New QuickTime Player, Cocoa Desktop in latest Snow Leopard beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azaas View Post

Guys is it possible for someone to explain to me what is the "Put Back" thing in Finder? Sorry but it has not been that long since i switched to Apple as my primary system so if this is common knowledge pardon my ignorance thx in advance

Trash will be emptied by single command, but everything in it will be put back to its original location instead of being deleted forever.

There will be option "Put back Securely". It will repeat that operation 7 times
  • Reply 22 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

I still think Apple is keeping a secret from us in relation to 10.6

Leopard was quite buggy up until the end and they changed a lot of things, at least visually, right before going to Glad Master so they clearly had a lot of separate internal builds going on. I would imagine that it's the same with this version.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:

Guys is it possible for someone to explain to me what is the "Put Back" thing in Finder? Sorry but it has not been that long since i switched to Apple as my primary system so if this is common knowledge pardon my ignorance thx in advance

OK...well it is very simple to put...like most names of things in OS X...

put back means put something back where it was...first thing it will give you the option (im assuming...not positive) to return an item in the Trash to where it came from...and it could be a universal option to put something back to where it was before you moved it

now...does any of the actual SL developers want to chime in on this feel free

hope that makes you understand what "Put Back" means for Snow Leopard

BTW...thanks for switching...Mac is where its at!...AMEN
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I promise, you will miss that. We will have to launch iMovie to catenate two small clips instead of just dragging-dropping them one onto another. That will be more painful, than restyled safari tabs...

You make an excellent point with an excellent example. That would be PITA.

Quote:

There will be option "Put back Securely". It will repeat that operation 7 times

• Reply 25 of 70
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Supposably so.

I think you will find the word is actually 'supposedly'.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

Same as Windows Recycle Bin's Restore feature. I tend to find that this omission in OS X is one of the irksome things for switchers.

• Reply 27 of 70
    Good to see progress here. I think SL is shaping up to be a good release. On MR there is mention of the 'known issues' and to be honest I expected the list to be longer, although there is a few pretty big ones like 'No hibernation on machines with NVidia graphics'. Hmmmm!

Would also love to see some pics, especially of contextual menus and Quicktime X - although we are going to have to have someone willing to have a loose grasp of what an NDA is...
  • Reply 28 of 70
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Any info on the state of OpenCL and Grand Central? These are the two main things that intrigue me, yet no mention has been made of them for some time. Are they likely candidates for slippage?

No. OpenCL has been ratified with amazing speed.

The specification has been published and read if you're into that thing

Grand Central Dispatch resides at such a low level it's not something Apple can slip. It has to work in conjunction with the kernel for management of tasks and of course dispatching tasks to the right compute resource. You don't slip features like this you delay the OS until it works right.

Quicktime X should be nice. Better GPU acceleration and it should be fairly lightweight as it's a playback only affair. Legacy Quicktime will still be there but I rather like the idea of apps using QTX when they need video playback without the resource hit of loading components designed to record.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You make an excellent point with an excellent example. That would be PITA.

glad to catch it right. gonna go home now. hope to see you next time...
  • Reply 30 of 70
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

That's unpossible.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    2 things I would like:

1.) Full screen monitor mode when recording with a remote digital camera. iMovie is the only way for this?

2.) Too many codecs, so little time. Less codecs. How many vesions of the same movie do I need to create? Presently one ATV does not work in iPhone but does the other way around. Email's too small- etc, etc.

Quicktime pro is great for maniputating a quicktime file but the recording side is not. At this point it's not the worth the extra charge as iMovie can handle the same.

There just seems to be too many overlapping functions- needs to be simplified.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Build 10A286 arrives about four weeks after Apple equipped its developers with build 10A261. Around that time it was reported that Snow Leopard would include Core Location and Multi-Touch frameworks for third-party developers, and also deliver more intuitive printer driver delivery.

Interesting that they include the Multi-Touch framework. This could be an indication of plans of a not so distant introduction of a touch based tablet running fill OS X.

Why else include this framework?

Best,

Daniel

PS. I know that this is old news.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Same as Windows Recycle Bin's Restore feature. I tend to find that this omission in OS X is one of the irksome things for switchers.

I was going to say the same thing. The fact that OS X hasn't provided some kind of function akin to the Restore option in Windows is a little strange.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

redesigned QT "focused on the playback" mean "FrontRow"

That's one interface to QuickTime, but no I'm sure they mean the QuickTime client itself.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Interesting that they include the Multi-Touch framework. This could be an indication of plans and not so distant introduction of a touch based tablet running fill OS X.

For the multi-touch track pads supposedly. Though yeah, you can bet on some form of tablet down the pike.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Interesting that they include the Multi-Touch framework. This could be an indication of plans and not so distant introduction of a touch based tablet running fill OS X.

You're Logitech. You want to make a keyboard with a built in multi -touch trackpad.

You make music devices. You wan't midi control on a touchable pad.

You're Wacom..you want touch support for your Cintiq tablets.

Really the sky's the limit. Tablets and more can benefit from multi touch being built right in to the OS.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antiorario View Post

It's "predominantly," not "predominately."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Supposably so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

That's unpossible.

How unperfect your grammars are! Go get yourselfs educated.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

That's unpossible.

And that sir, is impassable!
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:

I hope it's something like what is mentioned in the article below. I think it's he natural progression of touchscreens, though many will disagree with me (some simply because I am linking to a RDM article).
  • Reply 40 of 70
    So, basically, they're re-implementing the Finder in Cocoa piecemeal.

The Finder includes several parts of the OS:

1) Finder window

2) Dock ?

3) Desktop

4) Info window

5) Contextual menu

What other components are considered part of the "Finder"? It seems quite a large part of the OS to leave implemented in the ancient Carbon framework for so long.