Apple quietly intros 2.66GHz MacBook Pro, offers larger SSDs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leppo View Post

Dammit, the 2.53 MBP I just ordered last week is on the truck set for delivery today. Is the upgrade to 2.66 really worth it? Should I try to trade it in? I think there is a restocking fee or somesuch and I'm not sure it's worth the money. On top of that, the one I ordered is a custom build (I put a 7200 rpm hard drive in there). Please advise!

Not even XBench will notice the difference. It's only because the chips Apple get from Intel have gone from 2.53 to 2.66 .

It's the Hard Drive that makes a laptopl fast or slow. 7200 is Ok but next speed quantum leap is the new generation of SSDs.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dewindj View Post

I am glad I caught that update. I ordered my MacBook Pro yesterday, less than 24 hours ago. I was able to call up customer service and cancel the old order and create a new one for me with the new processor.

back in the day, apple would have shipped out your order with the latest hardware anyway, not sure if this is the case anymore....
  • Reply 23 of 44
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    I was hoping for 8 GB maximum memory ceiling as well. Still capped at 6 GB. Oh well.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Is there a swap/restock fee and will they be able to give me a model with a faster HDD?

I don't think so if you DON'T OPEN THE BOX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJMarkyMarc View Post

So not Fair.. my MBP 2.53 is about 4 weeks old now...

If you want the latest then never buy when it's a long way into a refresh cycle unless you really need it. If you really needed it and a new one come out then don't complain. Words about new models have been out there for weeks.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Desktop_Macs
  • Reply 25 of 44
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I was hoping for 8 GB maximum memory ceiling as well. Still capped at 6 GB. Oh well.

Yup, this is my gripe too. Why is the 17" MBP the only one which allows for 8GB? I personally don't want to carry a laptop that big around.

Even if it is extortionately expensive to upgrade to 8GB at this point, I'd at least like to have the option when prices do come down. I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer to get a new 15" MBP...
  • Reply 26 of 44
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Now if only it had a 1680x1050 BTO it'd be THE ultimate laptop for me.

Not that I can afford one but still, 1440x900 is so... Dell Inspiron.

Sure, high def screens are not for everyone, but I'd love 1680x1050, it'd be the same dpi as the MBP 17 inch.

One of my classmates has a 15inch XPS with a 1900x1200 resolution. While that's over the top imo, 1680x1050 would be NICE
  • Reply 27 of 44
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Today, for me, was Christmas.

Jimzip
  • Reply 28 of 44
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Where the hell is 5DMK2 support?

Has been out for about two and half months now:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/D...2_4?sr=hotnews
  • Reply 29 of 44
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Very nice. Lots of good news today.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJMarkyMarc View Post

So not Fair.. my MBP 2.53 is about 4 weeks old now...

So is mine. You wouldn't even notice the difference from .13 GHz, dude. Deep breaths.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    After having started with a 64 GB SSD, and grudgingly buying it with a "is it really worth the money" attitude, I wouldn't get a laptop with anything else now. SSD all the way!

I'm seriously drooling over 256 GB of SSD heaven.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Give me a matte screen on the 15" version and I'd be interested

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

I don't think Apple is going to release that in the near future. I don't understand the difference between the glossy and matte screen. its obvious that the 17' is the only one that will have that type of screen because its the high-end macbook pro.

Uh, you're spouting nonsense. What do you mean you "don't understand the difference between the glossy and matte screen"? One is glossy, one is matte. Seriously, do you not know the difference? Or are you attempting to say you can't *see* the difference?

In any case, your comment about it being obvious that the 17" is the only one that will have that type of screen "because it's the high-end macbook pro" is ridiculous. The MacBook Pro *line* IS the high-end line, not just one model in it. The consumer/casual-use line is the MacBook. Hence the "Pro" in the name MacBook Pro. Sheesh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintox View Post

yes me too and so other xxthousands of frustrated customer who do not upgrade.

As if you couldn't tell from the sig, count me in as well. This is a huge issue for a significant percentage of laptop users. I'm still a few months away from the need to upgrade, but I currently have nothing I can upgrade to. And that's very sad.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    did the prices go up in the UK for the MBP's too?
  • Reply 34 of 44
    im asking this obviously because i dont own this but am planning on getting it

If i have a macbook pro and im using a wireless mouse. can i still use the trackpad to do gestures on????
  • Reply 35 of 44
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talkshowonmute View Post

im asking this obviously because i dont own this but am planning on getting it

If i have a macbook pro and im using a wireless mouse. can i still use the trackpad to do gestures on????

yes

It's a preference in the prefpane.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    chuckbochuckbo Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

After having started with a 64 GB SSD, and grudgingly buying it with a "is it really worth the money" attitude, I wouldn't get a laptop with anything else now. SSD all the way!

I'm seriously drooling over 256 GB of SSD heaven.

I've been interested in a 256GB SSD for a while, waiting to see when it would be available.

Has anyone heard:

1) how much lighter this makes the machine?

2) How much longer the machine will last on battery power?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    When are these knuckleheads at Apple going to restore the matte display option on the 15 inch MacBook Pro? Some of us don't want to carry around the bigger 'book. Frankly, my mentality as of right now is to use the $199 aftermarket option for a matte display instead of buying AppleCare, or alternatively go the Hackintosh route; Apple's refusal to ship a new 15 inch matte book pro is beyond ridiculous.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Now if only it had a 1680x1050 BTO it'd be THE ultimate laptop for me.

Not that I can afford one but still, 1440x900 is so... Dell Inspiron.

Dell's 15-inch Inspiron has 1366x768 resolution. 15-inch Studio is available at 1280x800, 1440x900, and 1920x1200 resolutions.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I was going for the max upgrade in memory until I saw the 8GB on the new iMac, THEN saw the 4-6 week wait!
  • Reply 40 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Dammit, the 2.53 MBP I just ordered last week is on the truck set for delivery today. Is the upgrade to 2.66 really worth it? Should I try to trade it in? I think there is a restocking fee or somesuch and I'm not sure it's worth the money. On top of that, the one I ordered is a custom build (I put a 7200 rpm hard drive in there). Please advise!

DON'T WORRY. Your MacBook Pro is one heck of a beast anyway. Your 7200rpm drive will make much more of a difference than 0.13 ghz in CPU.