Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 161 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Very nice.

How come no beta tester has ever thought to implement a way to sort the bookmarks,

like Firefox does since ages ?

Does Apple, so clever in so many things, suggest that I should sort manually my 1200 + bookmarks (and a dozen more every month) ?

A joke.

I'll keep Firefox 3.

If you have 1200+ bookmarks, you are using the Internet wrong.

Also, sorting of any kind would not help you find anything in such a morass so I'm not sure what the heck you are talking about. Search, which Safari has, coupled with the cover flow view would be much more effective in managing your overpopulated bookmark folder.
  • Reply 162 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Screw the UI changes.

What I'd like to know is whether Apple has taken care of the horrendous memory leaks (Mac version) that gradually degrade Safari's performance with extended use, and that require a relaunch and sometimes a reboot to fix.

I agree with the comments about hoping that Apple has fixed this memory leak problem. Every evening I end up restarting Safari at least twice, and often times I find that I have to reboot the entire machine in order to make web pages load. It works fine for about the first 20 pages or so and then the performance degrades rapidly. I have seen browsers on PCs recently, and was amazed how quickly they load. Up til then I just thought that was the speed on the internet. I now know it is Safari's issue. I would rather Apple spend time on making the existing software function properly, before bogging it down with all sorts of new overhead. I always try to be on the cutting edge of things and I am open minded, but Safari has been a big disappointment to me, and others.
  • Reply 163 of 278
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Filed a bug report with Apple.

S4 doesn't seem to work well with my Hotmail. Can't delete messages. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Reply 164 of 278
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707 View Post

4) Download Foxmarks for Firefox, create account, upload them to the cloud then download Foxmarks for Safari and pull them from the cloud - or at least that's how I get my bookmarks synced between the two. Not sure if you mean the same thing when you're saying favorites...

I set up Foxmarks for IE7 and Firefox and sync'd... very nice. But unfortunately Foxmarks doesn't seem to support Safari on windows yet. Still, this is nice, having my bookmarks sync'd. Don't think I'll bring my home Mac into the max tho.
  • Reply 165 of 278
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

S4 doesn't seem to work well with my Hotmail. Can't delete messages. Has anyone else had this problem?

You bother deleting mail from Hotmail?

I thought everyone just used it as spam-bait when registering for sites.
  • Reply 166 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

No problem here. Seems to work fine.
  • Reply 167 of 278
    Neat and Fast! I Like it. Will the IPhone get any speed up when it comes off Beta? On an HP Laptop it is quite a bit faster then Internet Explorer!
  • Reply 168 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Wow...Apple has really gone out of its way to fuck up all HI guidelines with Safari 4.

In you want to move a Safari window and you like tabs, good luck clicking part of the titlebar that isn't a "rip a tab out" grab-handle widget or a close widget.

Not sure what your problem is. If you want to move the whole window, just grabbing the top of the browser moves the entire thing, tabs and all. If you want a tab moved out of the browser, into it's own window, just grab the corner of that tab.
  • Reply 169 of 278
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I always really enjoy using new software, especially from Apple, but I just can't see myself using a browser that has no extensibility built into it, like the ability to selectively block content or use things like mouse gestures.

I always keep going back to Firefox... alas...
  • Reply 170 of 278
    Mail started crashing Immediately after installing Safari 4. Mail would start up, but as it was syncing with the exchange server, it would crash. The error blamed it on Growl, but uninstalling Growl did nothing. I had to uninstall Safari 4.

Guess I'll have to wait for an update.
  • Reply 171 of 278
    I love the fact that I'm beginning to see Windows users having to endure the lack of features on their platform like we Mac users have had to deal with for many years and still do on a lot of Windows biased software.

Macs, being cocoa based, have no problem moving windows no matter how many tabs are crammed into the title bar. We just click and drag the status bar at the bottom of the browser window to move it around the desktop. Other features like closing tabs without making them active and customizing the toolbars elements are just icing on the cake.

But the absolute greatest fact about safari 4 on a Mac, is if you don't like most new feature implementations, such as tabs in the title as oposed to their normal position, you can change its default in the plist. Now that's something you never get in a Windows system. It might be in there somewhere but hidden so deep in the ether that no ordinary human would ever find it, let alone change it.
  • Reply 172 of 278
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

You bother deleting mail from Hotmail?

I thought everyone just used it as spam-bait when registering for sites.

Yes I'm embarrassed to admit but I do use Hotmail.

I also have a yahoo mail account too!
  • Reply 173 of 278
    I just installed Safari 4, and at first glance it's interesting. The common hotkeys appear to work just fine. But my Google Apps links on the Dock don't work anymore -- they just bring up blank Safari pages. Not sure if it's a incompatibility with Google Gears (for offline-ing Google Apps) or maybe something else. I don't understand Cover Flow or loading 9 website in a grid, which seems to be the sizzle on first glance. But I wouldn't say it's horrible.
  • Reply 174 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

I installed it and couldn't open it. It would bounce in the dock and i would get a error message saying it quit unexpectedly. I understand, it is a Beta but i tired it twice and nothing good would happen. I uninstalled and am using the latest Safari build.

I had the exact same problem.

It's because you've got plugins installed.

Just deleted them. They should be in /Library/InputManagers and /Library/Application_Support
  • Reply 175 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plum1030 View Post

I've already backdated to 3. Can't stand the tabs on top plus you can't close inactive tabs without first switching to it. I may have to move to firefox as much as i hate it.

Glad to hear it.

But when was the last time you opened a real filing cabinet? Did you not notice that all the tabs on the file folders are along the top?

By the way, mouse over the tab and click the X. Don't need to open the tab to close inactive ones and you can close all at once simply by right clicking.
  • Reply 176 of 278
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

But the absolute greatest fact about safari 4 on a Mac, is if you don't like most new feature implementations, such as tabs in the title as oposed to their normal position, you can change its default in the plist. Now that's something you never get in a Windows system. It might be in there somewhere but hidden so deep in the ether that no ordinary human would ever find it, let alone change it.

No ordinary human knows what the fuck a plist file is.
  • Reply 177 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

No ordinary human knows what the fuck a plist file is.

Be that as it may, Ms. Sunshine, plists are a good deal simpler to deal with than the Hindenburg-esque disaster known commonly as the Windows Registry. No "ordinary human" knows what the fuck their PC's registry is, either, but Windows users often have to edit it if they want to tinker with hidden settings nobody's gotten around to writing a GUI utility for yet. Faced with the choice of dealing with either that or some clearly formatted text files, I'd take the latter. Most users will never need to know what a plist or a registry is, and that's just fine.
  • Reply 178 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Very nice.

How come no beta tester has ever thought to implement a way to sort the bookmarks,

like Firefox does since ages ?

Does Apple, so clever in so many things, suggest that I should sort manually my 1200 + bookmarks (and a dozen more every month) ?

A joke.

I'll keep Firefox 3.

Why and just how would you want them sorted?

And just what would you do with them that can't be done better using the Search Safari Bookmarks feature?
  • Reply 179 of 278
    I can't find Cover Flow anywhere. I saw that someone mentioned clicking a Coverflow button, but I can't find it at all.
  • Reply 180 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

I can't find Cover Flow anywhere. I saw that someone mentioned clicking a Coverflow button, but I can't find it at all.

On the left hand side there will be a button for your Splash Page and History/Bookmarks. Click on the History/Bookmarks button.