No iPods, iPhones allowed in Gates household

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Would somebody please think of the children?
  • Reply 22 of 70
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No wonder Bill's kids hate him.

No wonder EVERYBODY hates him .... the awful stuff he has let loose in this world ...
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Together, Bill and Melinda Gates run their eponymous charity organization that enjoys assets of around $35 billion. The two say they still plan to give all of their fortune away.

Funny that no one commented on this so far. The same can not be said of SJ - donating all his fortune...

In all the MS bashing one should not forget that at the end of the day BG is committed on donating most if not all his fortune to those who need it. He is one of the largest AIDS research and Malaria vaccination donors in the world, literally saving hundreds of thousands of kids from death.

Maybe his products are not as hip as Apple's (for sure they're not) but his intentions are laudable. Maybe SJ should try topping him ;-)
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Right or wrong, I've know people that have worked for Anheiser Bush and for Coca-Cola, and yes, you can get fired for using competing products!

There was a famous case in the Atlanta (home of Coca-Cola) paper, where a minor exec at Coke was drinking a Pepsi at work. I think she was asked to get rid of it, she thought it was a joke and refused, and eventually was fired.

There are companies out there that are fanatical. These two, Microsoft, and Frito-Lay are all examples, for sure.

That was at work-which I believe is the point.

You would have a helluva lawsuit on your hands if you got fired for drinking Sam Adams at home when you worked for bud.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

In other news: I've just made myself a cup of tea.

After reading this and the last thread- I could have sworn AI has hired W.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Melinda Gates, who was hired by Microsoft at the age of 22 and worked on products like Encarta, Expedia, and Microsoft Bob, went on to marry the founder of the company. Vogue describes her as possibly the "most ambitious woman on Earth."

More than Madonna? More than Clinton? More than Octomom?
  • Reply 27 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Would somebody please think of the children?

Leave no child behind! What is he thinking?
  • Reply 28 of 70
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Funny that no one commented on this so far. The same can not be said of SJ - donating all his fortune...

In all the MS bashing one should not forget that at the end of the day BG is committed on donating most if not all his fortune to those who need it. He is one of the largest AIDS research and Malaria vaccination donors in the world, literally saving hundreds of thousands of kids from death.

Maybe his products are not as hip as Apple's (for sure they're not) but his intentions are laudable. Maybe SJ should try topping him ;-)

Who cares??

All I care about is the product. I couldn't give a sweet shit what the chairman/CEO does in terms of charity unless it somehow reflects on the company's bottom line, and then I only care if I'm an investor.

Besides, Gates' philanthropy has nothing to do with MS as a business. Nor does it have anything to do with the fact that Apple currently has more cash on hand than MS, for example.

And as for Gates not allowing any Apple tech in the house . . . it's probably because they would serve as constant reminders of what the MS licensing hog has done to innovation and R&D over the years. It has something to do with swirling down the toilet.

Than again, BG doesn't quite have it together these days, so his decision might just be an irrational, nonsensical act, much like releasing a swarm of mosquitos into an audience.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    That's nothing. At Ballmer's house, you can't eat apples or play Apples to Apples. Or use the word "google", even when referring to eyes. Or use Sony products. Or use deodorant (this one has nothing to do with competition, but is simply one of Steve's rules).
  • Reply 30 of 70
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

It is true that Jobs does not hold regular press conferences to trumpet his donations, but it might be wrong to draw conclusions from that.

The fact that Gates gives away billions of dollars just indicates he is not utterly stingy. He's still a multi-billionaire after all. Generosity is a lot more than just giving away something you do not need. As others have also mentioned, a significant proportion of his "gifts" have been Microsoft

products. Is that charity or business promotion?

His intentions may be partially laudable and partially a futile attempt to buy his way into heaven.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Ballmer is the same. It's mainly the higher up employees who will do that because it's symbolic. You know how the press goes nuts when they see Ballmer at a talk and there's a Mac laptop there.

If they are seen using Apple products, it suggests that they prefer those products to their own. That would be ridiculously bad for business. Although their families don't work for the company, they are still very strong representatives.

Employees who aren't public-facing ones, it doesn't really matter. It's the same reason why unsuccessful businessmen will try to drive around in good cars and wear nice clothes. It's to give the illusion of success.

Consumers are mostly like sheep and have what someone else is having. If a product is undesirable, it is automatically pushed down the must buy list. This is why Apple's hype factor is very important. It's not just the quality of the product but the desirability and that comes from association more than anything. I know people to whom this doesn't matter one bit and have bought other touch screen phones due to them having MMS.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    With apologies for introducing a serious element into this Happy Hour thread...

I'm afraid the B&MG Foundation is not the act of selfless altruism as the (very successful) spin suggests, but is a tax avoidance mechanism designed for the extremely wealthy. The article states the Foundation has $35 bn (up from $32.5 bn last year), and as long as it spends at least $1.5 bn p.a. it pays no tax on the earnings of the rest. So one of the world's wealthiest men is effectively being 'taxed' on his investment earnings at a rate of just c.4.5%, with the added perk of deciding where and how he spends it. When this faux largesse is used to subsidise cheap laptops running Windows into developing countries, thus undercutting Linux alternatives, the self-interest could hardly be more blatant.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    She'd have to be the most ambitious woman on earth to hook up with Gates. It certainly wasn't for his fabulous good looks and sparkling personality.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

With apologies for introducing a serious element into this Happy Hour thread...

