AirPort Extreme, Time Capsule gain MobileMe sharing support

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 44
    I just bought the 500gb version like 10 days ago. Can I exchange for the new one?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Okay, so no one has replied with what the heck this thing actually is, but the article looks a little clearer now in that we seem to be talking only about sharing the Time Capsule drive over the Internet.



    What I don't get however, is why this is even interesting or such a big deal?



    The Time Capsule drive is almost always going to contain the Time Machine backup only and the majority of users will use the *single* USB port for the printer. Given that membership in MobileMe already gives you an iDisk which can also be mounted in the sidebar and also accessed from anywhere in the world, why should I care about having access to my backups over the Internet?



    Sure I can connect a *larger* drive than the iDisk, but how much data are you going to be moving over an encrypted tunnel on the Internet anyway? It's not like this would be a good solution for movie files or anything. It seems almost certain that this will be slower as well.



    This is far from a "useless" idea, but it's hardly something that deserves the fanfare it's getting from some quarters this afternoon IMO. A few folks that have a giant USB HD attached to their Time Capsule *might* be able to get access to those files (very slowly) over the Internet? I am so under-whelmed. What am I missing?
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Okay, so no one has replied with what the heck this thing actually is, but the article looks a little clearer now in that we seem to be talking only about sharing the Time Capsule drive over the Internet.



    What I don't get however, is why this is even interesting or such a big deal?



    The Time Capsule drive is almost always going to contain the Time Machine backup only and the majority of users will use the *single* USB port for the printer. Given that membership in MobileMe already gives you an iDisk which can also be mounted in the sidebar and also accessed from anywhere in the world, why should I care about having access to my backups over the Internet?



    Sure I can connect a *larger* drive than the iDisk, but how much data are you going to be moving over an encrypted tunnel on the Internet anyway? It's not like this would be a good solution for movie files or anything. It seems almost certain that this will be slower as well.



    This is far from a "useless" idea, but it's hardly something that deserves the fanfare it's getting from some quarters this afternoon IMO. A few folks that have a giant USB HD attached to their Time Capsule *might* be able to get access to those files (very slowly) over the Internet? I am so under-whelmed. What am I missing?





    Well, I guess as any Mac user, we want to see Apple's solution to HP's Home Media Server.



    Something that we could do beside backing up our Mac's, being able to access remotely to our backup files. And at the same time, access our Music, Movies and Picture.



    So that's what all the discussion is about, in my opinion.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Okay, so no one has replied with what the heck this thing actually is, but the article looks a little clearer now in that we seem to be talking only about sharing the Time Capsule drive over the Internet.



    What I don't get however, is why this is even interesting or such a big deal?



    The Time Capsule drive is almost always going to contain the Time Machine backup only and the majority of users will use the *single* USB port for the printer. Given that membership in MobileMe already gives you an iDisk which can also be mounted in the sidebar and also accessed from anywhere in the world, why should I care about having access to my backups over the Internet?



    Sure I can connect a *larger* drive than the iDisk, but how much data are you going to be moving over an encrypted tunnel on the Internet anyway? It's not like this would be a good solution for movie files or anything. It seems almost certain that this will be slower as well.



    This is far from a "useless" idea, but it's hardly something that deserves the fanfare it's getting from some quarters this afternoon IMO. A few folks that have a giant USB HD attached to their Time Capsule *might* be able to get access to those files (very slowly) over the Internet? I am so under-whelmed. What am I missing?



    First, I think you're exaggerating the fanfare. This was barely even announced by Apple, and has gotten only a few mentions among all the other announcements today.



    Second, I think you're missing the fact that there's a huge difference between accessing all of your files and accessing only those files that you've specifically put on iDisk. Lots of people have multiple machines at work and at home, or take their laptops with them but don't keep their desktops on and accessible at all times. Access to all your files from anywhere is a definite step up in convenience for people who are constantly swapping files around between work and home machines and laptops.



