iPhone won't sync movies?

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Okay, not only am I having issues with extremely short battery life, but now, my iPhone refuses to sync movies, even though they're checked.

Yes, I've made sure there's plenty of room on the iPhone. Yes, I've deselected and selected various movies and clicked "Apply." Yes, I've even restored the original settings on my iPhone.

No luck, whatsoever. This didn't happen prior to the update. However, one small movie will sync with no problem. All the others won't. That's even stranger.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? Or did I find a new bug? Thanks!

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

Okay, not only am I having issues with extremely short battery life, but now, my iPhone refuses to sync movies, even though they're checked.

Yes, I've made sure there's plenty of room on the iPhone. Yes, I've deselected and selected various movies and clicked "Apply." Yes, I've even restored the original settings on my iPhone.

No luck, whatsoever. This didn't happen prior to the update. However, one small movie will sync with no problem. All the others won't. That's even stranger.

GTSC

You didn't happen to accidently delete the movie file from your HD did you? I did that once while cleaning up some space. It would still show in iTunes.

Also! Click on the movie in iTunes and see if it will play. I'm willing to bet that it wants you to "Sign In" to the iTunes Music Store in order to "Authorize" playback on that device. That happened to me while making ringtones. They would be in iTunes, checked and ready to go but would not sync. I had to authorize the file first by trying to play it on the computer and then it would sync without a problem.

Try that and let me know what you come up with.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    My movies have never synced properly. It seems to arbitrarily choose some to sync and some to ignore (ie it's not just tv shows or movies). I suppose I'll have to call support...
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gravelpup View Post

My movies have never synced properly. It seems to arbitrarily choose some to sync and some to ignore (ie it's not just tv shows or movies). I suppose I'll have to call support...

Yes, it seems very random.

I did discover one workaround, but it takes a long time.

Now, remember... before the recent firmware update, all my imported video files (all MP4s) synced perfectly with my iPhone. I just selected which one I wanted from the Movies list. Now, they won't sync at all... unless I use the "Convert to iPod" function. It then creates a new M4V file that the the iPhone will recognize. However, it already takes several hours for me to convert each AVI file to an MP4 that iTunes will recognize, only to have to go through one more conversion process for the iPhone to sync what it used to sync before with no problem.

I think the update broke something.

GTSC
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:

Update: if you ctrl-click on the video in iTunes and select "Convert Selection for iPod", iTunes will convert the file to a .m4v and make it compatible with the iPhone. Seems like they should notify you when you try to sync an incompatible video, or just gray out the incompatible ones in the list of movies to sync.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:

Update: if you ctrl-click on the video in iTunes and select "Convert Selection for iPod", iTunes will convert the file to a .m4v and make it compatible with the iPhone. Seems like they should notify you when you try to sync an incompatible video, or just gray out the incompatible ones in the list of movies to sync.

Whoops, you beat me to it
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but the strange thing is... all my files were compatible and synced to the iPhone prior to the update. Now almost all of them won't.

Yet, there are a handful of MP4s that still will. So there's no rhyme or reason to it.

GTSC
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

GTSC

Copying Video Files to the iPhone:

By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

Push = Reduced Battery Life

The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Thank you guys for finding the answer. Just for reference: the way to do this in windows is to highlight the video files and go to Advanced>Create iPod or iPhone Version.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jmanak View Post

Thank you guys for finding the answer. Just for reference: the way to do this in windows is to highlight the video files and go to Advanced>Create iPod or iPhone Version.

Just wanted to say thanks to you Jmanak I also use windows and could not get movies downloaded.

Cheers
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Hi, I'm reading all these great responses but I still can't get movies to sync. In iTunes under "Advanced" the "Create iPhone version" is grayed out. I can't seem to get this to change. Any ideas on how to do this?

My other iPhone, an old Edge phone has no issues sync'ing.

Thanks

QUOTE=cleanburn;1299626]Copying Video Files to the iPhone:

By default in v2.0, the capability to drag and drop files directly to the iPhone is disabled. This capability was enabled by default prior to v2.0. In order to copy video to the iPhone, I had to select the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos" under the Summary tab in the iTunes sync settings. The option wasn't there until I upgraded iTunes (currently using v7.7.1.11) and I hadn't bothered to mess with it because I expected things to stay the way I had them set up. I am now able to manually drag and drop movies to the phone and they play fine. If I deselect the check box for "Manually Manage Music and Videos", all of the content I added manually will be automatically removed from the iPhone.

