Apple's new AirPort, Time Capsule add dual-band networking

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

It should at least have been an upgrade. I have a 1TB Time Capsule and it has only 300MB left, This is spanned through my small business.

wow that's a lot of data. Apple needs to eventually integrate some deduplication into Time Machine. A %20 reduction would save you a couple hundred megabytes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post

I wonder if the AE (and TC) has a new wlan chipset to be able to handle the "dual band" functionality.... if so maybe the performance has gone up too.....

I guess I'll have to wait until "someone" buys one and takes it apart.

My guess is new chip as most of the simultanous routers seem to be newer models which suggest more than just a firmware update IMO.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Guest Network feature allows you to set up a secondary network for friends and visitors with Internet-only access so you don't have to hand out your WiFi password.

Meanwhile, the new combined 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz mode allows your AirPort base stations to simultaneously support iPhones and other 802.11b/g devices operating at 2.4 GHz, while also broadcasting 802.11n wide signals in the 5GHz band to maximize throughput for notebooks and devices such as Apple TV.

Holy shit must buy, this is exactly what I want! And just when my G dlink router has started to give me trouble.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    1TB does seem small, considering TC keeps multiple copies of items. If you have a 1TB drive in your mac that's getting full, TC doesn't have much room for multiple copies of anything...

When I got my airport a while ago, I was a little disappointed with the USB port - you couldn't attach a hub to it, only a single device. SO if you had a printer and HD to share, you were SOL. Curious if they changed this behavior...
  • Reply 24 of 48
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

wow that's a lot of data. Apple needs to eventually integrate some deduplication into Time Machine. A %20 reduction would save you a couple hundred megabytes.

My guess is new chip as most of the simultanous routers seem to be newer models which suggest more than just a firmware update IMO.

time machine only copies changed files, so there really isnt duplication. and then when space gets full, it deletes the oldest data first.

basically, time machine will use as much or as little space as you give it.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    I'm glad I read this thread. I've got an older time capsule and it never occurred to me to set to N-wireless only and then bridge to my old airport extreme to manage any G clients (iPhone). Cool.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandor View Post

time machine only copies changed files, so there really isnt duplication. and then when space gets full, it deletes the oldest data first.

basically, time machine will use as much or as little space as you give it.

I know adding some sort of dedupe in a future major revision would certainly be nice. Kudos of they could add block level dedupe. Time Machine is still backing up a lot of redundant data.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    kesemkesem Posts: 28member
    Will the new dual routers make my iphone surf faster? How about my Apple TV when I use it at the same time as my iphone and imac?
  • Reply 28 of 48
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

No 2TB? Geez, way to disappoint.

Well considering 2TB drives just came out (and Apple's continuing pattern of doubling the cost of storage), you probably wouldn't want an internal. As someone else suggested, add an external drive via USB. Use it for your Time Machine backups, and the internal as a regular NAS drive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

I wonder if the other airport extreme n versions could be updated (even for a fee) to support guest and dual band. I would love to use dual band, all my devices except my wife's and my 3G's are N and I hate running at g just for iPhone's! I just can't justify a $200 upgrade for these features.

For guest access, yes. For dual band, I suspect this is done via hardware and wouldn't be available via firmware upgrade. Either way, Apple (bless them) loves to tie features to hardware, not providing these features via firmware (otherwise my old 4G iPod could've easily taken on some of the features of the newer models, such as searching and volume limiting).

I do hope they give us guest access via firmware however; that would rock!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnDi86 View Post

I so want one of these! But i don't see the point in having an adsl router, which i then have to connect into this in order to use it as a wireless access point! If apple where to add the capabilities into it for it to function as an adsl modem/router combo, i would buy it in a flash!

I believe different DSL providers use differing technology. Integrating an ADSL bridge into an Airport device would limit the number of providers who would be able to utilise the integration. It would be nice though!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post

Yes, follow the below listed link titled : Using the AirPort Admin Utility to create a WDS network with multiple base stations

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107454

Not sure if this would work. Doesn't this article describe wireless bridging? If so, I'm not sure the older device (running in compatibility mode) would be able to connect to a N-only wireless router, right? Unless you really need your wireless range to be extended, I would suggest hardwiring the two Airports together. It might take some configuration to give your secondary router a fixed IP based on its MAC address, and you'd probably have to configure each to hand out a different range of DHCP addresses, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Excellent! But it leads to another question: I want to take advantage of the dual-band features on the new base station. Will my devices know to connect via the new base station and not the old one, or does it not matter? I'm worried that if they somehow go to the older base station, then all my wireless-N devices would be forced to work at wireless-G speeds.

If you hardwire them together, then each base station can have a unique SSID.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

THANK YOU APPLE!

I just bought a new LinkSys router because it had QOS. Turns out it's completely unusable, and it locks up all the time (DHCP just stops working). Guest access is worth more to me than QOS, so that's that.

For those of you that have a Time Capsule, can you hear it? I have an Apple TV and it bothers me that I can hear the drive from across the room (yes, very good ears). Does the TC spin down the drive when it's not being used?

Maury

I can hear the TC from two rooms over (doors open, hallway between them). I almost could use it to announce the hour when it does backups.

Obviously, when the drive isn't cranking, it's nearly silent.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Guys, we just added information about Time Capsule sharing for Mobile Me users:

From Apple but not in the Press Release:

"Access your drive over the Internet.

Say you're traveling and you need a file on your Time Capsule back at home. If you're a MobileMe member using a Mac with Mac OS X Leopard, no problem .* You can now access all the files on your Time Capsule drive over the Internet. Simply register your Time Capsule with your MobileMe account, and its drive appears in the Finder sidebar of your Mac just like any other attached drive. It's like having your own personal file server wherever you go."

