Apple introduces iTunes Pass for following favorite bands

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Mummy, I want a Jonas Brothers Music Pass- NOW!!!!

Ew, please don't joke about that.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    This itunes pass logo looks like a stylized Moscow Metro map.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

This itunes pass logo looks like a stylized Moscow Metro map.

That's not the iTunes pass logo - it's Depeche Mode's artwork.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I've been a Depeche Mode fan for years, but I will not be buying a "pass". I tend to hate remix tracks and prefer to stick to the studio albums and pick up the B-sides.

So, I'll be doing what I did when Playing The Angel came out... picking up the early single and getting the rest of the album when it comes out.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    If this is the kind of crap Apple had to agree to to get the labels to release everything in iTunes Plus, then I guess it's okay - it doesn't do any harm. I'm skeptical about the "exclusives" - probably half-hearted demos and worthless remixes.

If there's an album I want, I'll still buy the better-sounding CD. Now if this Pass was for live shows that weren't available anywhere else, I might be interested in certain artists. But you'd still have to trust the record label to give you anything good.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

Just another sign of how out of touch the iTunes marketing & sales department is with reality.

I think they've been smoking some pretty good sh*t if they think people are going to buy music before they've even heard it or better yet before its guaranteed it will even be released.. what happens if a CD comes out a week after your window closes?

silly itunes

I dunno dude... I've learned never to underestimate the unparalleled fanaticism, disregard for logic and reason that comes with 'fan'-territory. The masses will jump on anything that has their favourite band's logo on it...

http://images.google.com/images?q=jo...=Search+Images

... um, yah.

Jimzip
  • Reply 27 of 40
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Wow! All of that for only $18.99? The whole cd and extra remixed tracks and access to more crap? Wow! For only $18.99? I love this new variable pricing structure already!

NOT!
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

NOT!

1992 called and wants its lame-ass joke back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

There are a dozen or so artists I'd like to know if they had something new coming out.

iTunes has had that for ages. Click the "Alert Me" button next time you're looking at one of your favorite musicians.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Just another sign of how out of touch the iTunes marketing & sales department is with reality.

I think they've been smoking some pretty good sh*t if they think people are going to buy music before they've even heard it or better yet before its guaranteed it will even be released.. what happens if a CD comes out a week after your window closes?

This is too damn complicated. Along with everything else iTunes does.. DRM no DRM.. its the same music. I shouldn't have to pay a damn thing to have it any format I prefer.

What they should have is an ALL MUSIC pass.

I love Apple, but iTunes is a horrible horrible way of selling music. That so many people have managed to wander into it because of buying ipods and iphones is the only reason I can muster for it being so popular but I'll NEVER buy music that I have to tag to 5 computers, or that I can't click a button to automatically redownload (considering that I PAID for it), or well.. the reasons are endless.

silly itunes

Details are here: http://www.depechemode.com/news.html...=&i=39#news_39
  • Reply 30 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

This is too damn complicated. Along with everything else iTunes does.. DRM no DRM.. its the same music. I shouldn't have to pay a damn thing to have it any format I prefer.

What they should have is an ALL MUSIC pass.

I love Apple, but iTunes is a horrible horrible way of selling music. That so many people have managed to wander into it because of buying ipods and iphones is the only reason I can muster for it being so popular but I'll NEVER buy music that I have to tag to 5 computers,

Your rant is out of date. Maybe you didn't get the memo, but iTunes is in the process of phasing out DRM for new music purchases.

You're also forgetting that it's popular because it's easy, convenient, and compared to CDs, you generally don't have to buy the whole thing to get the one or two tracks that you want most, and purchases are automatically entered into the music library without tinkering or funky third party programs.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

1992 called and wants its lame-ass joke back.

You got me. I am sorry. I will slink back into my mom's basement.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    The most frightening thing about this whole pass idea is that it is a way for the music companies to force the purchase of songs that you may not want. Right now, the "Mode" pass includes the above mentioned album. All the songs that are part of that album are greyed out as "pass-only". I will bypass the buy-pass option in lieu of bands and distributors that don't feel that the only way they can sell music is to force an all-or-none approach upon me.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    There are maybe 5 or so bands I'd do this for, just because I buy everything they put out, every time. Even if its lame remixes.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthawaii View Post

How is this not a subscription service like Rhapsody?

You pay a fee & the music disappears at a certain point unless you pay another fee.

-Matt

No. The season pass gives you "exclusive" content for you to download and keep. Nothing disappears. It is an option to get additional content not available with the regular purchase price of a CD. The deadline date is probably to get people to buy the extra content before the offer ends.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Maybe it's just me, but to me it sounds like Apple is saying give us $18.99 now and later you'll get to see what you bought. Oh well, I'm not going to waste much time worrying about a band that hit its peak 20 years ago.

Apple has nothing to do with this. It is the record industry that wants more money.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

The most frightening thing about this whole pass idea is that it is a way for the music companies to force the purchase of songs that you may not want. Right now, the "Mode" pass includes the above mentioned album. All the songs that are part of that album are greyed out as "pass-only". I will bypass the buy-pass option in lieu of bands and distributors that don't feel that the only way they can sell music is to force an all-or-none approach upon me.

You are not quite getting it. The CD is not released yet, that is why they are greyed out. The "Pass" will give you extra content not available with the regular CD purchase price. Once the CD is released in April, you will have the option for the regular CD price without the extra content included with the Pass.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Until June? Sounds pretty shoddy to me,

actually it makes sense. this is a test run. they need a cut off so they can evaluate whether it worked or not.

I'm not a big Depeche Mode fan so I"m passing on this one but I am following it to see what content there is included.

on the idea front, I like the notion of buying a 'pass' to the album with videos and perhaps some exclusive behind the scenes extras and having them released a little at a time, rather than having to wait several months from the release of a single to the full album. I withhold judgement until I see how the whole thing plays out.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Maybe it's just me, but to me it sounds like Apple is saying give us $18.99 now and later you'll get to see what you bought. Oh well, I'm not going to waste much time worrying about a band that hit its peak 20 years ago.

Yeah, you'd jump at the Jonas Brothers pass, right? I think they're hitting their peak right about now.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You are not quite getting it. The CD is not released yet, that is why they are greyed out. The "Pass" will give you extra content not available with the regular CD purchase price. Once the CD is released in April, you will have the option for the regular CD price without the extra content included with the Pass.

But then how is this different to any of the other pre-release options that have been available for sometime on iTunes? Apple gave up something to get DRM free tracks. One thing is the variable pricing structure. I have a hard time believing that ala-carte purchasing of music was not discussed as part of the negotiations.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm not getting some of the hostility in this thread.

They're offering something for sale, which I can decline to buy. Back when we bought CDs in stores, did anybody go storming up to the counter, demanding to know how they had the nerve to sell some box set for $99 with a bunch of "collectors memorabilia" that didn't strike you as worth anything? Did anyone belittle the brick and mortar music store for being so out of touch as to stock what the labels came up with?

I'm assuming no, you just declined to buy it. Because you, you know, didn't want it.

How is this any different?