Apple to further polish Leopard with 10.5.7 update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week is believed to have tapped its vast developer community to begin testing Mac OS X 10.5.7, a sizable maintenance and security update to the company's Leopard operating system with a particular focus on syncing improvements.

Those people familiar with the matter say the update, like those that came before it, will bundle a plethora of bug fixes spanning a wide range of system components and services. In its current pre-release form, the software reportedly boasts nearly six dozen code corrections and weighs a hefty 440 megabytes in barebones form.

In particular, Apple is said to be focusing on syncing issues that have plagued many of Leopard's standard, forward-facing apps, such as as Mail, AddressBook, and system preferences. A problem with Safari not accepting certain types of cookies will also reportedly be addressed.

Among the nearly two dozen other components receiving attention in beta of Mac OS X 10.5.7 are graphics drivers, Time Machine, printing services, screen sharing services, MobileMe syncing, AirPort services, text services, and iCal, those familiar with the software claim.

Mac OS X 10.5.7 will represent the seventh incremental update to Leopard since the software hit the market in late October of 2007. It's expected to be released sometime in the coming months.

The last update of Leopard was Mac OS X 10.5.6, which arrived on December 15th.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    They better fix mail. Upgrading Mail's database from previous versions is completely f'ed since 10.5.6. 10.5.6 in generally has been a pretty crappy, buggy release. Hopefully 10.5.7 is better.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bauch View Post

They better fix mail. Upgrading Mail's database from previous versions is completely f'ed since 10.5.6. 10.5.6 in generally has been a pretty crappy, buggy release. Hopefully 10.5.7 is better.

Mail works fine for me.

Did you install any Mail hacks that could be causing your problems?
  • Reply 3 of 76
    What about that USB "bug" that seems quasi-intentional? It should not have taken this long to fix that, and it is a serious problem. They should not have waited this long to fix it, Microsoft would have released some randomly numbered KB update by now if they cared.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrsteveman1 View Post

What about that USB "bug" that seems quasi-intentional?

I wish when people post comments in threads like this about "this bug" and "that bug", that they actually told us specifically what bug they are talking about.

So, what is this USB bug of which you speak?
  • Reply 5 of 76
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Mail works fine for me.

The only problem I have with Mail is that it never plays the "new message" sound.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The only problem I have with Mail is that it never plays the "new message" sound.

10.5.6 breaks upgrading from pervious versions of Mail. I work in a Mac shop and get calls daily from users upgrading and their Mail suddenly stops working. You have to erase the database files in which case it will successfully update the Mail from Tiger > Leopard.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That is annoying as it seems so simple to get a sound to play.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Anything else common to those users? We've got many machines that went from 10.4 to 10.5 and no such issues.

Quote:

10.5.6 breaks upgrading from pervious versions of Mail. I work in a Mac shop and get calls daily from users upgrading and their Mail suddenly stops working. You have to erase the database files in which case it will successfully update the Mail from Tiger > Leopard.

• Reply 9 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Anything else common to those users? We've got many machines that went from 10.4 to 10.5 and no such issues.

If 10.5.6 is installed before Mail is opened after a Panther/Tiger upgrade, you'll have the issue. If you installed Leopard previously and opened Mail (and it's database updated), you'll have no issues. This IS a bug in 10.5.6 only.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Quote:

What was the point of quoting the *entire* article, when you are not even replying to anything in the article? Your profile says you've been doing this for years so you can't even claim ignorance here.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

What was the point of quoting the *entire* article, when you are not even replying to anything in the article? Your profile says you've been doing this for years so you can't even claim ignorance here.

Tough crowd. My profile also says I rarely post here. I hit reply, and it automatically quotes. I didn't realize that. Lighten up dude.

The article is about 10.5.7 and fixes... so my post is entirely relevant as well.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    I still use the female "you've got mail" sound from eWorld. Yes, eWorld. They'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hard drive.

