Two possible dates for Apple's WWDC 2009 emerge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Event bookings for the San Francisco Moscone Center indicate that Apple may be planning its annual Worldwide Developer Conference in either mid-May or early June.

Companies book the Moscone Center venue many months in advance, with Sun's Java One, Cisco Live!, Linux World, Oracle OpenWorld, and other events already planned for just about every free week through the end of the year.

Before reports hit the web, tipsters informed AppleInsider last week that May 16-22 was reserved for a convention only listed as a "corporate meeting" in the events schedule at Moscone Center, the convention center that has hosted WWDC, as well as the winter Macworld Expo, for many years. Apple has hid WWDC behind that same anonymous listing in years past.

When contacted about the matter by telephone last week, representatives for the Moscone Center unsurprisingly refused to provide further details on the booking, claiming they had "no further information" on who the corporate client was. With well under three months separating that date -- the approximate lead time between Apple's announcement of past WWDC events and their actual start date -- the booking carried with it a significant amount of doubt.

However, the Baltimore Sun points out today that a second "corporate meeting" was added to the convention center's calendar this week for June 6-12, which seems more likely for the annual developers' gathering. Both listings -- the one in May and the one in June -- are for Moscone West, where Apple has historically held the event.

It should be noted that while typically held in June, the 2006 WWDC was scheduled for August to accommodate the unveiling of a new Mac Pro and an early first look at Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. This year's WWDC is expected to be used to show off a final or near-finalized version of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and get the latest builds of the OS into developers' hands ahead of its general release, which could come closer to the middle of the year.

The event is also likely to introduce new iPhone 3.0 software and a new mobile hardware revision internally designated as iPhone 2,1, both of which are also expected to see a mid-year release.

A massive Apple logo adorns one side of the Moscone West convention center last June.

How big can it get?

The WWDC 2007 peak of 5,000 attendees was exceeded last year after the event sold out early thanks to a huge influx of iPhone developers joining the ranks of attendees interested in exploring Apple's week-long training and hands-on labs.

The nearly 200,000 square feet of meeting space in the three-level Moscone West portion of the Moscone Center would be strained to accommodate significantly larger audiences, as a major draw of the event involves a central keynote held in the Presidio Room, the main theater on the top floor. Another nearly 100,000 square feet of exhibition space is available in Moscone West's ground floor Golden Gate Hall, but that space is typically used for food service and labs at WWDC and lacks the theatrical ambiance of the Presidio Room.

The entranceway to the Moscone West greeted developers to Apple WWDC last June.

The event's keynote has traditionally been presented by Steve Jobs. However, Jobs in January announced plans to relax on medical leave through June. Neither Apple nor Jobs have stated whether he will present the keynote this year or not.

Following the keynote, WWDC offers three primary tracks: Mac OS X development, mobile software for the iPhone and iPod touch, and an IT administration track covering large scale deployment and management of Macs within institutions.

Should Apple indeed be planning to hold the conference in early June again this year, an announcement should be forthcoming sometime in the next two weeks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I'm guessing May

Do it in June and everyone will expect the return of Steve (Ok I stole this idea from some poster on macdaily) which is plausible.

The iPhone 3rd Gen is probably going to be ready and Snow Leopard will probably be in FC status by May.

Apple has little reason to hold off. I expect an announcement this month that they have indeed booked the May date for WWDC.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can't see Apple having this even in May. It would seem to me like they'd want to have Snow Leopard basically ready to ship. If SL can be ready in May then perhaps there would be a possibility.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I say, aim late for the sake of having Snow Leopard farther along.

Of course, I want Snow Leopard now...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The first WWDC was held in Monterey, California in 1983. Until 2002, WWDC was held in mid-May. From 2003 to 2005 it was held in June to better distribute Apple's show commitments. In 2006, WWDC was moved to August due to scheduling conflicts at the Moscone Center. Since 1998 the conference generally starts with a keynote presentation which has been delivered by Apple CEO Steve Jobs, resulting in the event becoming known as "Stevenotes". Recent WWDC's have focused on demonstrating and distributing preview versions of upcoming Mac OS X versions.

Could be June ...history favors the date but there's little reason why I couldn't be in May. Developers are already working with Snow Leopard seeds so really iPhone SDK 3.0 is the only new software that I expect to see come.

The only issue I see is lead time for registrations at this point would be fairly short. The argument against this is that it sold out so fast last year that Apple may not be concerned about that. Then there's the matter of etiquette and consideration on Apple's part; i.e. they shouldn't spring this on their developer community without giving them a reasonable amount of time to plan their trip. Devs come from all over the word and some have unrelated jobs. 3 months is almost always better than 2.

