• Reply 61 of 137
    dunnodunno Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TuberMagPico View Post

bold guessing mode

Airport Extreme -> MB763LL/A - K10 - USA

TimeCapsule -> MB764LL/A - K30 - GOOD-USA

TimeCapsule -> MB765LL/A - K30 - BETTER-USA

That makes sense if you look at what was recently found out about the Time Capsule and Airport Extreme FCC filing. While in either of the links, click the "ID Label" section.
  • Reply 62 of 137
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Oh F**K ME I just checked out the Dell XPS line. ... It looks like it fights any Apple desktop offering HARD. Oh and the Dell Studio with discrete 256MB ATI Radeon™ HD 3450 Graphics Card... Ah well, I stand corrected. The heat is on.

I AM FEELING VERY CONFUSED !!!
  • Reply 63 of 137
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Oh F**K ME

I'll pass but thanks for asking!

Quote:

I just checked out the Dell XPS line. ... It looks like it fights any Apple desktop offering HARD. Oh and the Dell Studio with discrete 256MB ATI Radeon? HD 3450 Graphics Card... Ah well, I stand corrected. The heat is on.

I AM FEELING VERY CONFUSED !!!

But it's a Dell.

Don't know where the confusion lies???
  • Reply 64 of 137
    dunnodunno Posts: 3member
    Good point. Dells suck.
  • Reply 65 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I'll pass but thanks for asking!

But it's a Dell.

Don't know where the confusion lies???

dell is a decent brand. they are more well built then they were 4 years ago... maybe catch up on the times?
  • Reply 66 of 137
    pkurtdpkurtd Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

gah, its posts like this that make this site look bad... considering they (as low end as they are) often use better internals than Apple themselves.

Yeah. And it's the stains touting their MS mouses that make this site viable. Can you see Russia from your house?
  • Reply 67 of 137
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

dell is a decent brand. they are more well built then they were 4 years ago... maybe catch up on the times?

That would be why my company is switching back to ThinkPads after switching to Dells a few years ago. The vast majority of the Dell laptops in the company (several thousand) had at least one major component fail. I was one of the lucky ones only needing to have my keyboard replaced and the modem died. At least a 1/3 of us had to have the hard drives replaced, at least once, and a significant number had to have the entire motherboard replaced. About a year ago they finally gave up trying to fix them and just started replacing them with the ThinkPads.

Granted, the Dell desktops have held up nicely; but the laptops were crap. Maybe they are better now, but I'd certainly never trust them again.

Anyway, sorry, back on topic... BRING ON THE NEW MINI!!!
  • Reply 68 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pkurtd View Post

Yeah. And it's the stains touting their MS mouses that make this site viable. Can you see Russia from your house?

wow how original... btw im a democrat from ketchikan alaska, if you look at a map (which might be foreign to you knowing your states education system) you'll see that im closer to Seattle than Nome.

seriously though, your comment was horrible. and there is nothing wrong with ANY mouse that is actually designed around the human hand.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

That would be why my company is switching back to ThinkPads after switching to Dells a few years ago. The vast majority of the Dell laptops in the company (several thousand) had at least one major component fail. I was one of the lucky ones only needing to have my keyboard replaced and the modem died. At least a 1/3 of us had to have the hard drives replaced, at least once, and a significant number had to have the entire motherboard replaced. About a year ago they finally gave up trying to fix them and just started replacing them with the ThinkPads.

Granted, the Dell desktops have held up nicely; but the laptops were crap. Maybe they are better now, but I'd certainly never trust them again.

Anyway, sorry, back on topic... BRING ON THE NEW MINI!!!

well, based on my experience (not hundreds, but a few dozen in the company i work with) i think they work just fine, nothing major yet. but one thing i notice with dell that Apple does better is customer service. but as for reliability, ive found it to be barely in Apples favor. and getting them replaced have not been a problem. but what concerns me is that apple is falling behind in the hardware department, and when they fall too far behind, with a higher price, customer service does not make up for it...

i like Apple, otherwise i would not make so many posts here, (since i found it less than a month ago) i just wish this site had a few less "die hards" than it does (not you, some of the other members) Apple does a lot of things right, but they are far from perfect. in my home office, i want an Apple, but they cant cost more than $300 more than a comparative dell. if so, its just too much.
  • Reply 70 of 137
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pkurtd View Post

Wow, why such douchebaggery? Believe it or not more then a few people hate the form/function of the mighty mouse. That does not mean apple is teh doomed! Whats wrong with a little constructive criticism?
  • Reply 71 of 137
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

also, they *need* a new mighty mouse. i dont care if it is more sophisticated than it looks, it needs to feel better in a persons hand. if these rumors are faulse, and there is a really good iMac ahead of us, then i will still keep my Microsoft laser mouse 5000.

