New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    All this talk about RAM, hard disk and CPU without any speculation of the GPUs that maybe used...
  • Reply 82 of 137
    Hi guys,

I am sure you have noticed all iMacs are available online

It doesn't say NEW but just click the iMac icon and all new 4 models are there.

Enjoy.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...Let me know if otherwise, because I don't mind getting a Dell if you can show me a sub-$,1000 USD Dell that has a better than 9400M graphic card in it.

Dell XPS M1530 ("15")

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz

- 4GB RAM

- 256MB NVIDIA 8600M GT

- 320GB HDD

- DVD-RW

- HDMI/VGA/FIREWIRE 400/802.11N

- EXPRESSCARD/54 Slot

about $1100 before dell coupons which are easy to find online... Spec out a Macbook and get back to me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

...That 9400M can really crunch some graphics, it is one of the best integrated graphics for entry-level to mid-level price points. Look at the Dells and Sonys. Sure you get 15" for the price of a MacBook 13" but you're still looking in many cases at the almost useless GMA X3100.

Entry level?? For the price of a mid/upper-line Macbook, you can easily get a 13" Dell XPS with a discrete GPU that is 3x faster. They are now very nice looking as well -- though obviously no macbook -- but FAR better design and quality than a POS Dell Inspiron (Like the one I'm using lol) The XPS used to be a gaming brand with gamer nerd design, but now they separated them out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dunno View Post

...-Mac Pro Nehalem w/ 16 core option

Nope

1) the 8-core Nehalem "Beckton" Xeon will only be available for quad-socket platforms, and

2) It is not even coming out until the very end of the year at the earliest

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

If these rumors are true, then it simply means, that the iMac stays with laptop components, and the real update will happen in late autumn, whenever Nehalem laptop chips are available. Looking at the i7 wattage, this might turn out to be the better decision and worth the wait – the i7 desktop CPU's power consumption is higher than the 2.1 GHz G5's used in the iMac and this was quite noisy when compared to the current Intel iMacs.....

No one was talking about a (Core i7) Nehalem in an iMac. But they could readily use a "Penryn" Core 2 Quad without much trouble. Secondly, the Nehalem-based "Clarksfield" quad-core laptop chips that come out sometime in Q3 use more power than the quad-core Penryn. dual-core Nehalem won't be out till after new years 2010...
  • Reply 84 of 137
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

I do not know, why some people think an iMac with laptop components will no longer sell

Simply because a new model at 2.66GHz vs the last one at 2.4GHz after all these months of delays just isn't worth the money or the time. If they've redesigned it, it might be more interesting but you'd be better off getting a refurb. If the Mini is 2 GHz, you'd only lose 33% performance vs the iMac but save about 40% of the price.

If they stick with Core 2 Duo, this is exactly why I think the iMac has seen its day. The Mini with 9400M and DDR3 Ram is powerful enough graphics-wise and although the 2GHz CPU isn't great, it's still a avery capable processor.

Add in 4GB Ram and a 7200rpm hard drive and this generation Mini is the last Mac desktop most consumers will ever need.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlitune

does anyone really believe that apple would finally update any of their desktops without a major media announcement.

Yes, if they aren't worth talking about just like they did with the white Macbook.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by transocean View Post

Hi guys,

I am sure you have noticed all iMacs are available online

It doesn't say NEW but just click the iMac icon and all new 4 models are there.

Enjoy.

Thats just mean..
  • Reply 86 of 137
    lofaszlofasz Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dunno View Post

-Mac Mini w/ 100-200GB hard drive and 2GB+ of RAM

-iMac w/ Quad Core processor and 24in+ screen

-Mac Pro Nehalem w/ 16 core option

-AirPort/Time Capsule update

-Snow Leopard announcement

-New iPhone announcement

-64GB iPod Touch and other minor changes to the iPod lineup

+ new LED cinema display(s)
  • Reply 87 of 137
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    No ability to have a Mini with a dedicated PCI-Express 2.0 GPU eliminates me every purchasing one.

I'd love to purchase 2 or 4 and run XGrid with OpenCL and create a rendering farm that allows me to upgrade the GPU as those change.
  • Reply 88 of 137
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/03/...-and-mac-pros/

Time for some pricedrops! Only the Pro seem to get that substantial upgrades, Dual cores are really not the leading edge performance wise anymore. My guess is that the iMacs are a screen and GPU bump until they go quad. It appears that Apple still will only have dual cores or octa core CPUs but no real Quadcore!
  • Reply 89 of 137
    dyingsundyingsun Posts: 34member
    I wonder why no-one's wondering if they're finally going to address the serious display issues that plague current iMacs, especially the 20'' model which I happen to own. Otherwise the best computer platform I ever had the pleasure to work with, the display quality is horrendous, with all the gradient/brightness lack of uniformity issues. I still can't believe such bad quality materials were actually allowed in an Apple hardware product... it's definitely the only reason that would make me want to upgrade my current setup.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrea818 View Post

I just ordered a refurbed Mac Mini too on Saturday. I'm going to be pretty pissed if the new Mini is 399$-499$(499$ being what I just paid)

Looks like its not shipping till tomorrow, wonder if I should cancel it before it ships, or if I could just return the unopened Fed-Ex box to the Apple store

JUST DENY THE FED-EXP delivery they MUST return to sender.-- if you don't accept the package then it is not "yours" end you can then cancel the order...
  • Reply 91 of 137
    t-rext-rex Posts: 6member
    dyingsun - make sure you get one with an IPS panel. The 20" tend to use TN panels which are inferior to the IPS panels usually used in the 24". I'm obviously unaware what panels they will use in the new ones but check this if you want the best screen quality.
  • Reply 92 of 137
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Apple Store Down LOL
  • Reply 93 of 137
    dyingsundyingsun Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by T-rex View Post

dyingsun - make sure you get one with an IPS panel. The 20" tend to use TN panels which are inferior to the IPS panels usually used in the 24". I'm obviously unaware what panels they will use in the new ones but check this if you want the best screen quality.

Yeah, I know about that, but even the 24'' ones are far from being great... and in any case I don't understand why 20'' models are made of lesser quality materials, it just doesn't make any sense, it's the same computer model, just a smaller size! 37'' and 42'' LCD or plasma TVs are made of the same materials, they just vary in size. I honestly never heard of a similar situation.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Apple Store Down LOL

No it's not... and all (old) iMacs shipping within 24 hrs btw.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

No it's not...

Oh yes, it is.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    a_hnaua_hnau Posts: 26member
    UK Apple Store also off line LOL
  • Reply 97 of 137
    US Store is down.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    franz71franz71 Posts: 4member
    Italy store down
  • Reply 99 of 137
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Ditto
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Just did a "print-screen" on this:

The red box says "Tuesday, March 3rd 2009" in Portuguese. 10:30 is my local time (this post was around 10:40 xD).

I'm actually in the Apple.com store and not in Portuguese store.

Don't know if they usually update their store on Tuesdays, but if not this could really be a sign that new iMacs and/or Mac Mini's are coming...to be honest I'd expect more processing power on them, but if they get good graphics, maybe I'll consider them, over a Macbook White...

Update: Apple Store Portugal is also closed for updates