Apple ready with new Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is poised to introduce new versions of its Time Capsule wireless backup appliance and AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless routers, regulatory filings with the Federal Communications Commission reveal.

A filing for a new AirPort Express (ID Label diagram) was originally lodged in January and granted on Monday, while a filing for a new Time Capsule (ID Label diagram) was first made back in August of 2008 and also granted this week.

The documents appear to indicate that Apple is adding a combined mode, allowing its AirPort base stations to simultaneously support iPhones and other 802.11b/g devices operating at 2.4 GHz, while also broadcasting 802.11n wide signals in the 5GHz band to maximize throughput for notebooks and devices such as Apple TV. Existing models can only run in one mode or the other, providing either wide compatibility or the highest possible network performance, but not both.

As noted in our original review of Time Capsule, there is also significant room for improvement in the performance of its embedded file server, although the FCC documents only refer to the devices' radio features. There is no mention of adding femtocell 3G support to the AirPort products, for example.

The filings come two weeks after AppleInsider relayed a report from Australia's whirlpool forums which recommended that Australian Mac users not purchase any of the company's existing AirPort products because a source was informed by his employer that "there will be new Airport Extreme and Airport Express within the next few weeks."

While Apple has reflected relatively healthy inventory of AirPort Extremes in the US and Canada, availability of the wireless routers has been close to non-existant for the past 2-3 weeks in parts of Europe, such as Sweden, Norway, Denmark, France, Germany, and Italy.

An AppleInsider blog post published earlier today noted rumors of six new Apple product part numbers that have turned up in the inventory systems of some of the company's overseas resellers. Typically when the FCC publishes authorization documentation for a new Apple product, that product hits the market within days of the grant being made public.

It should also be noted that Amazon recently slashed the price of the current generation Time Capsules by 13 - 22 percent, a move which may now be seen as an inventory clearing measure ahead of new models. The 1TB Time Capsule was marked down $112 to $387.92 while the 500GB model was reduced by about $40 to $259.31.

More FCC documents

AirPort Extreme: Authorization Letter [PDF], Request for confidentiality [PDF], and Test report [PDF]

Time Capsule: Authorization Letter [PDF], Request for confidentiality [PDF], and Test report [PDF]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Like the mini rumour, both appear to be exactly the same form factor and size as the previous models by those drawing measurements.

How, um ... exciting?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Bring on the Apple Home Server/ Home Datacenter/ Time Capsule Uber or whatever.

I hope they're more than just HDD bumps.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Like the mini rumour, both appear to be exactly the same form factor and size as the previous models by those drawing measurements.

How, um ... exciting?

There's nothing wrong with the current form factor. It's the guts and the software that are important. If those are majorly improved, I'm excited.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Unlike the first poster, I don't care if the casing changes. I just hope Apple leapfrogs the other solutions in this space as they have in the past. They tend to deliver competitively priced, feature rich solutions that then get overtaken by cheaper alternatives over time.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hmmm...Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes, iMacs, Mac Pros, Mac minis...

So is this the new Apple strategy?

Release everything including the kitchen sink at the same time?
  • Reply 6 of 42
    My secondary reason for not buying a Time Capsule are b/c of the lack of options. I'd like to have an easy way to format the TC and more software options to customize how I'd like to use the system. For most people, TC is fantastic, but I'd like a little more customization.

My main reason is the incompatibility with the Xbox 360 (or vice versa). I'd like full comp. with the 360 before I buy a TC. Whether it's Apple's or Microsoft fault (I think it's Microsoft in this case), it's something I'd like to see addressed.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

There's nothing wrong with the current form factor. It's the guts and the software that are important. If those are majorly improved, I'm excited.

Well it kind of sinks the earlier rumours of Time Capsule expandability a la drobo, and with the mac mini apparently having the same case as well, it puts the kibosh on the whole idea of a home server from Apple. So it's relevant info in that if true it brings the products in question down to the level of a HD refresh for the most part.

Seems stunningly unexciting to me.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Until the AirPort Extreme has a web interface, so I can administer it from an operating system that's not OS X or Windows, I'm not buying it.

Hopefully, Apple will fix this.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well it kind of sinks the earlier rumours of Time Capsule expandability a la drobo, and with the mac mini apparently having the same case as well, it puts the kibosh on the whole idea of a home server from Apple. So it's relevant info in that if true it brings the products in question down to the level of a HD refresh for the most part.

Seems stunningly unexciting to me.

I really don't expect a Home Server from Apple until 2010. My guess is 2010 could be a coming out party for custom ARM chips massaged by PA Semi.

