Dark Screen "New" Macbook Pro 17"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The new Macbook pro 17" seems to have a very dark display. I was in two Apple stores in, one in NYC and the other in Whiteplains and both stores had the new machines displayed. The screens were substantially darker than the 15.4" LED version. The preferences did not seem to help because the machines did not provide a selection between power save and high performance. Does anybody know anything about this, or should I just assume mine will be delivered with a dark screen?

The screens were glossy in both stores, NOT anti-glare.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Well that kind of makes sense no?

The 17" Unibody matte screens are the same as the ones in the old 17" Macbook pro.

The 17" unibody glossy screens are the new LED screens with the higher gamet / brighter, etc.

Regards,

Simon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonPickard View Post

The 17" Unibody matte screens are the same as the ones in the old 17" Macbook pro.

The 17" unibody glossy screens are the new LED screens with the higher gamet / brighter, etc.

Both Matte and Glossy have LED screens.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I notice that too but i don't think i am talking about the same thing you are. The Blacks on the 17 MBP are extremely dark and very nice and the screens are really bright.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SimonPickard View Post

Are you sure that they're fitting the previous generation matte screen to the new matte 17"er?

I believe that PS stated that the new matte version had the same matte properties as the previous generation MBP - but that's an entirely different thing from fitting the same old panel again.

If that is indeed the case, then the new matte 17"er won't benefit from the extended colour gamut etc.

Where did you get that info from?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I got it from the release talk by apple where the guy clearly says..

"And we have a matte version, the same great matte screen as before"

Or words to that effect.

Regards,

Simon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    The tech specs from Apple clearly show that the 17" has an LED screen for both glossy and matte. It's not the same old panel in the matte (anti-glare) option.

17-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors; optional antiglare display.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    You do know that the old 17" Matte screen before the unibody was also LED yes? Saying that they are both LED's now doesn't mean anything.

From everything I've seen posted about the matte screen it seems to be the same on as in the last model.

I think only the new glossy screens are the new high range colour versions.

Regards,

Simon
  • Reply 8 of 11
    The transcript from PS's speech:

"And really, the only way we could do this was to remove that glass on the front and then build a metal bezel around it to hold the display so that it has the same display properties for anti-glare as our last 17-inch notebook."

I think that means that it's a new panel, but it has the same anti-glare properties as the previous panel. I'm not sure it means that they simply dropped in the previous generation screen?

• Reply 9 of 11
    Yeah that's what I was referring to. That and the fact I'm seeing lots of... The matte looks dim compared to the glossy posts.

Would be good to get a review that confirmed it one way or the other. I'm HOPING they have put the new high colour version into the matte. Would be a bit rubbish if they haven't.

Regards,

Simon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Ok.... found a review... Looks like the screen IS the new version! Woohoo.. No idea why people are finding the matte darker then?

"The screen mat finish looks exactly like the one on the old 17" MacBook Pros (but it's a new 9CAC model), and even if it doesn't offer the same luminosity as a gen 1 LED MacBook Air LCD, its light is about the one of an 30" Apple Cinema Display."

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009-02-23/#9649

Regards,

Simon
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Damn ? that's a nice looking laptop!