The Mighty Mouse is the perfect shape for me. I just wish I didn't have to clean the ball so often.
  • Reply 72 of 137
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    If this rumour is true, then Apple could have put this update out four months ago, at the same time as the MacBooks. I hope it's not the case that Apple was waiting for the Core i7s, but is skittish about Nvidia's problems with Intel over the newer chips, prompting them to release this less dramatic update now. That would be a bummer.

If they release this update with no major announcement, then maybe it's just somethng for the short term while the Intel-Nvidia stuff gets straightened out (which could take a while, actually).
  • Reply 73 of 137
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    One problem with these rumors is that the high-end 24" iMac is not a 24" iMac. That sku is for the new 30" model.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    So in a hilarious turn of events all the only apple products without firewire 800 are the mba(understandable) and the aluminum macbook(ridiculous). If these announcements come to pass will all those morons who yelled
    Quote:

"firewire is a pro feature!"

apologize? I type this from an aluminum macbook myself, kind of pissed off, if the next rev happens to have firewire 800 I'll sell this one.

This garbage happened to me with my old non firewire 800 macbook pro and then they added it back the model after.
  • Reply 75 of 137
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

So in a hilarious turn of events all the only apple products without firewire 800 are the mba(understandable) and the aluminum macbook(ridiculous). If these announcements come to pass will all those morons who yelled apologize? I type this from an aluminum macbook myself, kind of pissed off, if the next rev happens to have firewire 800 I'll sell this one.

This garbage happened to me with my old non firewire 800 macbook pro and then they added it back the model after.

I understand your point about the firewire, but it is becoming obvious that the aluminum MB nixed firewire for space reasons (If you watch the video Apple has on it, it shows the motherboard, there is no room for any other ports to be added). Also, the white MacBook has firewire 400, not 800.
  • Reply 76 of 137
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It will be integrated graphics, but it won't be Intel's integrated graphics. I guess it would be equivalent to a low end a.

So. Still intergrated GPU? That's what I said last week. Whe I would welcome dedicated graphics, I don't see it happening on the mini when it didn't happen on the MacBook WITH FireWire. Guess Apple would show once again that low end means = no games = no pro apps as I will still be very surprised to see dedicated gpu and FireWire.

Typical but hope not. Apple doesn't need to worry abut the <1% of users using sub macho we for pro work. Really. They need to move beyond that and watch sales grow not shrink. Hope to see nvidia and FireWire on the machines.

Regarding FireWire ( other poster) it was removed from MacBook due to faster gpu. apple simply will not allow a user to be able to use pro apps with firewire AND dedicated gpu. If they do on the mini then there will either be a SNAFU or Apple has realized it's not worth shutting out theess than one percent and yes it should be in all macs except the MBA.
  • Reply 77 of 137
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The Mighty Mouse is the perfect shape for me. I just wish I didn't have to clean the ball so often.

Apple are incapable of making a robust, practical or usable mouse, I'm back to using a cordless re-branded logitech, Dell mouse on a Mac, I hear you, "blasphemy! sacrilegious!" I hear all the screams around me

The friggin' iMac better deliver quad core and LCD if they want sales. I'll be very surprise if they launch the new Mac Pro this month, but I suppose it's possible probably for shipping in August or Sept... 2010
  • Reply 78 of 137
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Regarding FireWire ( other poster) it was removed from MacBook due to faster gpu. apple simply will not allow a user to be able to use pro apps with firewire AND dedicated gpu. If they do on the mini then there will either be a SNAFU or Apple has realized it's not worth shutting out theess than one percent and yes it should be in all macs except the MBA.

