Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 81 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I'm not going to complain about Cover flow but pictures aren't searchable, and I'm rather curious how it's going to be useful for thousands of history items.

It's meant to be used in conjunction with the search box and/or the list view. It provides visual feedback for sites with cryptic URLs like for example this forum thread.

Quote:

Does anyone have an example how the Tabs on Top is a better UI than the old tabs?

The only thing that comes to my mind is that it takes up less space. But like I said, it opens up a can of problems when you want to drag the window... mjtomlin would like to believe that I'm complaining for the sake of complaining but I've already been screwed twice by the "tab ripping" problem that I spoke of earlier.
  • Reply 82 of 278
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Window menu as usual.

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

Oh, it was hidden on install, thanks
  • Reply 83 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Apple has adopted the tab-in-menu-bar layout of Google's Chrome, but did they adopt the most important aspect of Chrome, the sandboxed processes of each tab?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Not true. Opera passed the Acid 3 test about half a day *after* Safari. I know it's picky, but it happens to be true.

There were also two other issues with Opera passing. One was that it was only in an internal build,not a public one when it claimed to have passed. The second was that there was discovered an error with Hickson's test that pushed Opera back to 99/100. WebKit was the first to get real 100/100 with perfect pixel matching.
  • Reply 84 of 278
    Quote:

Window menu as usual.

I'm happy again, I've found the cure for my ailments. No more complaints from me.

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

Ah...I guess that explains why the "Hide Tab Bar" option is still in the View menu. Still...why is it there is there's no way to opt out of this madness without resorting to the CLI?
  • Reply 85 of 278
    Google should have patented their tab UI concept to let Apple have a taste of their own patent trolling medicine.
  • Reply 86 of 278
    I definitely feels a lot faster. Just tried it on the website of the University I work for and the JS elements load much faster than they did in Safari 3. The site normally loads so slowly that you can watch the Javascript stuff drawing itself. Now everything just pops up.
  • Reply 87 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

It's meant to be used in conjunction with the search box and/or the list view. It provides visual feedback for sites with cryptic URLs like for example this forum thread.

I think it'd be neat if you really could search for UI elements. For example, you don't quite remember what the page was called, but you do know it had a black and blue banner, so you simply search for "black and blue banner" (semantics aside) and Safari checks the predominant colours in the top 10% of the page. Or perhaps, if you want to find the AI forums, you could search for "Gray forum". Since thread layout is pretty similar for all forum software, it shouldn't be too hard.
  • Reply 88 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

Lastly, the native Windows UI is much appreciated. OS X's UI is nice, but it sticks out like a sore thumb on other systems. I hope iTunes follows suit.

I hope the opposite, in fact I feel so strongly against this move, not only did I just write a feedback concerning this tweak, but also reinstalled safari 3 on my windows machine for its far more visually pleasing appearance. (A lot of animations are been abandoned by Safari 4 beta for windows, which is ludicrous also, now it's just a mediocre WebKit browser for windows with a mediocre interface, but without plug-ins. Well done, Apple)

[Windows XP's Luna is so outdated it looks ridiculous to say at least, especially the default bright blue theme; and Aero's window bezel tend to drive me crazy, not to mention the unnecessary transparent title bar (combined with Safari's new tabs position, seriously take the word messed-up to a new level ). BTW Win7 manage to make things worse somehow.]

OS X's marble on the other hand is a very good looking, un-intrusive UI kit, I would prefer more of these or the likings come to the windows world, screw the native UI of windows!!!

If implement of Core Animation behavior is too costly resource wise, then use the native WPF api, I'm pretty sure WPF is powerful enough, and a lot of windows-only apps use their own UIs anyway (some of them are from MS! See the Zune software! And it's a decent attempt.)
  • Reply 89 of 278
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:

I think it'd be neat if you really could search for UI elements. For example, you don't quite remember what the page was called, but you do know it had a black and blue banner, so you simply search for "black and blue banner" (semantics aside) and Safari checks the predominant colours in the top 10% of the page. Or perhaps, if you want to find the AI forums, you could search for "Gray forum". Since thread layout is pretty similar for all forum software, it shouldn't be too hard.

Or how about "extra large boobs on a one eyed midget dressed in cammy's". Darn I know that site was around here somewhere.
  • Reply 90 of 278
    Quote:

Yeah, that would actually be useful. There are definitely algorithms that do just that. Delicious Library 2 can search books and DVDs by predominant colors.
  • Reply 91 of 278
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Safari's been dropping my "saved" passwords ever since I got Parallels 4.

