Apple introduces new iMacs with more affordable pricing

Comments

• Reply 301 of 322
    sarnosarno Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Just sounds like the power supply has gone. No idea if these are easily replacable in Apple computers, but a typical PC one would set you back about $100, so certainly a lot cheaper than a new computer!

Hmmmm power supply huh? Before this happen I took into an Apple "Genius" and he said it was the processor or the motherboard that was going bad and would be at least $1200 to fix. I think I'll take it into another Apple dealer and see if maybe it's the power supply.

Thanks for the info!
  • Reply 302 of 322
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ defender View Post

Upd:

Decided not to buy that one. Those "spots" doesn't look good at all - a bad sign for a used screen, IMHO... (and you can't just replace the screen in iMac)

Will have to hold on for a while. \

White spots may be a defect in the LCD that appears after a year or so of usage. You can Google "Apple iBook white spot on LCD" and find something related to it... This was from quite a few years back... Not sure if this is the same defect appearing on that iMac screen.

Anyway, yeah, out of warranty as well, better pass on it.
  • Reply 303 of 322
    The previous model Mac Pros should be going for a good price, and I'm sure there's some available right now. Maybe consider finding that discounted previous-model Mac Pro at your nearest Apple Store/ Apple reseller...?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarno View Post

I've been reading as much as possible about this topic and figured I would post a question.

I've been working on towers my entire professional career as a computer illustrator (14 years). I work mostly in Photoshop and Illustrator and a lot of my files can get rather large. Up to 2-3gb at times. I currently have a 30" Cinema Display and a 19" LCD. My tower just decided to "fry" this weekend, weird sound and then poof, shut down and a horrible smell came out from the back. So needless to say I'm in the market for a new computer ASAP!

I was all ready to order a new 8-Core Mac Pro with the 8gb of ram (and then order another 8 from an outside vendor) and the upgraded ATI video card. So at those specs we are talking $3600 before adding the additional 8gb of ram and tax. So I started thinking about an iMac. The 24" 3.06 model and upgrading to the ATI video card as well. It's considerably cheaper! But I'd only want to get the 4gb of ram since upgrading to 8 would be way too expensive. (about $700 more)

So I'm concerned that the 4gb of ram will just not be enough for the larger Photoshop files. The wait time for the iMac ATI models is 4-6 weeks and 2-3 weeks for the Mac Pros, which is a really long wait considering I need a computer now. I'm also wondering how big of a speed difference I would be able to feel between the two. I work on a 2x3ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Tower at work right now and I don't want to feel like I'm working on a slower computer at home. I have the latest edition of Photoshop CS4 as well. I also do a little video stuff and play the occasional game but most of the time is spent in PS & Illustrator.

Well anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Jamie

• Reply 304 of 322
    I just picked up the 24" iMac, just the basic 1499 with no upgrades (I love apple, but not 1000 dollars more for 4GB of ram love), and I lllllooooooovvvvveeeeeeeeee it! Do wish I had a little more money to get the 3.06 GHz.. but one day =\\. I did just pick up this though: http://www.speckproducts.com/product...ru/imac-24/144 (25 bucks off! Need all the savings I can get...). Brings color to my iMac Nonetheless, love it.
  • Reply 305 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speckster View Post

I did just pick up this though: ...

What is it for?
  • Reply 306 of 322
    Quote:

What is it for?

A kind of plastic casing... Not as tacky as you would imagine.
  • Reply 307 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

A kind of plastic casing... Not as tacky as you would imagine.

But what does it do? Some kind of anti-reflective casing for 'glossy' screens?
  • Reply 308 of 322
    Quote:

But what does it do? Some kind of anti-reflective casing for 'glossy' screens?

No it just goes around the front frame, covering the aluminium parts of the front, top and side of the iMac. The screen is not covered.
  • Reply 309 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No it just goes around the front frame, covering the aluminium parts of the front, top and side of the iMac. The screen is not covered.

Oh, ok... \ (can't see the point of it then)
  • Reply 310 of 322
    Quote:

Oh, ok... \ (can't see the point of it then)

Yeah, it's a matter of taste.
  • Reply 311 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The new iMac lineup, especially the $1,799 model, is a great upgrade especially if you are moving up from an iMac G5 or an iMac G4. I use my Macs for about 5-6 years before I need to upgrade. My PowerBook G4 is 7 years old, still in mint condition, and does everything I need it to do just fine, even with Leopard installed. For those of you that claim to buy a new Mac every year, then I think you are spoiled.

