Not G5, G6!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Six days left: count the days...

Five days left: ...way beyond...

Over at Ars Technica RiscRocket has provided this chart from the Moto web site:

<a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M983989030230"; target="_blank">PPC Road Map</a>

Looking at thi chart...I'm wondering if we should be talking about the 85xx at all. No mention of SIMD and the one 85xx processor we know of is imbedded.

In the past Moto has used different hundred/thousand position digits to differentiate between embedded and desktop processors. Usually the desktop chip has a higher number.

Where's the higher number?...with the G6 aka 86xx.

This bit of numerology would explain the front page of Apple's site (...way beyond...) and the fact that zero info is given for the G6. Who would be the G6's main customer: Apple. Does Apple like giving ANY details ahead of time: nooooo.

[cool] Don't you love rampent speculation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the G5 supports up to 3 SIMD units. I'll get the graphic in a moment
  • Reply 2 of 2
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Originally posted by MemeTransport:

[quote]

Looking at thi chart...I'm wondering if we should be talking about the 85xx at all. No mention of SIMD and the one 85xx processor we know of is imbedded.<hr></blockquote>

G1 features "separate products for embedded and computing markets". This never shows up in the description of G2-G6. Nevertheless, special embedded versions always existed.

The chart only shows the _new_ features of every generation.

G6 speculation is completely off base.