I have a Mac Pro Dual 2.66 Xeon, i want to add a 2nd video card, need recommendation

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I currently have an ATI X1900 512 MB cart, PCI express 16-lane slot. I notice the other slots are 4-lane. What would be a good performing videocard ran on this slot? this card is for a 3rd display, and will be for HD video content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by domerdel2 View Post

I currently have an ATI X1900 512 MB cart, PCI express 16-lane slot. I notice the other slots are 4-lane. What would be a good performing videocard ran on this slot? this card is for a 3rd display, and will be for HD video content.

First of all, any card will work in the other slots. They only have a quarter the bandwidth of an electrical x16 slot, but they're physical x16 slots, so any PCIe card will fit in them.*

As for options, all of the cards Apple sells for the Mac Pro are embarrassingly obsolete and overpriced. But the 2600 XT would still be good for your needs, and wouldn't require an extra power connector.

*Assuming that the compatibility problem with the 8800GT and older Mac Pros has been resolved, I don't know about that
  • Reply 2 of 4
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Depends on what you're tossing on that 3rd display, dont spend more than you need to, y'know?

BTW, on a selfish note, I have an unused (and never used!) GF7300 (256 ram) from that gen mac pro that I bought before I sold my old one and got this one. Been debating about what to do with it. If you're in the the NY area and want to buy it let me know!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

Depends on what you're tossing on that 3rd display, dont spend more than you need to, y'know?

BTW, on a selfish note, I have an unused (and never used!) GF7300 (256 ram) from that gen mac pro that I bought before I sold my old one and got this one. Been debating about what to do with it. If you're in the the NY area and want to buy it let me know!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

First of all, any card will work in the other slots. They only have a quarter the bandwidth of an electrical x16 slot, but they're physical x16 slots, so any PCIe card will fit in them.*

As for options, all of the cards Apple sells for the Mac Pro are embarrassingly obsolete and overpriced. But the 2600 XT would still be good for your needs, and wouldn't require an extra power connector.

*Assuming that the compatibility problem with the 8800GT and older Mac Pros has been resolved, I don't know about that

I will be using the 3rd display as plex to watch my 1080p mid-high bitrate HD files (mostly MKVs). So now regarding the 1/4th bandwidth issue i'm wondering if i should allocate my 512 ati card to my 3rd display. My mac pro is used for print and web design, so i'm not sure if I need all the necessary GPU power.

What's your take on it? Does my dedicated HD media playback need the pcie 16x slot or am i okay with the 4x slots for PLEX?

seek3r: i'm in California.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

I will be using the 3rd display as plex to watch my 1080p mid-high bitrate HD files (mostly MKVs). So now regarding the 1/4th bandwidth issue i'm wondering if i should allocate my 512 ati card to my 3rd display. My mac pro is used for print and web design, so i'm not sure if I need all the necessary GPU power.

What's your take on it? Does my dedicated HD media playback need the pcie 16x slot or am i okay with the 4x slots for PLEX?

seek3r: i'm in California.

Unless you are playing games with a very high-end card, you will not run out of PCIe bandwidth on an x4 slot.

Edit: you can also reassign the PCIe bandwidth in a Mac Pro. If you're really worried about it, you could give two cards each an x8 slot, which I know is more than enough for any of the obsolete cards Apple sells.