I don't know why so many people are complaining about the speed bump, which is what Apple always does with a minor refresh, but that is the nature of AppleInsider. All people do here is complain. If you bought an iMac within the last 1-2 years, there is no reason to complain because you probably aren't planning to upgrade for another few years.

I have to agree, I am using an eMac G4 1.25 Mhz from 2004 and prior to that I had a iMac from summer 2001 (500mhz G3) So this new model will be a HUGE update for me. I will be buying a 24" ($1799) model in April or May. I think this hardware update will be sufficient to keep me another 4-5 years. I'm not really interested in a laptop, so the 24" iMac will a nice upgrade from a 17" eMac. I believe some people just get hung up on specs and hardware comparisons, there is more to a Mac than that.
  • Reply 312 of 322
    Quote:

I was all ready to order a new 8-Core Mac Pro with the 8gb of ram (and then order another 8 from an outside vendor) and the upgraded ATI video card. So at those specs we are talking $3600 before adding the additional 8gb of ram and tax. So I started thinking about an iMac. The 24" 3.06 model and upgrading to the ATI video card as well. It's considerably cheaper! But I'd only want to get the 4gb of ram since upgrading to 8 would be way too expensive. (about $700 more)

So I'm concerned that the 4gb of ram will just not be enough for the larger Photoshop files. The wait time for the iMac ATI models is 4-6 weeks and 2-3 weeks for the Mac Pros, which is a really long wait considering I need a computer now. I'm also wondering how big of a speed difference I would be able to feel between the two. I work on a 2x3ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Tower at work right now and I don't want to feel like I'm working on a slower computer at home. I have the latest edition of Photoshop CS4 as well. I also do a little video stuff and play the occasional game but most of the time is spent in PS & Illustrator.

Well anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

Jamie

Well. You already have two screens? For the price of a high end iMac with Radeon 4850...you should pay the extra and get the quad core Pro 2.66. Add extra ram to 6 gigs and the Radeon 4870. And you're set to go for £2170. That's a good balance. If you were working on a dual 3 gigger Xeon you should notice the difference. And that 4870 should drive your monitors ok.

Still...labour and parts for a new power supply should be cheaper?

You just want to buy a new computer, don't you?

You're circumstances are similar to mine. In that...much of what I want to do currently can be done by a high end iMac with Radeon 4850 and 4 gigs of ram. That's about £1650 ish? Dual 3 gig. And it has a 24 inch screen. And it has a small desktop footprint. Take away the price of the 24 inch monitor? Eg 400£ and you're left with a slightly expensive £1250-ish dual core computer with a 'low end' gpu...but handy 4 gigs of ram.

The lack of quad core is a bummer. But I guess I could keep it or ebay it if I went the iMac route...if they consumer i7 chip hits the iMac later this year?

Where we differ is that you have two good monitors already. And having gone from 30 inches...I can't see you going to 24 inches on an iMac and being happy?

If I buy the quad core 2.66 Nehalem...then it's £2170 inc 6 gigs of ram and the Ati card. And then I've got to fork out for a monitor. 24 inch LED. And to be honest. If I'm having that kind of rig? I want more than 24 inches of LED. I want 30. And Apple doesn't have it yet. And I hate plastic in my monitor screens. I like glass. So no cheapo PC monitor for me. *Shrugs. Plus Apple's prices are outrageous this time. It limits our options.

For me to go the tower route? LED 24 incher Apple's...with apple care...takes the price up to roughly £3000. Personally, I'm not that impressed by the Nehalem's lower clocking absorbing much of its improvement over the Core 2s. The 4870s aren't that much better than the 8xxx series of cards...eg running games 2500x1600 is still an issue for anything that isn't last generation. And Apple kindly gave us less vram on this 4870 than most retail versions.

My conclusion. I'd rather take the £1300-ish and put it towards a better Mac Pro in 2-3 years time when a. Apple has a 30 inch LED out by then. b. Nehalems are clocking much higher, with more cores as standard and c. Sterling might have sorted itself out by then.

For the comping work (PShop...), for the typing a manuscript work I have to do (iWorks/scrivener...), for the light 3D work I need to do (Lightwave) and for the odd bit of casual gaming (champions online when it arrives...) I can't see the Mac Pro giving me significant day to day computing speed or in the apps above for the significant extra investment.