    And there's also the obvious eventual iPhone integration...
  • Reply 25 of 44
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Can you connect something like this: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11118 to a time capsule or airport extreme and be able to access the contents using the new feature in mobileme?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post


    ... I think you're missing the fact that there's a huge difference between accessing all of your files and accessing only those files that you've specifically put on iDisk. ... Access to all your files from anywhere ...



    How is access to your Time Machine or a USB drive connected to it, "access to all your files"?



    Seems the same as iDisk to me.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    So could this mean you could stream from your home iTunes to your iPhone? (assuming an app was produced)



    The iPhone App and Mac client by Simplify have been providing this functionality since the Summer of '08



    It was free then, but several updates later, costs just a few dollars today.



    Works Perfectly!!!



    Nothing like having full access to my 60GB's of music, on my 16GB iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    How is access to your Time Machine or a USB drive connected to it, "access to all your files"?



    Seems the same as iDisk to me.





    On an attached Hard Drive, one could access more than just 20GB of files.



    Limited only by the size of the hard drive. Can anyone say "Terabytes Of Files"
  • Reply 29 of 44
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post


    The iPhone App and Mac client by Simplify have been providing this functionality since the Summer of '08



    It was free then, but several updates later, costs just a few dollars today.



    Works Perfectly!!!



    Nothing like having full access to my 60GB's of music, on my 16GB iPhone.



    I downloaded Simplify for free when it was first introduced, but hasn't been using it frequently because I think you have to keep your Mac at home awake all the time, is that true? Does it work even when you put your Mac to sleep?
  • Reply 30 of 44
    this does make me chuckle, just a little. A great idea, although no different to solutions from Buffalo Linkstation etc.



    What makes me laugh the most though is that Apple has never managed to successfully implement Back to my Mac, and now they expect to believe this works.



    Whilst there are people out there who have got BTMM working, I have at least 20 friends who use Mac's who can not.



    I think they need to be working on getting BTMM working first, then introducing a product of this type.



    I can already see the Apple forums filling up with frustrated individuals who can't get this working on their new HD... LOL
  • Reply 31 of 44
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    Okay, so no one has replied with what the heck this thing actually is, but the article looks a little clearer now in that we seem to be talking only about sharing the Time Capsule drive over the Internet.



    What I don't get however, is why this is even interesting or such a big deal?



    The Time Capsule drive is almost always going to contain the Time Machine backup only and the majority of users will use the *single* USB port for the printer. Given that membership in MobileMe already gives you an iDisk which can also be mounted in the sidebar and also accessed from anywhere in the world, why should I care about having access to my backups over the Internet?



    Sure I can connect a *larger* drive than the iDisk, but how much data are you going to be moving over an encrypted tunnel on the Internet anyway? It's not like this would be a good solution for movie files or anything. It seems almost certain that this will be slower as well.



    This is far from a "useless" idea, but it's hardly something that deserves the fanfare it's getting from some quarters this afternoon IMO. A few folks that have a giant USB HD attached to their Time Capsule *might* be able to get access to those files (very slowly) over the Internet? I am so under-whelmed. What am I missing?



    Well, I don't think there's been much fanfare -- AI is the first place I've read about this. As an owner of a last gen AEBS I'm very happy with this update. I have my large music collection stored on a 1TB disc connected to me Airport (via a US?B hub -- so the *single* USB port isn't an issue -- I have another disc connected that holds my TM backup). It will be great to be able to access my full iTunes collection remotely (hopefully the disc will mount with the same name, so iTunes doesn't have any issues).