A dual core ARM based chip running a small subset of OS X features could make for a functional yet Green storage array.

It feels to me a bit early to expect this in 2009. In ways I think we need to get Snow Leopard shipping and any server like functionality will likely come in iTunes 9 which I pray will have some serious work done on it.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    dakingdaking Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theBigD23 View Post

My secondary reason for not buying a Time Capsule are b/c of the lack of options. I'd like to have an easy way to format the TC and more software options to customize how I'd like to use the system. For most people, TC is fantastic, but I'd like a little more customization.

My main reason is the incompatibility with the Xbox 360 (or vice versa). I'd like full comp. with the 360 before I buy a TC. Whether it's Apple's or Microsoft fault (I think it's Microsoft in this case), it's something I'd like to see addressed.

I now can use WPA/WPA2 personal on my airport extreme and my 360's can connect using WPA.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    I hope they fix the *PRICE* on the Time Capsule. While $499 was reasonable for a 1TB NAS when they first came out, the prices on 1TB drives has dropped so significantly that now the 1TB (and 512GB too) Time Capsules are a colossal rip off.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daking View Post

I now can use WPA/WPA2 personal on my airport extreme and my 360's can connect using WPA.

Airport Extreme does work with the 360 using encryption, but my research and comments on boards says that the TC specifically cannot connect to the 360 wirelessly, with WPA or WEP encryption. Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I personally prefer a Time Capsule that looks like the old Contact medicine. It was "time"-released capsule after all.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Apple TV...Airport Extreme...Time Capsule...too many different devices. There should be one device that accesses the Internet, acts as a server to hold video and iTunes music (which can be shared by all computers) and acts as a base station. This is just more of the same.

While I'm at it, why can't Apple also make the thing replace my Onkyo surround sound receiver? Imaging one beautiful device, sitting beneath the television...white with pulsating blue light...delivering online content, downloading high def movies, and powering my 6 speakers and sub woofer. It would also have the most beautiful universal remote. Some day....
  • Reply 15 of 42
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    For those of us with current Extremes (n version), is the simultaneous dual-band wireless something that could be added through a firmware update from Apple?. I just recently added an older Express (in bridge mode) so I could do AirTunes around the house, but this might lend some other possibilities as well. Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Until the AirPort Extreme has a web interface, so I can administer it from an operating system that's not OS X or Windows, I'm not buying it.

Hopefully, Apple will fix this.

Let me guess... you want a Java applet?

I'd rather see them create an iPhone/iPod touch app for configuring base stations.

Not going to happen any time soon but it would be nice...and it wouldn't be OS X or windows.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    oberpongooberpongo Posts: 182member
    With Western Digitals new GREEN 2TB drive available, there will be sure a 2 TB Time Capsule for 499.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post

Apple TV...Airport Extreme...Time Capsule...too many different devices. There should be one device that accesses the Internet, acts as a server to hold video and iTunes music (which can be shared by all computers) and acts as a base station.

Well. I'm in a DSL household, which means my DSL line is coming in at a location different from that of cable. I have an Extreme on the DSL, two Apple TVs that handle streaming to two different TVs, some Expresses for streaming music to various speaker systems, and an iMac in my office which also acts as my iTunes base station and media server.

They all do different jobs at different locations, so some sort of magical "all-in-one" device just isn't going to cut it.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post

Apple TV...Airport Extreme...Time Capsule...too many different devices. There should be one device that accesses the Internet, acts as a server to hold video and iTunes music (which can be shared by all computers) and acts as a base station. This is just more of the same.

While I'm at it, why can't Apple also make the thing replace my Onkyo surround sound receiver? Imaging one beautiful device, sitting beneath the television...white with pulsating blue light...delivering online content, downloading high def movies, and powering my 6 speakers and sub woofer. It would also have the most beautiful universal remote. Some day....

Well Time Capsule does sort of augment if not replace airport extreme. I wouldn't want it to replace an Apple TV though because the ATV is a media extender. I should be able to buy'em for every HDTV in the home yet still have a centralized storage and wifi access.

How about an Apple NAS devices that can stack a Airport Extreme or Time Capsule on top?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

With Western Digitals new GREEN 2TB drive available, there will be sure a 2 TB Time Capsule for 499.

That $499 pricepoint may be hard seeing as how the WD drive is 249 smackers in many places.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

I'd prefer a lower price point for 500GB and 1TB. Their price for 1TB is so ridiculously expensive, one can buy the 500GB model and a 1TB drive and still have a decent amount of change.