Performance of Jaguar OpenGL(?)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, I'm now pretty fed up with "it's 10% faster" "gained up to 20 fps under blabla circumstances" "feels better" and etc. Is there anybody out there that can benchmark some OpenGL apps/games like Quake3: Arena with Jaguar and compare them to 10.1 on the same hardware?

Since I'm a hardcore Q3 player, I'd be very interested in some comments on Q3 gameplay and feel with Jaguar.

Can anybody help me, please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I would rather see benchmarks of games that don't already run fast, such as WarCraft III or Baldur's Gate II in Open GL.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I'd rather see all, but even Q3 can't run fast enough (not on old hardware like 8MB Rage128 iMacs). Anyways, together with the introduction of 10.1.3 an OpenGL bug that makes the sensitivity slow down together with fps when passing an unknown threshold, which renders maps in Q3 like q3tourney4 unplayable even though my mac does 117 fps in timedemo. very, very annoying, and equally unneccesary. I hope this is fixed at least

Still waiting
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'd like to see them benchmark something brand new on both OS's with brand new top of the line hardware. Something like Unreal Tournament 2003 or Unreal II. Both of those games are nearing completion and would greatly show on a cutting edge system with a cutting edge game just how much performance can be squeezed out of Jaguar.

I plan to buy Jaguar regardless, but it never hurts to have more to brag about.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Yeah, Q3 benchmarks are good too, but it seems to run faster in X than in 9 anyway, while BGII suffers from awful OGL performance due to an OGL bug in OS X, and WC 3 is noticeably slower in X compared to 9, so I'd really like to see if those lagging games will catch up with Jaguar. (I have heard that WC 3 is much better in Jaguar on another board)

Q3 did develop a slow mouse problem on the opening menu screen I noticed, but it seems to run good still, except for the fog map. Tourney 4 or 5 I think it is. That one was unplayable.

I think the 8MB video card is the limitation though, and while optimized software will run faster on your processor, Jaguar won't make your video card any faster and I don't know if ATi's drivers can or will improve that much for a card like that.

My PowerBook has the same 8MB card though, and I find that if you do enough tweaking, Q3 will run quite well, all things considered.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You might be interested in this bit of news from Architosh:

<a href="http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-07/2002b-0731-jaq-atnvidia.phtml"; target="_blank">http://www.architosh.com/news/2002-07/2002b-0731-jaq-atnvidia.phtml</a>;

Granted, it's not about raw throughput, but it is about advanced GPU features that haven't been available to us yet.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Yep. I'm not at all interested in additional speed, but Jaguar exposes all of the following GL extensions:

GL_APPLE_client_storage

GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422

GL_APPLE_texture_range

GL_APPLE_fence

GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range

GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object

GL_APPLE_element_array

GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators

GL_ARB_imaging

GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar

GL_ARB_point_parameters

GL_ARB_vertex_program

GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat

GL_ARB_depth_texture

GL_ARB_shadow

GL_EXT_texture_env_add

GL_EXT_fog_coord

GL_EXT_draw_range_elements

GL_EXT_stencil_wrap

GL_EXT_blend_func_separate

GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap

GL_SGIS_texture_lod

GL_ATI_point_cull_mode

GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once

GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader

GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate

GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax

GL_NV_point_sprite

GL_NV_register_combiners2

GL_NV_fog_distance

GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint

GL_NV_texture_shader

GL_NV_texture_shader2

GL_NV_texture_shader3

GL_NV_depth_clamp
  • Reply 7 of 9
    About those GL extensions... yeah, Jaguar uses them without any noticeable speed hit. For example, in 4x4 Evo 2 on Puma, the Fog option did nothing. In Jaguar, it drops in a thick fog as it should.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    This is all great conversation, but has anyone done any benchmarks between 10.1.5 and 10.2 (6C106) ?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    *bump*

I'm still interested, and others as well!

Come on!!