will be getting on for 100,000!
  • Reply 28 of 38
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So downloaded iPhone apps lose interest after the first month...

So did my digital camera...

So did my camcorder...

So did my cd's...

So did my vcr movie tapes before I got a DVD player...

So did my dvd movies...

So did my guitar...

So did my coin collection...

So did my...

I'm sure I can think of some more, but isn't it nice to know that you have them, when you need it? \

...my neighbor's wife

...mistress use is down also (drudgereport)

wow this economy sucks.....perhaps we need a "stimulus" plan for underused apps "for the children"

so someone / mothership is monitoring my use of iFart.....what is this country coming to,....or yea its already here.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    At face value this observation seems valid but here's where it misses. Apps are called "apps" because they're mini-applications. I'm going to use "Convertor" when I need to convert something, not every day. Ditto, "Urban Spoon"; I might not need to find a restaurant in months and then use it 3 days straight. The bottom line is just because an app's usage declines rapidly, doesn't mean the app won't come in handy at a later date.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

At face value this observation seems valid but here's where it misses. Apps are called "apps" because they're mini-applications. I'm going to use "Convertor" when I need to convert something, not every day. Ditto, "Urban Spoon"; I might not need to find a restaurant in months and then use it 3 days straight. The bottom line is just because an app's usage declines rapidly, doesn't mean the app won't come in handy at a later date.

#1 thing presently reducing my App useage (or else I'd be just like this post) is the mess the Apps become on my Touch. I know the screens can be customized, but once I filled a couple pages and things atarted to spill over, it would take more time than I've been willing to commit to clean it all up. I don't understand why iTunes interface cannot also be used to arrange Apps on various screens (example o what I need: ability to insert a blank page in middle, not just at end; this would prevent having to move most every App in order to create page of "games" next to older page).

Other thing, and I know it's self-inflicted since I have a Touch and not an iPhone, is that many of the "connected" Apps I would love if always connected just aren't sustainable if I have to find Wi-Fi. This isn't a complaint, of course, just effect of my decision never to go back to at&t.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    I've bought a number of apps but most are sitting in iTunes and no longer on my iPhone.

I've stopped downloading most free & paid stuff and I totally gave up on the reviewed apps and games.

Besides the built in apps the ones I use/play the most are:

YippyIT - Great dice/slot machine game.

Tweetie - My favorite Twitter app.

Mobile News - AP new that include local stuff.

NYTimes - Obvious.

USA TODAY - My wife likes it so we keep it on both machines.

AccuWeather - Good weather program.

Bejeweled 2 - Use to be my favorite game until I found YippyIT.

Everything else is the build in apps.

YippyIT isn't a FPS or arcade game, it's a version Yacht (Yahtzee) and I can play it by myself, or with another person. The interesting slot machine graphics are fun but can be turned off for faster game play. It's a great game to play while on the bus going to work. And I hate to say how many meetings I sat through playing quick games!

I personally like Yacht/Yahtzee games because my family played them a lot while I was growing up. So this is a quick game (13 turns in a game) that I can play over and over.

After finding YippyIT I've just about stopped playing Bejeweled or any other game.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    i have been using smart phones since the treo 650. i've had about 4 other ones since then. everybody when they first get a smartphone wants to put 3rd party apps on it. it's like the first thing you do with it. the one thing i have learned is most of them suck. at what point are you going to use every app. it's the same for the computer. how many useless programs have you downloaded because you thought it was cool or you had a use for it, only to find out you don't care and will never use that program again.

all of these apps are being bought just because there is a centralized location that puts them into your iphone.

if you ask blackberry where to get apps for their phones, they will direct you to there sites, but anybody that searches google for them will find them at berryreview, crackberry, etc...

for the palm you can go to handango. (i know there are others)

the main reason that apple has had such a great success with the app store is because a lot of people bought the iphone and that is their first smartphone. of course they will want to personalize it and make it their own by installing 3rd party apps, it's a new toy that promises a lot. most people are disappointed with the apps they download because they aren't what they think. kinda like steve jobs saying the iphone is bringing you the real internet, but without flash? i went nuts with my first 2 smartphones. if they buy another smartphone (anyone of them, BB, Palm, iphone) after their first iphone they won't buy as many apps because most people don't have the time to use them all. and people will start realizing that. plus the more time passes the more phone manufacturers include those apps or features in the original os.

i now have 2 paid programs on my blackberry. my original iphone was my mp3 player, but with slacker.com i don't carry that around anymore. for me it's all about the service and not the phones 3rd party apps. though they are nice if you have a use for them, and they are stable and have a free trial version. if i can't try it for free first i won't buy it because just like steve jobs promising the real internet, 3g twice as fast (lie), the creators of these apps are selling you similar stories. i've bought enough apps to know that.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    free apps don't count because they are free. i download a ton of free apps. free doesn't make money. there is no business plan for free.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Has anyone or do you know anyone who have been foreclosed on??

I do in fact.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    "Dude, you are in the 5%. What are you disagreeing with?" --wnurse

I disagree with the conclusions of the author of this article, and I disagree with yours as well. Every market has its segments. I don't doubt that there is a segment of the iPhone app market that behaves exactly as the article describes. But that doesn't mean "the rest of us" are a tiny minority. You're entitled to your opinion, of course!
  • Reply 36 of 38
    "It seems a lot of us see the need for a better organized AppStore, with, among other things, an 'intelligent' search engine." --Charko

Very true. The App Store's search function really sucks, actually. But the biggest problem is too much trash, which is threatening to overwhelm the App Store to the point of irrelevance as the volume of apps (and thus trash) continues to grow. The "more than $0.99 is over-priced" mentality that seems to dominate the reviews isn't helping either. Creative developers have little incentive to develop complex, sophisticated iPhone apps if they have to charge a buck for them in order to be taken seriously.

Some people compare the iPhone to other smartphones, but this is clearly a mistake. The iPhone is a mobile platform with enormous potential that can only be realized if the user community understands and embraces the vision. Time will tell.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'm buying cheap iPhone apps now and then, hunting for the "killer app". Most of the time though the apps (and especially games) aren't good enough. However, here are my apps that I use, and that I think are very efficient:

Notebook

Kanji

Units

FourTrack

Rolando

VoiceNotes

Facebook

Trafikanten (bus and tram times for Oslo)

Twitterific

Wikipanion

--- 10 app store apps

Calendar

Clock

Calculator

Camera

Maps

Photos

YouTube

Weather

Mail

Safari

Phone

Text

iPod

--- 13 Apple apps (+ settings)

So all together I'm using 23 apps on my phone. I'd say that's about 18 more than I ever used on my other phones right there. I think this is pretty astounding actually now that I think about it.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

"Dude, you are in the 5%. What are you disagreeing with?" --wnurse

I disagree with the conclusions of the author of this article, and I disagree with yours as well. Every market has its segments. I don't doubt that there is a segment of the iPhone app market that behaves exactly as the article describes. But that doesn't mean "the rest of us" are a tiny minority. You're entitled to your opinion, of course!

Opinion?. The author did a study?.. what did you do?... guess?.

You are comparing your opinion with research and you want us to accept that your opinion carries as much weight as research?. Have you done a survey?.. have you seen evidence to the contrary somewhere else?. Let us know.