See this!!! Palm+Be+Apple =

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I hope not. I absolutely hate Palms. Too few features, and definately not mac like.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Read carefully. This is not a rumor or fact just conjecture by the writer on what could happen. Also, if iWalk is true, it uses Apple's own propetary new OS, based on OS X so there's no need.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    wheewhee Posts: 46member
    Perhaps, but brand name is paramount for some people (look at the Guillemot/Hercules thing). I can see Apple-designed PDAs with the Palm logo on them being somewhat successful, assuming they're not overly expensive. Even a modified BeIA would probably work well with whatever digital hub idea being thrown around.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The article makes some bold assumptions:

[quote]More important, the acquisition of Palm would give Apple access to some of its top former talent -- people like David Nagel and Jean-Louis Gasse, who played key roles at some of the pivotal moments in Apple's history. If Apple is going to hold its own through what looks like another trying year, it'll need to rely on as much of its trademark ingenuity as it can muster. After all, isn't that what it's all about? <hr></blockquote>

Does the author not even know that Jean-Louis Gasse stepped down from the company?

<a href="http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8327565.html?tag=owv"; target="_blank">http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-8327565.html?tag=owv</a>;
  • Reply 5 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Doesnt that tax thing still apply until like next june?

I mean I read somewhere that US Robotics (3Com) made a clause in the spin off of palm that they could be bought out if the company buying them out was willing to pay the taxes on Palm? This clasue expires next june no?

If so, if ANYONE is planning on buying Palm+Be, it would be after that.

-Paul
  • Reply 6 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Weird, I didn't read that in the paper today.

I did read an article about Gasse stepping down from Be. (And Be was HQed in Menlo Park: my old stomping ground)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    Lame Author, lame story. Never ging to happen.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Merlion:

<strong>Lame Author, lame story. Never ging to happen. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Lame comment.

I agree that it may not happen as well, but the author presents some interesting arguments as to why it could happen. That's called "thought process," or "logical thinking." Try it once in a while. You may discover something.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    This from a guy named shithead.....

interesting bits, with the usual inane SdC comments:

[quote]We know the interest is there. Lest we forget, Jobs did try to buy Palm's business once, in 1998 -- but 3Com, the handheld maker's then-parent, turned him away.<hr></blockquote>

Steve's bah-humbugging to the contrary, handhelds are the future. Steve never said he didn't want to make a ahandheld device, he said he didn't want to make the current, low-function PDA. While Palm units themselves are not what he had in mind, Palm's experience in handhelds and market dominance make a good starting point, a whole let better than from scratch. If anyone could reinvent Palm into the next generation of handhelds, it el Steve-o.

[quote]With its shares now trading at around $4.00 each, a successful takeover bid could snap the company up for peanuts.<hr></blockquote>

Apple's got the money. Palm has the marketshare.

[quote]Palm isn't a bad company. It could just use a helping hand. Analysts complain that it's seemed directionless lately, lacking a clear strategy to penetrate either the mobile-connectivity or enterprise markets.<hr></blockquote>

No one does the vision thing like Steve Jobs and Apple.

[quote]And though the Palm OS sports arguably the most elegant interface of any handheld, its system internals have evolved little since the earliest models.....Sound familiar?......At that time [early '90s], Apple's Power Mac and Performa desktop-product lines were a tangle of confusing and redundant models, and its management team waffled on promises of modernized system software. Meanwhile, the Mac OS stagnated, caught in a time warp that was rapidly leaving it in Windows 95's dust.<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm. just like PalmOS vs. WinCE (or whatever MS is calling it these days). Then OS X gets them back in the game, no? Why not do the same for Palm?

[quote]The two companies also share an unusual sort of schizophrenia, torn between their software and hardware manufacturing halves.<hr></blockquote>

Again, eerily familiar.

[quote]In the end, the BeOS desktop never really found a niche, nor did BeIA, Gassée's retooled version aimed at digital appliances. That is, not until its acquisition by Palm.<hr></blockquote>

Again, why start from scratch, when BeIA is already there for the taking for mere pennies? And who has more experience than Steve and Co. in tegrating OS'es to build new ones (hello, NEXT + Mach + MacOS = OS X?) Apple would know how to get the best aspects of Palm and BeIA (and OS X) to form a new OS for the next generation of handhelds.

I think it's good idea, but it's a bet the company idea. And Apple has been notoriously conservative as of late, choosing to extend carefully, rather than extravagently.

Bigger than the rumor sites? This would certainly qualify.

Anyone got Nagel's travel plans for early next week? Because I think we just might see him on stage at MWExpo.....

SdC
  • Reply 10 of 11
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    The Chronicle published what amounts to an AI post.

"As is customary whenever a new Apple announcement approaches, speculation abounds. While I'm in no better position than any of the other fortune-tellers to tell you whether this year's MacWorld will bring flat-screen iMacs, improved system software or an expanded line of iPods, I can tell you what I'd like to see."

'Nuff Said. This guy has no clue what's going on anymore than we do.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>This from a guy named shithead.....

interesting bits, with the usual inane SdC comments:

Again, why start from scratch, when BeIA is already there for the taking for mere pennies? And who has more experience than Steve and Co. in tegrating OS'es to build new ones (hello, NEXT + Mach + MacOS = OS X?) Apple would know how to get the best aspects of Palm and BeIA (and OS X) to form a new OS for the next generation of handhelds.

I think it's good idea, but it's a bet the company idea. And Apple has been notoriously conservative as of late, choosing to extend carefully, rather than extravagently.

Bigger than the rumor sites? This would certainly qualify.

Anyone got Nagel's travel plans for early next week? Because I think we just might see him on stage at MWExpo.....

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

you make a lot of good points. BTW, PALM traded about 18 Million shares today, almost twice the amount of AAPL which itself was busy. Something is happening......we'll see, won't we.....