Does Jaguar support Serial or SCSI?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been waiting for the day that I can get rid of OS 9 for good, so having serial and scsi support would definitely do that. I was wondering if any of you know whether it is in the new builds of Jaguar or if they are ever going to support it. My confidence in having these work on X is dwindling...

Lemon Bon Bon what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    have you changed your name ?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tomahawktomahawk Posts: 178member
    OS X supports SCSI now doesn't it? Our G4 was ordered with a SCSI card. OS X works just fine on our old G3 with a Serial keyboard, etc.

Also, doesn't the X Serve have both? I would think this means it supports them quite well.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Is it a serial keyboard or ADB?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    SCSI works fine in OS X, and in Jaguar also. I haven't tried any serial devices so I don't know if it's supported, but... OS X is supported on B&W G3 towers, and Powerbooks with serial ports so I have to assume it is supported.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    Well OSX supports machines with serial however serial ports do not work. ADB keyboards and mice work, however serial and ADB ports are different. The B&W G3 has an ADB port but no serial ports. Long story short OSX supports SCSI however it may not support your device, and does not support serial ports or peripherals and I strongly doubt Jaguar or any future release with add this functionality.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Xserve has a DB9 serial port on the back, though I doubt that really means anything for ADB and Apple serial...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    My Printer and Modem port work for networking in 10.1.5. I had to use my GV 33.6 modem Tuesday evening through Thursday afternoon when my ADSL was cut off without warning on Tuesday evening. the serial ports in my Beige G3 saved my life (the Beige G3 cotinues to amaze me at how it never has problems comp-ared to newer Mac's and how it preforms in Mac OS X).
  • Reply 8 of 15
    dxp4acudxp4acu Posts: 45member
    Alright! I'll go home tonight and try it. I'm excited. I'll let yall know if my modem/digital camera for serial and cd writer for scsi work. Thanks!

Zach

Not Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 9 of 15
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Yeah, Beige kicks ass! I have a G4/500 and Radeon in mine and do LW, psd, etc. I dont have plans to upgrade until next year. The machine is ROCK solid.

I have a SCSI CDRW, ADB Keyboard, screaming fast 56k GV modem in the modem port (no DSL or Cable in my hood ). They all work great.

I had a wonderful 9x12 Wacom tablet, but gave it to my bro (still in 9). I think I will be pushed off this machine by SW manufacturers who drop support; not by performance. My WACOM worked fine until they didn't make OSX ADB drivers. F'thrm, I want a new tablet but dont want to buy WACOM because of their Apple like upgrade policies (or is Apple Wacom like).

At work, I have a G4/500agp w/ a scsi card and drive...no problems.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gmongmon Posts: 13member
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>... screaming fast 56k GV modem in the modem port (no DSL or Cable in my hood ). ...

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Screaming fast 56k modem? You obviously don't have cable or DSL! ;-)

Seriously though, serial ports work fine in OSX, whoever says otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about. I used an external 56k modem on my 7600 in OSX for about half a year until I got a cable modem.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I am very nervious about doing the ZIFF upgrade becuase of going into unsupported mode.

That means hacking the CD to get it to install

Here are the specs on my Beige G3
    • MiniTower Rev A

• 266mhz

• AV Personality Card

• 416MB RAM

• Internal SCSI Zip

• Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical

• Radeon Mac:Edition 32MB DDR

• Maxtor 60B 7200ROM

• OrangeMicro Firewire/USB PCI

• Yamaha Firewire 16x10x40 CDRW

• Sony 17 200sf

• Epson Stylus Color 740

All I need to do is Max out the RAM and do that CPU upgrade. I am just worried about OS X not installing becase of a third party CPU upgrade and having to hack the CD to get it to install. I will not hack the CD to install Mac OS X.[*]

[ 07-27-2002: Message edited by: Mac Write ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 15
    obi-dunobi-dun Posts: 19member
    The adaptec 2906 and 29160 work fine with my G4 with 10.1.5
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gmongmon Posts: 13member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Write:

<strong>I am very nervious about doing the ZIFF upgrade becuase of going into unsupported mode.

That means hacking the CD to get it to install

Here are the specs on my Beige G3

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why? Your Beige G3 is supported now, adding a Zif upgrade is not going to make it a different machine. It will still be a beige G3, and will still be supported.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Apple states CPU upgrade's NOT SUPPORTED, which means installing OS X,

I don't have the time or patients to hack the CD to get the OS to install if the installer CPU upgrades not supported.

I won't do the upgrade if I can't install the OS from the CD Apple gives me without any modification.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Write:

<strong>Apple states CPU upgrade's NOT SUPPORTED, which means installing OS X,

I don't have the time or patients to hack the CD to get the OS to install if the installer CPU upgrades not supported.

I won't do the upgrade if I can't install the OS from the CD Apple gives me without any modification.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could just install the OS and then install the CPU upgrade. Also, I think there's at least one CPU upgrade mfc who claims that their stuff's is completely compatible with OS X, i.e. no drivers needed.