Does anyone else have this problem, and more importantly did installing this beta fix the problem?
  • Reply 92 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abilstein View Post

In case you aren't aware, Foxmarks is available for Safari now.

Outstanding! I played with the beta last year and couldn't get it to work right for me in Safari. I will give that a try.
  • Reply 93 of 278
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I'm glad I gain about 15 pixels of webpage screen real estate on my MacBook. Other than that, I prefer the old way, but the new way doesn't really bother me either.

You'll be even gladder on a 9" netbook running 1024x600.

There's a reason that folks are playing with alternative UI arrangements on the desktop. The constant growth to ever increasing resolution took a huge leap backwards in 2008-2009 with the netbook market.

But okay, it's only JUST a bad idea and folks should summarily dismiss it out of hand...
  • Reply 94 of 278
    I had to uninstall it from my Windows computer at work. Because apparently Apple decided to copy another UI element from Microsoft, the extraordinarily annoying, reoccuring popup window.

Let me clarify my machine does not have flash on it because it conflicts with one of our programs. So, now every time I navigate to a web page that has flash on it Safari pops up a window asking if I want to install the missing plugin. I hit cancel and move on. Of course, it does this on nearly three quarters of the pages that I visit and every single time that I navigate back to my home page. (For comparison Firefox simply places a relatively unobtrusive notification bar at the top of the page, a little annoying, but it doesn't interfere with my reading or require me to do anything with it.)

This was a bit annoying, but bearable. So after informing Apple of this "bug" in their design I continued to use Safari. Until, I went to the Scientific American site. This site has a nice rotating news section in one of its sidebars. One of those screens includes a flash element. So, I navigated to the site and did my usual click on the popup stating AGAIN that no I didn't want to install the missing plugin. Unfortunately, every time the news section cycled through, about every half a minute, to the pane with the flash the popup reappeared right over the text that I was trying to read. So, I notified Apple of this increasingly annoying "bug" in their UI, and naviagated back to my homepage.

This is when the real fun began. Even after navigating away from the SciAm site Safari would automatically move back to the SciAm site and popup asking if I wanted to install Flash. I would click no and it would then automatically navigate back to my homepage.

Needless to say I notified Apple of this and promptly declared this beta of Safari unusable for anybody not wanting to install a plugin that is fairly common on the internet. What amazes me is that this actually managed to get this far. Didn't anyone at Apple actually test this program in a pure state or did they just assume that every person wants to install every plugin automatically? I just found this to be a glaring oversight from a company that in general makes very well crafted UI decisions.

Oh, and I absolutely loved the top pages and cover flow history. Although, it was far from intuitive for me to access my top pages. Another UI oversight in my opinion. Especially for something that could be so useful.
  • Reply 95 of 278
    Perhaps the greatest thing about the top site UI is how it tells you which page has been updated.
  • Reply 96 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

Has the inline address bar progress indicator stopped working for anyone else? I get a little spinny indicator on the right, but the blue progress bar doesn't show at all...

It does not show up for me either but it is still in the features list.

Time to fill out a bug report I guess
  • Reply 97 of 278
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    On XP, how do I force Safari to open all links in a new Tab rather than a new window?
  • Reply 98 of 278
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Google should have patented their tab UI concept to let Apple have a taste of their own patent trolling medicine.

That's hilarious - and moronic.
  • Reply 99 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is an excellent idea. Several years away from being a reality, and I think we would see Google implement something first that uses the power of their servers to more fuzzy search items, but a great idea nonetheless.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Safari's been dropping my "saved" passwords ever since I got Parallels 4.

Does anyone else have this problem, and more importantly did installing this beta fix the problem?

Off the top of my head it sounds like your permissions are messed up, thus you are not being able to save to new passwords or perhaps even access them. Have you tried using Disk Utility to repair them?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

You'll be even gladder on a 9" netbook running 1024x600.

There's a reason that folks are playing with alternative UI arrangements on the desktop. The constant growth to ever increasing resolution took a huge leap backwards in 2008-2009 with the netbook market.

But okay, it's only JUST a bad idea and folks should summarily dismiss it out of hand...

I'm using a netbook with that resolution. Besides my favorite aspects of Opera and Chrome being integrated into Safari, and this being the first major browser release (yes I know it's still a Beta) that gets 100% on Acid3, the additional browser window real estate is quite welcome.

Now, if only they would make the Downloads window that snokey, transparent overlay or an inspector window, and have and option for it to go away when the DL is complete I would be very happy.
  • Reply 100 of 278
    Did anybody try to install it on leopard 10.5.5?

Here it refuses saying that it requires 10.5.4 or higher =)

No big deal, about time to apply the .6 update, but just curious...