AirPort Software Base Station back in Jaguar...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If this is widely known already, feel free to delete this thread (sorry for the clutter), but I just found this:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/morefeatures.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/morefeatures.html</a>;

Scroll down to the bottom where it talks about networking and all.

Very good news!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    and i just order a new basestation...oh well, hardware solution is always better than software solutions...but much more expensive to buy....g
  • Reply 2 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is it too late to cancel your order? That's $299. That's an iPod!

• Reply 3 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    This feature has been in OSX for some time, but not from Apple, but Brickhouse. With it you can share one connection, though I am not sure how well it works. I never used it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Yeah, I read all the various "workarounds" and rigging up you could do (lots of terminal stuff and so forth).

But to have it FINALLY there, as a REAL feature, FROM Apple, as easy/logical to configure and use as it was in OS 9 is what I'm talking about.

NOBODY liked messing around with the various workarounds and stuff. And they shouldn't HAVE to, since Apple themselves had it in a previous OS. They only needed to extract they heads from their iButts and bring it back to OS X.

All the power and stability of OS X married with some of the nicer, more used features of OS 9 (spring loaded folders, software Base Station, etc.) makes for a really wonderful computing experience.

No reason to throw out EVERYTHING from the OS 9 era, you know? Just adapt it, make it better, put a pretty Aqua shell on it, make thousands of Mac users happy, etc.

Isn't rocket science...

• Reply 5 of 14
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    This was mentioned on ThinkSecret a while back.

Does anyone know if the software base station can do bridging?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    "Apple themselves had it in a previous OS" &

"Isn't rocket science"

These two quotes say a lot about how people mistakenly view the transition from OS 9 to OS X. They are common views, but utterly wrong.

There is a perception out there that if something that was part of OS 9 isn't in OS X, then this proves that Apple isn't doing its job well. The issue of the software base station is an excellent example of how wrong this attitude is. The interactions between software and hardware within the computer are sometimes so completely different between OS 9 and OS X that creating a software base station for OS X had very little to do with how they did it in OS 9.

It IS rocket science; meaning that it's genuinely hard to twist the UNIX part of OS X to accomplish what the designers want. [A really good example of this is spring-loaded folders. Many people's response to its presence in 10.2 has been "It's about time!!!" Instead, people should be hailing this incredible manipulation of an entirely new graphical interface as a major achievement.]

Sorry for the rant, but I just felt that this issue was a good example of a common theme that I think that people should keep in mind as we progress into OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    None of that is lost on me. Just glad it's finally all coming together.

• Reply 8 of 14
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    It definitely is... all the personal sharing and firewall options in Jaguar made my jaw drop. Combined with the speed increase, the graphical freshening, the new iApps and the hundreds of other improvements, I have to say that Jaguar is very much at the point where I want to run it on all the Macs I have.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    sockboysockboy Posts: 29member
    I have a question about using a software base station. I am interested in turning my imac into a base station, so that I can roam the house, free of wires with my powerbook. Does the basestation computer have to be on the entire time? I would assume so, can it be asleep?? Can that computer make use of the internet at the same time? Do I have to buy an airport card for BOTH computers?

Any help is appreciated!!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    emacemac Posts: 6member
    Both computers can be used at the same time, the computer that is serving has to be on the entire time also.

As for sleep I don't know if it works or not in Jaguar.

And of course both computers have to have a airport card, how do you expect to serve up internet connections if you can't broadcast with anything.

In OS 9, software basestation took up some CPU but you could still do other things at the same time, it's not like it's solely devoted to serving.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Sorry forgive my ignorance but what is AirPort Software Base Station ? I am guessing it uses your airport card as a base station??? so other computers can get files/net etc???
  • Reply 12 of 14
    emacemac Posts: 6member
    AirPort Software Basestation explains itself:

Airport BaseStation(That trianglular little wireless server) emulated through software.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    What are the advantages and disadvantes of using either AirPort BaseStation or the software version?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    Advantage: Saves you some money

$300 if you would but an Apple basestation

maybe $150 if you'd buy a DLINK or Netgear basestation.

But, $100 less if you wouldn't otherwise buy an Airport card for the Mac you'd use as a basestation

Advantage: Convenient in a pinch

It's nice if you just happen to plug in someplace and want to share the wireless connection.

Disadvantage: Leave the Mac on all day

Since you'll have to keep the basestation Mac running all the time; this brings some marginal electricity cost, plus inconvenience, noise, etc.

Disadvantage: It's not a base station

* The coverage won't be as good as some of the better basestations (but about the same as an Apple basestation).

* Every time you reboot that Mac for a software update, or just mess it up, everyone else loses their internet connection.