Dow Jones claims confirmation of Apple netbook

Comments

• Reply 81 of 188
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 82 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Just a thought, but if you have a rugged shell front cover that slides off, reverse slides in the back you can carry it around and use it without fear of damage. It's not a phone so a slide locking [magnetically locking] case with grooves on the side could be cool.

That's so close to what I have in mind, it's spooky.

I'll add a twist to that: If the inside of that magnetic cover had a physical keyboard that looked exactly like the graphical keyboard that would pop up on the device, then you could use it either as a keyboarded (on a desk or seat tray) or a hand-held pad device depending on your situation.

If the keyboard is optional, then you have two price points.
  • Reply 83 of 188
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

No both MB and MBA used the same chipset with 800MHz bus.

I changed the post- sorry you posted before i corrected it. The fact is it was markedly slower than a MacBook.
  • Reply 84 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It will cost more because it will probably need a much stronger battery to drive that screen and CPU. Starting at $1,099- $999 would compete with the white iBook. This will kill the Kindle, netbooks and the MBA- thank god.

I think so, too, but I was displaying an example of how the price could be set lower if it were carrier subsidized.

Quote:

That is very slick looking, but ultimately impractical.

Quote:

I changed the post- sorry you posted before i corrected it. The fact is it was markedly slower than a MacBook.

It was meant to be slower. ULV CPU, 1.8" 4200RPM HDD and an underclocked IGP. I wish the MB had the IPS display that is in the MBA.
  • Reply 85 of 188
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Chief executive Steve Jobs once said it isn't in Apple's DNA to know how to make a computer at such a low price point "that isn't a piece of junk," while operating officer Tim Cook said in January, "It's a category we watch, we've got some ideas here, but right now we think the products are inferior and will not provide an experience to customers they're happy with."

Steve Jobs said something similar about a monitor with a computer built in behind it (like with a vertical cd tray -- i.e. the current iMacs) when announcing the iMac G4, but Apple eventually made it. Interestingly, Steve wasn't there to announce the iMac G5 either.
  • Reply 86 of 188
    It has to fit in a coat pocket. 7" screen is fine.

The Kindle has a 6", 600 x 800 screen and is by all accounts a good enough screen for extended reading. A 7", 640 x 960 screen would be even better, especially with color.

Bear in mind this is four times the pixel count of the iPhone, thus four times the CPU/GPU and memory load. That sounds about right for the next generation of ARM processors.

This would be a very light device with long battery life. A transreflective screen would be best, since it has optional backlighting (the Kindle does not), but I don't know if such screens are available with good enough quality color.
  • Reply 87 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Yes it is slower than the MacBook, but it has no problem running OS X.

Quote:

• Reply 88 of 188
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I cannot believe no one has commented on this?

I watch the video that is linked, I think of the claims of an "application unknown" touchscreen being made for Apple, and I imagine something that blends the video device (but with a cleaner screen to keyboard connection) with this old mockup?

And just maybe a new feature in the 24" LED Cinema Display??!?

Seriously though, watch the linked video, and think to yourself, "What Would Apple Do?"?

WOW thank you MacRonin... I was curious to know if anyone actually saw my post.. but i guess your first never really does go as planned

anyways,

idk about that mock up, but I like to form

And when I say dock, i dont mean like a sega masters dock, but maybe something that can connect the tablet with something they already have, like the new mini keyboard (or the bluetooth keyboard, both w/o number pad). The dock part could come with it, and you can attach either keyboard creating your very own netbook, or it would act as a simple stand to charge it

I hate the idea that everyone is thinking INSIDE the box (or cube).

When I saw that video, i had an "AHA!" moment.. i always wished a tablet notebook could do that (affordably)
  • Reply 89 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think so, too, but I was displaying an example of how the price could be set lower if it were carrier subsidized.

It it were subsidized I think it will be higher like a Kindle. The entry level Wifi would be the less expensive. I still say $1,000 at it's unveiling.
  • Reply 90 of 188
    Quote:

It was meant to be slower. ULV CPU, 1.8" 4200RPM HDD and an underclocked IGP. I wish the MB had the IPS display that is in the MBA.

