Quote:

Originally Posted by antiorario

It's "predominantly," not "predominately."

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman

Supposably so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allblue

I think you will find the word is actually 'supposedly'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickaha

That's unpossible.

How unperfect your grammars are! Go get yourselfs educated.

Monitor, in the future, could you please warn grammar/spelling queens, like others obsessed with politics, that there are blogs for their obsession and that they are just as annoying at clogging up a tech website?
  • Reply 42 of 70
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Monitor, in the future, could you please warn grammar/spelling queens, like others obsessed with politics, that there are blogs for their obsession and that they are just as annoying at clogging up a tech website?

Yeah! Why should a prominent news site be expected to deal with vagaries like grammar?
  • Reply 43 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cavallo View Post

Yeah! Why should a prominent news site be expected to deal with vagaries like grammar?

Or Valkyries.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Completely uncorrect. As usually.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I was going to say the same thing. The fact that OS X hasn't provided some kind of function akin to the Restore option in Windows is a little strange.

It's annoying to long-time Mac users as well, since the original Mac had this, going back to at least System 7 in 1991. It was simply not carried forward to MacOS X.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Because it's not that of which you speak.

"AppleInsider is a discussion forum about Apple, software, and the tech industry"

Grammar is not listed, reading correctly is.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    cavallocavallo Posts: 57member
    Quote:

Grammar is not listed, reading correctly is.

So suddenly, after centuries of the printed word, the burden is no longer on the writer to do his job - it's on the reader to interpret bad writing? I think you need to read a book.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

So suddenly, after centuries of the printed word, the burden is no longer on the writer to do his job - it's on the reader to interpret bad writing? I think you need to read a book.

Teckstud does have a point. What posters tend to point out (and not just the article but also replies to the article) are things that are impossible to misunderstand. Every now and then something doesn't read well, resulting in a correction and an apology to the forum posters. That is bound to happen in the fast passed tech environment.

There have been plenty of words that were misspelled or have been used incorrectly throughout the history of writing that subsequently became the norm due to the erratum. From om etymology to neurolinguistics linguistics is a passionate hobby of mine, but I don't see a need to be pedantic about such things on a tech-focused forum when the meaning is well understood. However, I'm more than willing to enter a conversation on it if given the chance despite how discussing the value of correct spelling, the proper placement of an apostrophe after a a proper noun ending in 's' and the pluralization of a company varies between the US and UK detracts from the thread.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I promise, you will miss that. We will have to launch iMovie to catenate two small clips instead of just dragging-dropping them one onto another

Totally agree - I love the simplicity of QTpro. As previous rumors suggested I would love to see the pro features be part of the standard feature set. QT pro revenue must be insignificant (?).

As for the Safari Tabs, I have no issue but there is an app that may solve your woes http://www.swoon.net/site/software.html (untested by me)
  • Reply 50 of 70
    uxvib44uxvib44 Posts: 1member
    Is anyone knows here if Apple is seeding via Software Update or a completely new disc.

It may indicate if Apple have done a lot of updates (beyond the graphical interface)

Soooo ?
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uxvib44 View Post

Is anyone knows here if Apple is seeding via Software Update or a completely new disc.

It may indicate if Apple have done a lot of updates (beyond the graphical interface)

Soooo ?

New DMGs to DL.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

So, basically, they're re-implementing the Finder in Cocoa piecemeal.

The Finder includes several parts of the OS:

1) Finder window

2) Dock ?

3) Desktop

4) Info window

5) Contextual menu

What other components are considered part of the "Finder"? It seems quite a large part of the OS to leave implemented in the ancient Carbon framework for so long.

The Finder is the Finder is the ColumnView/ListView/IconViewer.

It's not the Dock.app, It's not the Info Inspector. It's not the Contextual Menu System.