IF(!) I already had the 30 inch or 24 inch LED display. Different story. I'd reach for the Mac Pro 2.66.

For once, I'd like Melgross and others to chime in and elaborate my thinking? Am I right? Wrong?

I've got less than a week now. Then I'm pulling the trigger.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 313 of 322
    Quote:

Stop the whining, stop the madness!

Apple started it. They jacked prices up in the UK by several hundred pounds, four hundred in some cases. Who wouldn't whine? Especially when the same PC spec or same performing PC spec is half the price. If they can do it...why can't Apple. 28 billion and getting greedier.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 314 of 322
    [QUOTE=UltimateKylie;1383801]You can get a Dell XPS One 24" for $1599 with includes an Intel QUAD core processor and 4GB of ram.

But it doesn't run/include (legally) OSX, and to me, that is the whole point of Apple Hardware, to run the Apple OS, isn't it?

Sure, you can buy cheaper hardware, but is it any "better?" I mean a Chevy costs less than a Lexus or Toyota for that matter, but is either any "better?"

It's all about choice...your choice, not necessarily mine though.
  • Reply 315 of 322
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DoFoT9

to us it may be a hole, to apple - there is a thing called the iMac.

...which is essentially a gargantuan laptop, not just technology-wise but Apple themselves apparently don't think it qualifies for a "desktop".

My iMac 24" broke down a few weeks ago and I thought I'd make use of the ludicrously expensive AppleCare plan for the first time. Since I'm used to Dell doing on-site repairs the next business day for less money than AppleCare costs, I expected the same from Apple except that the repair dude would have a pin-striped suit and white gloves, like the famed Rolls-Royce mechanics. So I call up Apple Support and talk to this snooty chick who explained that they don't do on-site repairs on iMacs. "But the AppleCare contract says on-site repairs of desktop computers, and that's what I paid for, or so I thought", I said. "Yes, but the iMac isn't a desktop model". "Well", I said, "let's see. It weighs like 30 pounds, it's huge, it has no battery, no built-in keyboard or trackpad, and it's got a non-detachable desktop stand, so it sure as **** can't be a laptop now can it?" But the girl just kept going on about how Mac Pro is the only thing they repair on location and that I have to drag the iMac about 60 miles, where the nearest authorized Apple service center is. I guess that's the "care" part of AppleCare...

Anyway... the iMac is non-expandable which defeats the purpose of a desktop computer as far as most users are concerned. What people want is simply a decently priced Apple desktop machine that you can stick a couple of cards in. Apple has completely skipped over the consumer desktop line of processors from Intel. The style of processor that the lion's share of Dell's product lineup is based on... XPS gaming machines, Dimension/Studio/Vostro desktops and so forth. Apple have the iMacs, Macbooks and Mac Minis with portable-grade processors, then nothing, then the full-blown Xeon line for business users and professionals, which is a huge jump in price, moreso than performance. And by their own admittance (see my AppleCare story above) they don't have a consumer desktop model, period.

Found it on macrumors. Heh.

He doesn't sound happy with his 'care'.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 316 of 322
    This hurts kind of???? my birthday was on march 9th of this month. My mom surprised me with a mac...obviously I was happy.

I have the 24" 2.8g processor stock 320g harddrive 2g ddr3 ram upgradable to 4g max.

On the apple website they just came out on march 3 4days before my birthday, and I guess my machine was picked up on march the seventh.

I had just found out from a friend couple four days after my birthday that they had posted the new o9's very close to my purchase date.

The 2.9g nvidea gcard 640gharddrive and 4g of ram upgradeable to 8g.

Everything else is the same....my mac was purchased a future shop... now my mom got me a package deal with a nice printer and some speakers, I love it! The guy who sold my mac to my mom I've talked to about this and he says for exactly 200$ I can bring back the o8 and pic up an 09 wow!'