Dude, firewire is not the only gateway for pro apps. Earlier today I didn't have a chance to get home to do any colour correction on my mac pro so I fired up colour on my macbook for the first time and had no problems, obviously not as good as my mac pro but fine. Remember this is the same card that is in the macbook pro if you don't boot into the 9600 and a guarantee a lot of users are either too lazy or too dumb to boot into it. This makes the macbooks like 500mhz slower than the pros. Big deal.

The only legitimate case anyone has made against the firewire 800 on the macbook is space. To that I say, drop the kensington lock slot (it's worthless I've seen the metal or plastic left around the lock after they've snapped it off the computer) and move everything but ethernet down to fit it. If push comes to shove drop ethernet and throw in the dongle.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Perhaps with the iMac they'll introduce some great new features that will make us forget about the missing quad cpu such as:

- External monitor mode

- Slimmer design

- Collapsible foot design, making it nearly portable

- BluRay

etc...

Or.. it's just a middle version waiting for the substantial upgrade later in the year..
  • Reply 80 of 137
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Dude, firewire is not the only gateway for pro apps. Earlier today I didn't have a chance to get home to do any colour correction on my mac pro so I fired up colour on my macbook for the first time and had no problems, obviously not as good as my mac pro but fine. Remember this is the same card that is in the macbook pro if you don't boot into the 9600 and a guarantee a lot of users are either too lazy or too dumb to boot into it. This makes the macbooks like 500mhz slower than the pros. Big deal.

The only legitimate case anyone has made against the firewire 800 on the macbook is space. To that I say, drop the kensington lock slot (it's worthless I've seen the metal or plastic left around the lock after they've snapped it off the computer) and move everything but ethernet down to fit it. If push comes to shove drop ethernet and throw in the dongle.

Dude, I understand what you mean, but check this out, although it's not discussed that much except a few times from BAREFEATS.com.

The first several generations of Macbooks had on-board GPU, Intel, they were benchmarked at

70%, 110%, all the way up to 171% when Leopard came out, this was OPENGL only, however, the benchmark is misleading as while it was fast, it was still unacceptable to play games, yet BAREFEATS reported that it RAN Motion and Aperuture very well. So what did Apple do? The next revision Apple released a slower GMA X300 (I think that was the model) and the bench mark went from 171% DOWN to 70%, affecting NOTHING except the use of PRO APPS that ran the OPEN GL.

FFW to present day, now we have Macbooks with dedicated GPU however, NO firewire, so in the PRO forums, many of us, especially MUSICIANS, were pretty fumed with the lack of firewire and many saw the ommision of firewire as a slap in the face to a market base less than 1%. Apple went out of their way to release a re-fresh that went from 171% down to 70% affecting nothing except the PRO apps as it didn't save battery life or offer any performane enhancements, in fact, it was slower.

Just the fact that Apple went out of their way to affect <1% and then to affirm this with the lack of firewire on the present macbooks, was not surprising - this is why if the NEW MINI has both FIREWIRE and DEDICATED GPU, this would be a huge departure from Apple's marketing as they made sure if you wanted to use a PRO APP, you needed both FIREWIRE and DEDICATED GPU, ala iMac, Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, and if the MINI has it, then Apple finally realizes that the fast growing segment is laptops and they won't lose to much money (again, less than 1%) with Pro's using these machines as a second or third machine. Honestly, Apple should make MORE money, not less as PRO uses will always have a HIGH END machine.

If the mini has GPU (dedicated) and firewire, you will see these in edit and audio bays all over California, NYC, Boston, Nashville.

The hardest hit (lack of firewire) on the macbook were the a) Musicians that depended on firewire for PRO AUDIO devices and b) All the mom and pop cam cord users that Apple One to One trainers taught (Down big time from Pro Apps to iLife, not many One to One users can tell you about Logic, let alone Shake, Final Cut, Motion), it's all iLife which makes sense as Apple's bread and butter are the EMAIL, iLife, iPhoto barking puppy dog, stroller bearing moms and dads, nothing wrong with that, but a far cry from what it used to be when PRO CARE and ONE TO ONE was one program.

Still, if there is 1394 and dedicated GPU, it will be interesting to see if there is a SNAFU or is it just that Apple realized laptops = largest sales and non risk. Desktops slid almost 40% last quarter - so expect to see mini, imacs, then the mac pros, only to see the new OS to come out for your OTHER $129 LOL

Peace