But certainly not its hinges.
  • Reply 91 of 188
    Quote:

He's only referring to the consumer PC versions of Windows. He didn't mention any of MS' server of mobile OSes. MS has 6, Apple has 1. MS could make one, but their business model doesn't work that way.

Dude, thank you. You took my response words right out of my mouth. Obviously some people ads having a hard time understanding the point I was trying to get across.
  • Reply 92 of 188
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    I predict it will be available with internal wireless broadband service from a variety of cellular providers.

This will enable Apple to make an expensive "go anywhere" netbook and sell it cheaply - the monthly subscriber fees will subsidize the higher prices, just like cellphones.

This will also enable Apple to start doing business with other wireless players, while sticking to the terms of its agreement with AT&T.

In the end, Apple will be able to pit these telcos against each other in business deals to its advantage, much the same way it did with the recording industry and the iTunes Music Store.

Their netbook (the iNet?) will run the iPhone/iPod touch MacOS, optimized for the same applications and games available from the App Store.

It will leverage the GPS and motion sensing capabilities of the smaller iPhone platform, with the better performance of the larger Mac Books. The mobile apps will drive mobile data plan subscriptions, and vice-versa.

The (more or less) locked down nature of the platform will reduce piracy and give Apple even greater control over what its clients see, hear, use and buy.

Their netbook will be the razor, and cellular broadband and apps will be the blades...
  • Reply 93 of 188
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 94 of 188
    Wifi version $899.

3G version $1,099- $1,299

Both bluetooth.

Full touchscreen- no keyboard.

New OS running more than just iPhoneApps- Print drivers, iWork/Office, better camera.

Sealed green battery.
  • Reply 95 of 188
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This is such a non argument that could be applied to any situation. Steve Jobs could come out and say Apple will never build a rocket that can fly people to Mars, and people could bring up the fact that Apple has done things that it said it would not do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will not make a mobile phone.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

• Reply 96 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

While I agree that the multitude of Windows versions is ridiculous, have you not heard of OS X Server? It is a different version of Mac OS X, so that makes two versions, and isn't the iPhone OS derived from Mac OS X? so three versions. Yeah okay, so the iPhone OS is part of the appliance and OS X server may not apply to the general computing public, and there ay not be a very long list of differences between OS X and OS X server - and OS X is not exactly crippled compared to OS X server (the way that Windows Home is, especially when it comes to things like remote management). Just saying that the various "versions" of OS X are just not as prominently marketed side by side in a way that begs for any direct comparison to the way MS markets Windows (and 64 bit windows, and windows CE - or is it windows mobile now).

You are obviously not understanding the point I am trying to make here.

I know there is a server version of OS X, and I know there is a mobile version of OS X that the iPhone and iPod touch users. I am not refering to those versions of the OS

When you go to an Apple Store, how many versions of OS X to you see? You see ONE

Now let's say you go to Best buy. How many versions of Vista do you see? 5 or 6? I don't know the exact number because it's way to many versions to begin with.

The OS X server OS you can only get from the online store. And mobile OS X you can only get on the mobile devices.

What I was trying to get at in my comment was that OS X has 1 version of it's mainstrem OS which is Leopard.

Vista has more than one version of vista and the same for Windows7.

Why? Why does microsoft make it such a cluster f*ck for customers?

Apple has proven that making one version of an OS that has all the features and does everything right of the box. No trial software etc.. None of that.

And one more thing: windows ultimate is what $400? I can buy OS X Leopard for $120

Boom... Enough said

I really want the PC fanboys say something else.
  • Reply 97 of 188
    vaporlandvaporland Posts: 358member
    the difference between the Kindle-Amazon/Sprint subsidy and the Apple/AT&T subsidy is that Amazon pays Sprint, but AT&T pays Apple...
  • Reply 98 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    The always innovating netbook looks nice. Alas, Linux only. Shame.
  • Reply 99 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is such a non argument that could be applied to any situation. Steve Jobs could come out and say Apple will never build a rocket that can fly people to Mars, and people could bring up the fact that Apple has done things that it said it would not do.

I'd be first in line for the new unibody aluminum iRocket. Toasty!
  • Reply 100 of 188
    Humm....a big rumor..I wondered why Apple was up ...5.28 points.