Pretty cool.

K
  • Reply 31 of 48
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Excellent! But it leads to another question: I want to take advantage of the dual-band features on the new base station. Will my devices know to connect via the new base station and not the old one, or does it not matter? I'm worried that if they somehow go to the older base station, then all my wireless-N devices would be forced to work at wireless-G speeds.

If it works like the dual band Linksys my brother in law has you end up with two SSIDs.

Oddly, my non-N MBP sees both but can only connect via the 2.4Ghz G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

THANK YOU APPLE!

I just bought a new LinkSys router because it had QOS. Turns out it's completely unusable, and it locks up all the time (DHCP just stops working). Guest access is worth more to me than QOS, so that's that.

For those of you that have a Time Capsule, can you hear it? I have an Apple TV and it bothers me that I can hear the drive from across the room (yes, very good ears). Does the TC spin down the drive when it's not being used?

Maury

Yes, the Linksys kinda sucks doesn't it?

The TC audiably comes on and does spin down the drives. If you can hear your aTV across the room you can certainly hear the TC. Or at least I can hear mine from across the room.

I have the old AE and the old TC bridged wireless because the signal upstairs is so-so and the TC can pull in the AE much better than the MBP can. I opted to stick the TC upstairs rather than in the closet downstairs with the modem because when I want speed I connect via GigE. Even N is notably slower than GigE for large files.

I keep my iTunes and iPhoto files on the TC and use an external HD for backups. I used to use Amazon S3 for online backups as well and I may again.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

1TB does seem small, considering TC keeps multiple copies of items.

Time Machine only keeps multiple copies of files that have changed. If you've changed file A twice in the last 30 days then there are probably just three copies of the file out there: the original and the two mods.

Besides, even with a block-level comparison on average half the file is going to be "dirty". (Think of adding a single character to the top of a text file, which shifts everything after that.)

Not only that, but now you're in a time-for-space tradeoff, as backups are now slower due to the need to compare the new file byte-for-byte against the old file. TANSTAAFL
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Guys, we just added information about Time Capsule sharing for Mobile Me users:

From Apple but not in the Press Release:

"Access your drive over the Internet.

Say you're traveling and you need a file on your Time Capsule back at home. If you're a MobileMe member using a Mac with Mac OS X Leopard, no problem .* You can now access all the files on your Time Capsule drive over the Internet. Simply register your Time Capsule with your MobileMe account, and its drive appears in the Finder sidebar of your Mac just like any other attached drive. It's like having your own personal file server wherever you go."

Pretty cool.

K

Does this work with 1G Time Capsules too? Has anyone checked? That would be rad.

EDIT: TUAW sez yes:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/03/apple...-internet-sha/
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

1TB does seem small, considering TC keeps multiple copies of items. If you have a 1TB drive in your mac that's getting full, TC doesn't have much room for multiple copies of anything...

When I got my airport a while ago, I was a little disappointed with the USB port - you couldn't attach a hub to it, only a single device. SO if you had a printer and HD to share, you were SOL. Curious if they changed this behavior...

You could always hook a Hub up to it, or at least that's what was advertised and I did with mine.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Obviously, when the drive isn't cranking, it's nearly silent.

So does the drive spin down when not in use? Or is it like the ATV, always turning?

Maury
  • Reply 36 of 48
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I havent used an ABS since the snow version years ago. Thinking about getting a new router/access point.

Can you admin the ABS from the WAN side with a web browser (or even Apple's Airport Utility), or do you have to be on the LAN side to admin the router?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

I havent used an ABS since the snow version years ago. Thinking about getting a new router/access point.

Can you admin the ABS from the WAN side with a web browser (or even Apple's Airport Utility), or do you have to be on the LAN side to admin the router?

You can administer the ABS over WAN from the Airport Utility, no web interface.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grimslade View Post

Does this work with 1G Time Capsules too? Has anyone checked? That would be rad.

EDIT: TUAW sez yes:

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/03/apple...-internet-sha/

Cool, does TM also work remotely? It should as already had this working over AFP using the IP address of my TC. But I naturally would like to have IPsec for that. Which AFP does not have.

Any chance of linking a free OpenDNS account to a TC?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    fazekasfazekas Posts: 9member
    Read about AirPort Utility 5.4.1 and AirPort firmware 7.4.1 updates, only see the AirPort Utility 5.4.1 available.

With these updates, does anyone know if Airport Extreme be able to back up with Time Machine, with an external USB hard drive attached to the Airport Extreme?
  • Reply 40 of 48
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    The new AirPort Extreme dual broadcast feature is intriguing, and I'm very likely to "re-stocking fee" my three day old AE to get this one, however...

Is 5 GHz really a good band to be on, even if fast "n" devices do have it to themselves?

When I got my AE, I made some fairly extensive tests to determine where I could position it in my house and whether it was worth having two wifi routers running, one for fast "n" devices, one for slow "g" devices.

With the AE was located downstairs, there were locations upstairs where a MacBook simply couldn't log on to the 5 GHz network. The signal was too weak, probably because of some obstruction. Yet, with the same positioning, in the same MacBook location, there was no problem with 2.4 GHz.

5 GHz, having shorter wavelengths, does not penetrate as well. Even if/when I get the new AE, I think I'm still going to want to run "n" over the 2.4 GHz band.

And then there doesn't seem much advantage to the new AE. It's a pity the two radios can't somehow both broadcast 2.4 GHz, just as having two wifi routers would.