They are all separate via Cocoa and work together ala Bindings and Services.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Teckstud does have a point. What posters tend to point out (and not just the article but also replies to the article) are things that are impossible to misunderstand. Every now and then something doesn't read well, resulting in a correction and an apology to the forum posters. That is bound to happen in the fast passed tech environment.

There have been plenty of words that were misspelled or have been used incorrectly throughout the history of writing that subsequently became the norm due to the erratum. From om etymology to neurolinguistics linguistics is a passionate hobby of mine, but I don't see a need to be pedantic about such things on a tech-focused forum when the meaning is well understood. However, I'm more than willing to enter a conversation on it if given the chance despite how discussing the value of correct spelling, the proper placement of an apostrophe after a a proper noun ending in 's' and the pluralization of a company varies between the US and UK detracts from the thread.

I disagree. Well, in part, anyway. I very rarely disagree with you so I had to comment! The only reason Teckstud picked on this issue was because he could. The grammatical digression in this thread was but for light relief, so for him to call on the moderator to issue warnings was... well... par for the course, I guess. As for the fairly frequent political and grammatical digressions, these generally add color and show spirit. The grammatical ones are generally friendly and if anything - interesting. If somebody doesn't find a discussion on the pluralization of a company interesting, they can just ignore it. It will go away. The political threads usually degenerate pretty quickly at which point they are probably just better left to die.

I do agree with you (and Teckstud) that people often purposefully misunderstand. But this is a tech forum so what do you (we) expect? A bunch of opinionated geeky types trying to agree on anything...? Not very likely.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The grammatical digression in this thread was but for light relief... As for the fairly frequent political and grammatical digressions, these generally add color and show spirit. The grammatical ones are generally friendly and if anything - interesting.

I agree 100%. I find the occasional "grammar police" comments to be fine. They pass by quiclky and are sometimes educational and other times humorous. I laughed out loud at "Supposably" and again at the (apparently ernest) correction soon after.

These digressions work best when they are light and quick. Once they are taken seriously, debated, discussed in principle, and such, they start to bog down and clog the thread.

That makes this post, part of the problem, of course, but it is hard not to respond...
  • Reply 55 of 70
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean "fast-passed tech environment" (compound modifier hyphenation) and "misspelt."
  • Reply 56 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

You mean "fast-passed tech environment" (compound modifier hyphenation) and "misspelt."

I'm sure you can find plenty more than that. If I ever include such a sentence in an acedemic paper or published literary work I give you my wore I will be sure to proofread it more thoughoutly.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Not to worry. Text is "getting smarter" (does that mean we're all getting dumber?) in Snow Leopard. Nobody will ever be able to make mistakes...ever...
  • Reply 58 of 70
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I this "new" Quicktime 64bit? How will that effect Final Cut and other QT dependent apps?
  • Reply 59 of 70
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Exactly what grade of schooling introduces this 'compound modifier hyphenation' rule in the US?

I was schooled to the final year in Australia, which incidentally, is British English. However, I don't recall being taught this. At least not in the way presented here. I vaguely recall the usage of hyphens to be prefix based. ie: 'anti-climax', 'pre-production', 'co-operative' etc.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Exactly what grade of schooling introduces this 'compound modifier hyphenation' rule in the US?

I was schooled to the final year in Australia, which incidentally, is British English. However, I don't recall being taught this. At least not in the way presented here. I vaguely recall the usage of hyphens to be prefix based. ie: 'anti-climax', 'pre-production', 'co-operative' etc.

The terms states aren't part of colloquial speak, but I'm sure you would have started learning compound modifers in primary school. It's really just a fancy term for when to add a hypen. The simple answer is to adjust association to make your meaning more clear. For example, oxygen free radical can be ambiguous, but oxygen-free radical and oxygen free-radical change the meaning (example from Internet).

I find it interesting how words are first seperated by a space, then hypenated and finally made one. This doesn't happen with every compound modifer, as some just look better hypenated, but it isn't uncommon in our rich English lexicon. I'm too tired to look for examples right now.