Multiple Logins for Mail

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to Apple Mail, and I was wondering

whether it's possible to have multiple logins for Mail on a single Mac. Here is my situation:

I have a small company with 5 employees who need to access their

website e-mail using IMAP on a single iMac. We've been using the Horde web client which

is horrendously slow and ugly. I would like for each employee to be

able to use Mail to login to their e-mail account and then logout once

done. This way employees won't be able to read each other's e-mails. I

don't want to have different OS X root level login ID's because then my

employees won't have access to all the files on the main admin ID.

Unless there's a way around that as well. Any info would be much

appreciated!

Thanks,

Alexander

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    No, everyone needs their own root ID. Put the shared files in the Public directory of the Admin account
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hanguolaohu View Post

... and I was wondering

whether it's possible to have multiple logins for Mail on a single Mac. Here is my situation:

I have a small company with 5 employees who need to access their

website e-mail using IMAP on a single iMac. ...

You don't plan to have all of your employees using a single MacOS X account, do you? You should create an account for each of your employees. Each employee should log into his/her account to access his/her messages. Then you don't have to worry about someone peeping their colleagues' messages or other files.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Entourage lets you do this with profiles. I think it's something Mail needs to implement. The idea is that the system user accounts shouldn't be shared which is understandable but even in cases like separating personal and work email, having separate profiles that always require a password before the application lets you access it would be very useful.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Before I tried creating multiple user accounts but each new account appeared like a fresh computer which wasn't acceptable as I had files that I needed all my employees to be able to access. Now I'm told I can put files in "/Users/Shared". Not sure if this is different than the Public folder. I've also been told that I might run into Permissions problems doing this. Thank you for the info guys!