Here's the thing members of my family herd I was going to do this and it really bothered them that maybe I was ungreatful... I not really if the new imacs came out 2week later or 2 months later I wouldn't care.... but it was just six days and I have a 14 day grace period to return the product with questions unasked.......:

My mom wasn't the family member that came down on me hard.....my mom was mad but after cooling of she saw it as I did better......

once my other family members calmed down and understood as well, they saw my side....but still disagreed on the fact that it's not just the specs that came into play IT WAS THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE OF THE EXCITEMENT ON MY FACE THAT I GOT A MAC FOR MY 30TH BIRTHDAY AND MY BROTHER INLAW SETTING UP MY DESK FROM COSTCO AND THE FACT IT WAS A GIFT HE FELT TOOK PRECIDENCE OVER SPECS I MAY NEVER USE....I JUST THOUGHT IT'S O9 GET AN 09 IN 09 AND WHATEVER COMES OUT AFTER THAT WHATEVER....BUT IT'S 200DOLLARS ON THE DOT AND MY SPECS WOULD BE DOUBLED.....

Am I greedy should not push the isssue be happy with what greatness I was given shut and enjoy? cause I know right now to upgrade to 4g of ram is more than 200 dollars Plus hardrive doubled and the four G of ram for only 200 more dollars.....

PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS HAD THE PATIENCE TO READ THIS PLEASE GET BACK TO ME.....BUT DON'T POST IT CAUSE I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS SITE YET...I'LL LEAVE MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK....if it were you in this sich would you be bother? would except and be greatful? or would you anoy some close close family members WHO WOULD THINK I WAS AN UNGREATFUL BRAT????? cause I do love this machine but for a couple bills more I could be better prepared for the future????

MY email is [email protected] Please please give me your Opinions.....

thanks Andy.
  • Reply 317 of 322
    So, for £100 you get at least twice the gpu performance if you get an imac with Nvidia 120.

I'd take that I guess.

Hey, if it was a gift, just enjoy. But £100 gets you extra 2 gigs of ram and extra gpu.

At the end of the day: you pay £100 and get an 09 imac. I wish I could do that.

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. Go for it. Your family will still love you afterwards...and you'll have an 09 iMac.
  • Reply 318 of 322
    Also. The thread title is ridiculous.

They jacked the price up in the Uk by hundreds. They are not more affordable. Apple are about twice the price of a similar specced PC. You can get a quad core Nehalem with a 4850 for around £1000. Check out overclockers.co.uk.

Computer for the 'rest of us'? What? Rich people? Middle Class people? People with Steve Jobs billions in the bank?

Apple's stupid and greedy pricing couldn't have come at a worse time for UK consumers.

And Steve wonders where they get the 'US centric' tag from.

It's getting to the point where I hope Apple do lose control of the OS...and and it can be installed on most PC hardware.

That way, they can concentrate on their iPhone. Because their desktop strategy looked in tatters as of early March. Fleece the faithful and unwitting. Maybe good for shareholders...but not for the consumer. Anybody who thought pricing would become reasonable with the transition to Intel got that wrong. It's as bad or as worse as the PPC days.

Rant over.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 319 of 322
    I'm looking at the 3 gig iMac with Radeon having said that...

*Mutters... greedy eye-gauging...**&(&((&((&(.!

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 320 of 322
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

You can get a quad core Nehalem with a 4850 for around £1000.

I'd love to see a link to this similarly speced AIO for £1000.

Quote:

Apple's stupid and greedy pricing couldn't have come at a worse time for UK consumers.

It's absurd that the value of the pound sterling dropping has made things cost more. It's even more absurd that a company tries to make a profit on it's products. Economics are so crazy!

Quote:

And Steve wonders where they get the 'US centric' tag from.

No, I don't think he wonders that being from the US and running a company from the Us that serves first and foremost their native consumer.

Quote:

It's getting to the point where I hope Apple do lose control of the OS...and and it can be installed on most PC hardware.

Because then Apple would be charging you $500 for a copy of their OS? Great idea!

[/QUOTE]That way, they can concentrate on their iPhone.[/QUOTE]

So OS X for the desktop would be socialized, but somehow their mobile OS X would not be. Care to enlighten us on that logic. Would not the same argument be made that the iPhone uses "off the shelf" HW? Way to think it through.

Quote:

Anybody who thought pricing would become reasonable with the transition to Intel got that wrong. It's as bad or as worse as the PPC days.

I don't think anyone though that Apple would go not for profit when they switched to Intel. The prices have remained inline with the cost of the processors. The cost of the last 20" PPC iMac with iSight camera cost $1699 with a 2.1 G5 PPC w/512MB RAM. The newest 20" iMac costs $1199 ?$500 cheaper not accounting for inflation? with a 2.66GHz Nehalem C2D w/ 2GB RAM.