    The update will be free, and I'm all for something for nothing!
  • Reply 32 of 44
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post


    As an owner of a last gen AEBS I'm very happy with this update. I have my large music collection stored on a 1TB disc connected to me Airport (via a US?B hub -- so the *single* USB port isn't an issue -- I have another disc connected that holds my TM backup)



    I was just going to ask - with this new AEBS can I do Time Machine backups just like with the Time Capsule? That is, I don't wan't to have to run a hack to run Time Machine backups over any network drive - I'm hoping that the regular AEBS finally supports AFP instead of SMB, just like the Time Capsule. It's annoying because Apple doesn't specify it in the tech specs, nor do they tout it as a feature - obviously trying to drive you to a time machine.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    quake97quake97 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post


    I was just going to ask - with this new AEBS can I do Time Machine backups just like with the Time Capsule? That is, I don't wan't to have to run a hack to run Time Machine backups over any network drive - I'm hoping that the regular AEBS finally supports AFP instead of SMB, just like the Time Capsule. It's annoying because Apple doesn't specify it in the tech specs, nor do they tout it as a feature - obviously trying to drive you to a time machine.



    What hack are you talking about? I have a 500GB drive connected to my AE and Time Machines works just fine. I didn't have to hack anything.



    Joe
  • Reply 34 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,752member
    RE previous model AE...



    Here is a good mystery! Since Christmas day my wife's MacBook has happily run lid closed connected to the LCD Monitor. This has been a delightful set up as the dock auto swaps to the large screen and the MacBook stays stone cold. The MacBook uses an Airport Extreme 'previous to yesterday' model .11n / 5 GHz.



    About two or three weeks ago she noticed a lot of network drop outs and i spent almost a day trouble shooting to no avail. The problem got worse to the point today the MacBook failed to even see the AE. It managed to see it after several retries but failed to get past WEP2 which it asked for even though Keychain has that password.



    To cut a long story short I discovered if the MacBook ran lid open and I manually set the dock to the LCD with Monitor Prefs, the AE was seen immediately and full speed was restored. Closing the lid once connection was established and connection was maintained but speed dropped to the KB/s range from the 12 Mb/s range (We have FiOS 20Mb/s)..



    So for now at least she is back in action only now with the lid open. So why did it work for almost two months and not now? I can only see two possibilities, a hardware fault has developed or an update has messed with something.



    Any others seen this? If this seems a little off topic I wanted to know if this happened on new AE when someone with a MacBook and LCD gets one
  • Reply 35 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quake97 View Post


    What hack are you talking about? I have a 500GB drive connected to my AE and Time Machines works just fine. I didn't have to hack anything.



    Joe



    This illustrates a problem with Google, love it as i do. There were loads of such posts on how to get it working in the very early release. I wish Google had a prominent date associated with all posts. This chap probably found these and didn't realize they were totally out of date posts. Just a guess but quite likely.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Okay, I ran the updates, now how do I turn the file sharing on? I have a Drobo connected to my AE but I see nothing in MobilMe that allows me to "register" the drive.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post


    Okay, I ran the updates, now how do I turn the file sharing on? I have a Drobo connected to my AE but I see nothing in MobilMe that allows me to "register" the drive.



    I see no changes after update either but then I have not seen a firmware update for my AE yet either, perhaps that is still to come?
  • Reply 38 of 44
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post


    How is access to your Time Machine or a USB drive connected to it, "access to all your files"?



    Seems the same as iDisk to me.



    Eh? They're different because "all of your files" are backed up on Time Machine, but not on iDisk.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post


    I downloaded Simplify for free when it was first introduced, but hasn't been using it frequently because I think you have to keep your Mac at home awake all the time, is that true? Does it work even when you put your Mac to sleep?



    I agree. I have all my tunes on my TC and access it over wifi at home on multiple macs.



    Simplify is great for streaming to my iphone if I leave my mac at home and turned on (which in practice I never do). My TC however, is always on.



    It sounds like with this solution I get the same capabilities of Simplify (and more) but without having to run an application and it can also be accessed by my work mac or my laptop or any mac I use while I'm out and about. Sounds like a Simplify killer to me.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    alias789alias789 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post


    So could this mean you could stream from your home iTunes to your iPhone? (assuming an app was produced)



    Um, you can already do this. You need to get Simplfy Media.
Sign In or Register to comment.