New iMac, Mac minis expected as early as Tuesday

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    a_hnaua_hnau Posts: 26member
    Given the rumours and the leaks from fairly sensible sources, I think we are believing this is the real thing
  • Reply 102 of 137
    franz71franz71 Posts: 4member
    The bad news: No event means nothing revolutionary, just upgrades?
  • Reply 103 of 137
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_hnau View Post

Given the rumours and the leaks from fairly sensible sources, I think we are believing this is the real thing

But "the real thing" could just be a new Time Capsule and a new Airport Extreme. Not that I'd mind too much -- if the new AE has the features that have been discussed on this site, I'll be buying one very soon. No reason that my iPhone and old iMac should slow down my Apple TV's downloading speeds!
  • Reply 104 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franz71 View Post

The bad news: No event means nothing revolutionary, just upgrades?

Don't think it follows; there's no law that says Apple have to announce new products to the hacks before they put them on sale
  • Reply 105 of 137
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

If this rumour is true, then Apple could have put this update out four months ago, at the same time as the MacBooks. I hope it's not the case that Apple was waiting for the Core i7s, but is skittish about Nvidia's problems with Intel over the newer chips, prompting them to release this less dramatic update now. That would be a bummer.

If they release this update with no major announcement, then maybe it's just somethng for the short term while the Intel-Nvidia stuff gets straightened out (which could take a while, actually).

The other possibility might be linked to the random reports of problems some have had with the new Macbooks. Maybe Apple wanted to be certain they had all potential issues with the new nVidia motherboards fully understood/dispelled/fixed before they went ahead with any new models. No sense compounding possible warranty exposure just to get more new models out there.

edit -- or the backlash against the removal of Firewire in the Macbooks might have caused some last minute redesign work on the new desktops. We'll probably never know if that was a factor.
  • Reply 106 of 137
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Not that I am in the market for some new iMacs or Mac mini, but I do hope for some slightly better specs than what are rumoured in the new ones..
  • Reply 107 of 137
    I think it's just an upgrade (it's about time!). No major news apart from the Nvidia chipsets. I guess i'm skipping this generation and wait for the quad cores on the iMac. I'd love to have a Mac Pro but I can't afford it so I'll get an iMac as soon as I see them with quad cores. For the time being, I'll stick with my desktop Windows PC *sigh* and my unibody Macbook Pro...
  • Reply 108 of 137
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    I'd pmsl if this was site maintenance :P
  • Reply 109 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

I'd pmsl if this was site maintenance :P

Well, it's lunchtime and my PC is busy computing the square root of minus one, so I have nothing better to do
  • Reply 110 of 137
    walneywalney Posts: 70member
  • Reply 111 of 137
    monkeyoemonkeyoe Posts: 45member
    From Macrumours:

MB417LL/A - IMAC 20" 2.66/2GB/320GB/SD/MSE/KB-USA

MB418LL/A - IMAC 24" 2.66/4GB/640/SD/MSE/KB-USA

MB419LL/A - IMAC 24" 2.93/4GB/640/256/SD/MSE/KB-USA

MB420LL/A - IMAC 24" 3.06/4GB/1TB/512/SD/MSE/KB-USA

What do you think the 256 and 512 are for the last two iMac models? Can't be RAM, maybe graphics card RAM? Or possibly.. SSDs?
  • Reply 112 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeyoe View Post

From Macrumours:

What do you think the 256 and 512 are for the last two iMac models? Can't be RAM, maybe graphics card RAM? Or possibly.. SSDs?

most likely graphics RAM since the other two models say "SD" which probably indicates standard integrated graphics.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Or possibly.. SSDs?

In a desktop? I doubt it. All you'd really gain is... um, a lighter wallet.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

From Macrumours:

Likely the top two models will have separate GPUs with their own RAM (256 and 512, respectively).
  • Reply 115 of 137
    monkeyoemonkeyoe Posts: 45member
    Fair enough.. wishful thinking at its best
  • Reply 116 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Likely the top two models will have separate GPUs with their own RAM (256 and 512, respectively).

Yes, I think that's the thing. Just like in the laptops
  • Reply 117 of 137
    SD is SuperDrive.
  • Reply 118 of 137
    apple website is updating "store"!!!

http://store.apple.com/800-908-988/W.../hongkongstore
  • Reply 119 of 137
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.X. View Post

Even More Codes:

Sorry guys. Looks like another Machine too! iMac, Mac Mini and What Else?

MB763LL/A - K10 - USA

MB764LL/A - K30 - GOOD-USA

MB765LL/A - K30 - BETTER-USA

I was going to suggest displays - as they are severly overdue and needed to match the new display connectors... but the 'good' and 'better' terminology doesn't really make sense for displays.
  • Reply 120 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walney View Post

Easy 1i

Actually it's running a home-brew AI system for managing store offers and product configurations for a mobile phone retailer. Perhaps I should try and sell the technology to Apple