Apple ramps up MacBook campaign; RIM folds on anti-Apple ad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbg View Post

They should pull the ad and fire the ad agency. What a weak ad by Blackberry. It tells absolutely no reason why to buy the blackberry- there is no advantage or compelling reason given.

No doubt! I am a Blackberry owner and that commercial did nothing to inspire me. It was just bad.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Good Ad - 'cept Apple could "fire" back with an ad about RIM shooting blanks!!

Or, as many Engadget commenters pointed out, they could just use that oh-so-badly-chosen tagline against them. "They were right. Nobody wants to touch it."
  • Reply 23 of 92
    The ad would reek of desperation had Blackberry actually went with that ad.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Smart move by RIM. Which company is in better financial shape? I'd say it's not a good idea to rile a much more powerful competitor. Worst case for RIM, Apple decides it's time to start firing back in their own ads.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Most ads are based on coercion

Coercion? Please elaborate

Quote:

are less than honest

I am not sure if they are less than honest. Honesty here is ambiguous. They may not tell the whole truth, but that is not their purpose. They 'highlight' the advantages. But few ads lie outright.

Quote:

and appeal to the emotions.

That is true. An ad strives to PERSUADE the viewer / listener / reader to buy a product or service. Most people act upon emotions first and foremost. Look at the apple ads - no 'facts' whatsoever. But there are strict guidelines as to what is and isn't allowed in advertising.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    RIM shot!
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

RIM shot!

• Reply 28 of 92
    Quote:

They should pull the ad and fire the ad agency. What a weak ad by Blackberry. It tells absolutely no reason why to buy the blackberry- there is no advantage or compelling reason given.

The ad was fantastic. Of course, it just doesn't meet reality, but a very creative, seamless and succinct ad.

Apple should hire the team talent behind it.

Of course they could show the ad parody showing the Blackberry running into the Apple and splatting all over the face of the Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    I'm happy to hear the Black Angels... even if it was only a couple seconds.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

That ad is fantastic... Better than most of Apple's ads even. And making it a viral video will probably get them better exposure than they would have received from putting it on TV.

Too bad their actual product sucks.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3D-Troll View Post

Little bit more imagination would be nice. There is a commercial out there from some car company where the bullet destroys a bottle and becomes the car. Like the visuals.

Steffen

Acura
  • Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The ad would definitely appeal to gun fetishists.

A swing and a miss...
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Too bad their actual product sucks.

That's the reason they must have pulled it. To imply it rips through the Apple equivalent product just won't pass the smell test.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

The Mac maker's green notebook campaign comes after years of criticism from activists over the company's environmental track record

I might add the real reason for the "greening" of Apple stems from the seeds that have sprouted from Al Gore's influence since he's joined its board.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    Quote:

They should pull the ad and fire the ad agency....

Why deny the ad agency a RIM job?
  • Reply 36 of 92

-

• Reply 37 of 92
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Why deny the ad agency a RIM job?

Hard to say...the execs must've seen something in there they didn't like. If it's going to increase sales, you go with it. If you compare it to Apple's iPhone adds, they at least show you some app functionality you can download and use. All this was was a very nicely done image-merical. I suspect if someone were savvy enough to understand the imagery, they would probably be savvy enough to ask for something with a little more substance for the money.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    That ad was crap, and poorly executed.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Same could be said for the first iPhone commercial as well. And we all know Apple is famously known for their fantastic marketing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nyYloJyq9M

You are not putting it in context - that ad was played during the Oscars. What was the Blackberry ad for? An NRA exhibition?
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The Mac Vs. PC ads have ALL done this.

I think the rule is that you don't refer to a competitor and thus give them credibility if the brand is not already known and if the brand is better than yours. The down side is that you make people aware of the competition when they may not already be aware of them, and also that you are basically making a comparison between two things, so you better be sure your brand is going to come out of that smelling like a rose.

In the case of the Blackberry, at least where I live in Canada, none of these are true. The carrier that has the iPhone does not advertise it at all, they advertise their Blackberry line up only, and the other carriers also advertise the Blackberry line up. If not for Apple's ads, no one would even know the iPhone exists. I would reckon a large percentage of Storm users for instance are buying it unaware that the device is a "response" to the iPhone. I see quite a lot of Storm's being used on my commute, and I can't believe it's only because these folks are "anti-iPhone" to the point they would prefer one of these over the original.

Blackberry's sales of the Storm are unknown at this point, but they might be okay. So they have nothing to gain (at least in my area), from letting people know there is a competing product out there that they compare very poorly to, and that they are trying to "shoot down."