Quote:

• Reply 13 of 76
    Of the two dozen issues AI mentions in the article, I'm having specific issues with two. I've posted many time, hopefully Apple is listening.

1. Screen Sharing: SS with dual monitors, switching from one monitor to the next, using the Adaptive Quality does not work well. Once the monitor switches you have an overlay of the previous monitor. The only way to remove it is to click around. Full Quality does not have this issue, but that's only worthwhile if you are on a local network.

2. Time Machine: the random, Time Machine Could not Backup error. Seems like a lot of users have this issue, me included. It happens randomly and I cannot figure out why this happens. It normally doesn't happen while I'm on the computer, but I see when coming back.

I do also have issues with monitors not sleeping randomly, but after I exit FF, I no longer have that problem.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    My major gripe with 10.5.6 is iCal. Generally just a bit ... awful? Often it won't even recognise a Command-H to hide, let alone trying to get it to correctly handle calendar invites sent in via mail, or changing the default "5 minute" alarm to anything else.

Worst. Program. Ever.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

It plays it every time for me. I don't know what to recommend for you.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    FIX THE AUTO SLEEP PROBLEM !!!!

How many here have that problem where you have to put the machine to sleep manually?

From all the forums about it, it seems to be quite wide spread.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    10.5 is pretty solid by now. Sure, in late 2007 it was pretty flaky. Over the course of 2008 they got it nailed down pretty well. Now, it is a stable and mature OS, not perfect, but it is solid. The fact they go the extra mile is pretty nice.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Are you using IMAP or POP? Are there any other mail clients or services (ie, gmail) also checking your mail account? If you get new email and no alert sounds, is the new mail marked as read or unread?

The only time the new mail alert doesn't sound for me is is when gmail checks my account before Mail fetches new messages. (Long story short, I use gmail to read my personal email while at work because my mail provider's webmail interface sucks.) Gmail fetches my mail via POP, but leaves it on the server so I can download it to Mail when I get home (via IMAP). But when the mail is retrieved by gmail, the message gets marked as read by my ISP's mail server. Therefore, when Mail downloads the email, Mail doesn't know it's a new message since it's already been "read."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen729w View Post

My major gripe with 10.5.6 is iCal. Generally just a bit ... awful? Often it won't even recognise a Command-H to hide, let alone trying to get it to correctly handle calendar invites sent in via mail, or changing the default "5 minute" alarm to anything else.

Worst. Program. Ever.

iCal doesn't need a bug fix. It needs a complete rewrite. It's by far the weakest program Apple has put out in a long, long time. The original version was mediocre at best. The latest version did a poor job of implementing new features and integration points, and actually made the interface worse.

I seem to remember that Apple now uses iCal internally as of the release of Leopard. Hopefully they now recognize it as a POS. But I don't expect anything to change until Snow Leopard.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

FIX THE AUTO SLEEP PROBLEM !!!!

How many here have that problem where you have to put the machine to sleep manually?

From all the forums about it, it seems to be quite wide spread.

I think it may have to do with what programs you have running at the time. For example, you don't want your computer to go to sleep while Time Machine is backing up. MobileMe sync will also prevent your computer from sleeping. While MM sync should be fast, data corruption or inconsistencies can cause it to run longer. I've seen it run for over 20 minutes before, which will keep your computer awake. I don't use iPhoto anymore, but a few versions back I noticed that if iPhoto was open my computer wouldn't go to sleep (not sure why). Lately, I've noticed that if I have Facebook's Live Feed page open in Safari, my computer gets a bit of insomnia, although it eventually does put itself to sleep, but it takes longer.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    I hope this fixes the video issues with the new MBPro's, specifically the choppy webkit and random flicker.

Wireless reception being fixed would be good too.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    my biggest Mail pain in the ass is getting it to quit. i often have to force quit to get it to quit and it frequently times out my shutdowns/restarts. that has been since probably 10.5 or .5.2