Although I can play video files, they are still not displayed under the Movies section under the Video tab in iTunes sync settings. This includes video files from podcasts and movie trailers downloaded from apple.com.

The email "Push" and "Fetch" options also changed in v2.0. "Push" is enabled by default, which ignores the manually "Fetch" settings and reduces battery life because the phone is accessing the network every time new mail is received at the mail server. "Push" must be disabled first in order to activate the manual "Fetch" settings. This way, email is downloaded only when the operator checks for email manually.

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 11 of 48
    jjsjjs Posts: 2member
    Go to VIEW and change to "list". Ctrl-click in list view on the movie and "Create iPod Version" will no longer be grayed out. It worked for me last night.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wow533 View Post

Hi, I'm reading all these great responses but I still can't get movies to sync. In iTunes under "Advanced" the "Create iPhone version" is grayed out. I can't seem to get this to change. Any ideas on how to do this?

My other iPhone, an old Edge phone has no issues sync'ing.

Thanks

QUOTE=cleanburn;1299626]Copying Video Files to the iPhone:

More information is available in the iPhone User Guide

[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 12 of 48
    jjsjjs Posts: 2member
    Do the "ctrl-click" in "list" view and it will work.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    hey guys i have a EDGE iphone and a 8.1.1.10 itunes.i converted my video file in to a mp4 and added to itunes.But it just won't sync it to my iphone.What should i do?
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Just spoke to Apple, and they have fixed my sync movies issue. its really simple and something we should all do now and then to clear the sync history.

in Finder (on a mac) go to Applications then find iSync. Click on iSync next to the apple at the top menu bar and choose Preferences

Then click Clear Sync History.

You can then go back to itunes and sync your movies.

All sorted!

Tim
  • Reply 15 of 48
    b0utchb0utch Posts: 2member
    Even worst, I buy a movie directly from Itunes on my iphone 3g, it download fine, I start it to watch like 1min or so. later on I plug in my iphone and sync it guess what it delete the movie from my iphone and then it won't sync it back to the iphone ..... what kind of stupid programmers do they hire at apples!? come on this is totaly stupid, some people should get fired that kind of thing is unacceptable, finaly I found out that I had to run the movie on itunes on my computer to autorise it so i can sync it back to my iphone ....

THIS IS TOTALY STUPID, apple don't make me regret buying from you, I was thinking about buying some apple titles, but since they hire total incompetent at apple I changed my mind...... let me know when those idiot get fired.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    b0utchb0utch Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timferris View Post

Just spoke to Apple, and they have fixed my sync movies issue. its really simple and something we should all do now and then to clear the sync history.

in Finder (on a mac) go to Applications then find iSync. Click on iSync next to the apple at the top menu bar and choose Preferences

Then click Clear Sync History.

You can then go back to itunes and sync your movies.

All sorted!

Tim

Not everybody is using a mac.... in fact theres not much people using a mac, so how do we do it on pc!?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b0utch View Post

Not everybody is using a mac.... in fact theres not much people using a mac, so how do we do it on pc!?

I use both a Mac and PC.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    For those using Windows, you can go to the Edit then Preferences in iTunes. Click the Devices tab and at the bottom of the window is the "Reset Sync History". I guess this would work on Mac as well.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariners2010 View Post

Thanks for posting that.

Thnaks for posting "image not found" ...
  • Reply 20 of 48
    babosbabos Posts: 1member
    I found a way to get video's in my Camera Roll on the iPhone 3GS. my phone is NOT jailbreaked ! (but it would be same method if it would be )

First i installed the app on my mac called, Disk Aid

(make sure you have latest version so it works with OS 3.0.1 or later)

this app makes it possible to enter your iPhone trough USB.

(you can browse only Media Folder or Disk Aid Folder)

when it does, go to Media Folder>DCIM , the place all your Camera photo's and video's are stored.

now you only have to drag your photo's or video's to that place. Make sure you have them named the same as the other photo's in that map. example: IMG_0009.JPG for video: IMG_0034.MOV

for a video make sure you have them converted right!

(QuickTime Pro or other 3rd party software)

codecs: H.264, AAC

colorprofile: SD (6-1-6)

That's all, have fun!