New unibody trackpad features on white macbook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has added the 4finger gesture and features to the new unibody macbooks trackpad...

It would be pretty cool if you can do it on previous generation macbooks. I've looked around the web and found a trackpad firmware side track which adds 2 finger gestures to older generation macbooks, but there is none supported for 3 or 4 finger gestures. Today, when i was looking around the system folder on my white macbook though, i found the trackpad preference (trackpad.prefPane) file in the PreferencePanes folder, which is in library. Does anyone think replacing the current trackpad pref file in unibody macbooks with this one can add the features to older macbooks? Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I don't think Apple would do that seeing as how they made it seem like it was a High End type of feature. If they added it to the Poly MacBook, the customer's only reason to buy the Unibodies would be because of the DDR3 RAM (which has little difference to every days users) and because of the aluminum design.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

I don't think Apple would do that seeing as how they made it seem like it was a High End type of feature. If they added it to the Poly MacBook, the customer's only reason to buy the Unibodies would be because of the DDR3 RAM (which has little difference to every days users) and because of the aluminum design.

true. however there's been rumors about snow leopard bringing more finger gestures.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Let us not forget who the innovator of finger gestures was. Microsoft!

Whenever we use Windows, by instinct we are compelled use one finger gesture in particular. And it is an efficient use of a single digit to express our feelings about the OS.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    i got the trackpad.prefpane from my friend's unibody but it still shows up as the same as before (no 3 or 4 finger gestures) i am pretty sure this is because my macbook knows its not a unibody. There must be some files in the OS that tell it what kind of computer it is; like when on a shared network my computer shows up as a little picture of a white macbook.

What I want to know is if there's a way to modify some files on OSX to make my mac think its a unibody (just like the way i was able to make my ipod touch think it was an iphone by finding N45.plist and M68.plist and switching their names)

You can AIM me if u have an answer: dylanforesz
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ur problem is not software, but hardware, new macbooks (unibody and some older macbook pros) have a chip that interprets the multi-touch gestures. older macbooks have up to 2 finger support for scrolling standard.

so u won't have any luck just changing system files.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHope theWorld View Post

ur problem is not software, but hardware, new macbooks (unibody and some older macbook pros) have a chip that interprets the multi-touch gestures. older macbooks have up to 2 finger support for scrolling standard.

so u won't have any luck just changing system files.

Actually my powerbook has 2 finger gestures. Surprisingly because i rember my friends newer ibook didnt.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

Actually my powerbook has 2 finger gestures. Surprisingly because i rember my friends newer ibook didnt.

oh, ok. i never used a powerbook before, so i didn't know. so some older NOTEBOOKS have 2 finger support for scrolling/right-click
  • Reply 8 of 9
    paprochypaprochy Posts: 129member
    what is interesting is that Powerbooks used to only have 2 finger scrolls, but recently after some update they gained 2 finger tap.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    no its not hardware this guy: http://www.randomtruth.110mb.com/blog/

has made a driver that allows the gestures to work perfectly on any macbook

the catch is its only for linux right now