I'm afraid the B&MG Foundation is not the act of selfless altruism as the (very successful) spin suggests, but is a tax avoidance mechanism designed for the extremely wealthy. The article states the Foundation has $35 bn (up from $32.5 bn last year), and as long as it spends at least $1.5 bn p.a. it pays no tax on the earnings of the rest. So one of the world's wealthiest men is effectively being 'taxed' on his investment earnings at a rate of just c.4.5%, with the added perk of deciding where and how he spends it. When this faux largesse is used to subsidise cheap laptops running Windows into developing countries, thus undercutting Linux alternatives, the self-interest could hardly be more blatant.

Also, I remember a year or two ago, an investiagtion where certain groups were getting money only if they used a certain pharmacy companies products, and that turned out that billy boy owns tons of stock in the pharmacy company he was trying to force people to use, and in using that company, increasing the pharmacy companys profits, and his stock value. he is a crook, always has been. remember, he was well off as a child, and his parents gave him the $ to buy dos and sell to ibm. once a spoiled little brat, always a spoiled brat..
  • Reply 35 of 70
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

How do you know he doesn't donate his fortune, when did it become a law or requirement to donate your fortune, I don't donate most of the money I make, does that make me a bad person, I think you should donate the money you make after all there are people in 3rd world country who could probably use some of your money.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    jcsegenmdjcsegenmd Posts: 105member
    johnny mozarella

you missed the real pun, which was GATE(s)way drugs

can you imagine what that would do to the stock when the go to Uni and are caught on camera using a Macbook
  • Reply 37 of 70
    user_23user_23 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The General View Post

Also, I remember a year or two ago, an investiagtion where certain groups were getting money only if they used a certain pharmacy companies products, and that turned out that billy boy owns tons of stock in the pharmacy company he was trying to force people to use, and in using that company, increasing the pharmacy companys profits, and his stock value. he is a crook, always has been. remember, he was well off as a child, and his parents gave him the $ to buy dos and sell to ibm. once a spoiled little brat, always a spoiled brat..

well, yeah...there's a wee bit of scandal hovering around the B&MGF...

but, would you rather it disappear? Sure, Bill's pockets are growing fatter through charity (purportedly) - but, the people on the receiving end of that charity also benefit. Causing more harm than good? Not likely. In fact, at least one extremely helpful organization in my city would fail if it weren't for the B&MGF.

uhm, and as far as Bill's kids go..sure, yeah right, they use the Zune?

http://hideapod.com/
  • Reply 38 of 70
    Quote:

Interesting.

Steve Jobs ? Net Worth: US $5.4 Billion (2008 Forbes)

Bill Gates ? Net Worth: US$58 Billion (2008) and it was larger back in 1999 when he started the Gates foundation with 4.8 billion. I think he was over 100 billion then. And I know a good bit of the Gates foundation was augmented in 2006 by a huge donation from Warren Buffet.

I wonder as a percentage of their net worth, which one (Bill or Steve) has given more to charity. I guess it is possible that BG has been publicizing his giving and SJ has kept his under the radar. It would certainly match up with SJ desire for privacy. But certainly in terms of sheer amount, BG is to be lauded for the amount of money he has funneled into charitable foundations.

Certainly this article thinks there is no comparison (http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com.../2006/01/70072)

but I do wonder where the truth is.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    Why the hatred of Apple, Bill? You wouldn't have any money if you didn't have something decent to copy. You get it wrong every time, but you made it to IBM first.. and we all have to deal with the aftermath to this day.

Give away your money faster.. I'm tired of hearing about you and your failing company.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user_23 View Post

well, yeah...there's a wee bit of scandal hovering around the B&MGF...

but, would you rather it disappear? Sure, Bill's pockets are growing fatter through charity (purportedly) - but, the people on the receiving end of that charity also benefit. Causing more harm than good? Not likely. In fact, at least one extremely helpful organization in my city would fail if it weren't for the B&MGF.

Yeah, I find it odd that in a thread where people are bashing the Gates' for not letting their kids have the choice of using an iPod, anyone who dares say anything remotely good about Bill Gates, Melinda Gates, or the B&MGF is taken to the woodshed.

Any charitable organization of that size is going to have the occasional problem, and, if it's well managed, it's also going to have to rely on some corporate partnerships and controls to effectively work on its mission. So what if poor kids have to use Windows or a certain brand of medication? It's much, much, much better than the alternative.

I use Windows all day at my job, and I can't say it's ever been a major impediment to getting things done (my dinosaur of a Dell, on the other hand...). So I'm pretty sure it can meet the needs of some kid in the developing world.

I think it's totally fair to mock Bill Gates' ignorant statements about Apple products, about technology in general, and about the products the company he founded produces. And it's also fair to point out flaws in his charitable foundation. But to dismiss the man as some crook, to express emotions that seem to border on personal hatred toward a man none of us have met, seems extreme.