K
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Apple can be ridiculous about secrecy. Devs need time to prepare etc. Who do they think they are, the NSA?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I say, aim late for the sake of having Snow Leopard farther along.

Of course, I want Snow Leopard now...

Me too! Although announcing it early (and seeding copies to developers) isn't bad, either, because it would (might) mean more software would be ready for Snow Leopard when it launches.

That said, I am definitely not upgrading to SL until a couple of updates are out. I've made that mistake too many times before.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm guessing May

Do it in June and everyone will expect the return of Steve (Ok I stole this idea from some poster on macdaily) which is plausible.

Never underestimate Apple's ability to surprise or to disappoint. Recent history has thought us there are no rules. meow
  • Reply 9 of 30
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    June, is the iPhone news month too.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    The 'corporate meeting' in June was on the schedule on the Moscone website months ago. It may have been removed and added again, but I saw it there in 2008 already.

Apple could do it in May, but that would mean they have a different schedule this year than the previous years and I see no reason for that. Apple had scheduled the WWDC in June for years and has a lot of other things planned through the year: from a business point of view it would make a lot of sense to introduce a new iPhone in first week of July, have the back to school sale in the summer, release new iPods in the fall, etc. At this moment, there are no signs that Apple would change its schedules. And usually when something changes in this industry, something is delayed, not the other way around.

And, if it would be in May, why did Apple not announce WWDC 2009 by now? What brings me to another point, if it would be in June, why have they not announced it? Moscone has plenty of slots in August, so if WWDC is not in June this year, I would expect later, not earlier.

Having said all that, WWDC 2008 sold out. That means Apple is not really harmed when they have a late announcement, it will probably sell out anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Apple can be ridiculous about secrecy. Devs need time to prepare etc. Who do they think they are, the NSA?

I think that WWDC is the event to let developers prepare for SL. I don't think we'll see SL released until Aug/Sept. I think the WWDC will be a heavy focus on Cocoa seminars with a nice keynote demonstrating Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I would say June too.

I looked through some old emails, and information about the June '07 event came out March 20 '07. An email about the June 08 event first showed up on April 2 '08, that's only three months.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would say June too.

I looked through some old emails, and information about the June '07 event came out March 20 '07. An email about the June 08 event first showed up on April 2 '08, that's only three months.

I just checked my email.

The first email about WWDC 2007 was sent on Februrary 6th.

The first email about WWDC 2008 was sent on March 13th.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    mmtm1983mmtm1983 Posts: 31member

March:- New iMacs, etc [Cheating lol]

April:- Long shot 10.6 SL Launches (If not now then in Oct 09)

May:- WWDC Introduce the world on things to come, possible minor software updates, maybe something NEW?

June:- News about i7 Core Architecture on the horizon, which will go hand in hand with i7 core chip (the New Quad core chips in the current mac pros)

July:- New iPhones, iPods, Possible phase out of the classic iPods for larger HD iPod touch's; well new name iPod LOL, i7 Core Architecture- long shot for desktop introduction, to soon for that, maybe in Jan onwards, but for the mobile game an major reality.

August:- Apple TV Update, MacBook Air Update.

September:- New school offers, promotions, All products should be in full flow (In Stock).

October:- 10.6 SL If not released in April, and Of course something NEW?

November:- Full flow of stock to whatever is launched in October 09.

December:- Nothing Happening this month, expect some promotions.

Just My Predictions For The Year Ahead!

Love it if anyone can add to it or make changes...
  • Reply 15 of 30
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Four other possibilities:

June 15 - 19

July 20 - 24

August 17 - 21

August 24 - 28
  • Reply 16 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MMTM1983 View Post

October:- 10.6 SL If not released in April, and Of course something NEW?

Love it if anyone can add to it or make changes...

Oct is too late. I'm guess that WWDC is June in Moscone West and SL will be ready or within a month of being ready.

You can't expect Developers to keep working on seeds until October.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    sikrassikras Posts: 19member
    Any chance for an Iphone pro?
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Let the rumors begin.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    It stands to reason that apple will have two dates as they try to separate iphone/ipod events from macintosh events.

My guess is the earlier one is snow leopard and later one is the iphone, simply because that gives a yearly refresh of the iphone.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Let the rumors begin.

Okay. How about:

May. WWDC Mac Developer event (with Snow Leopard release or announcement of release date at least.). After all it will be 19mths since Leopard was released. (Previous OS Xrelease intervals have been 6mths(10.1), 11 mths(10.2), 14mths(10.3), 18 mths(10.4) and 30mths(10.5))

June. WWDC iPhone/iPod Developer event (with iPhone 3.0 software release and new iPhone model(s))