Apple to unleash new 4GB iPod shuffles with Dock sync cable

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple later this morning is expected to introduce a new version of its iPod shuffle digital music player with 4GB of storage capacity, new colors, and other tweaks, according to a source.

AppleInsider forum member Mr. X, who earlier this month provided accurate information on the Cupertino-based company's desktop refresh, says the new players will arrive in both black and grey.

The new players will reportedly carry model numbers MC164 and MB867, and also pack a new "dock/sync cable."

Apple last updated the iPod shuffle in September, when it introduced 1GB and 2GB models in a new shade of vibrant colors. The players currently retail for $49 and $69, respectively.

Apple's online store is presently down for upgrades, suggesting the information passed on by Mr X. is likely to pan out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    That'd be really cool. My friend just bought 2 - 2gb shuffles for $40, but I'm sure he'd dish out another $50 for a new color.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I still a 1GB 2G shuffle. I have only had about 30 songs on it at one time since it's for the gym/jogging. I can't imagine what I'd put on a 4GB Shuffle.

Well, if the new ones can handle Apple Lossless and have voice over that speaks metadata to you based on settings you set up in iTunes (so you don't need more buttons on the device), I may just buy it, but not simple for a storage bump.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

That'd be really cool. My friend just bought 2 - 2gb shuffles for $40, but I'm sure he'd dish out another $50 for a new color.

Why so many Shuffles?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Seems the UK Apple Store is up with new Shuffles that talk to you

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...le?mco=MTIwMDM
  • Reply 4 of 20
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    It's up in the Apple Store, but not on the iPod+iTunes page.

4GB for $79, black and grey. Taller and narrower. And it speaks.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Damn that is tiny... but how do you sync it? I can't tell.

No buttons - uses remote on headphones

interesting.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    The new shuffle is on the store.

"The controls are now conveniently located on the earbud cord."

And for those of us who can use Apple's ear buds because they don't fit in our ears, or we need a more secure fit for working out, or we want a higher quality headphone?

Sorry to start off the day with a negative post. But what are they thinking?

Edit: Good thing the last revision is still available, but only in 1 GB capacity.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Seems the UK Apple Store is up with new Shuffles that talk to you

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...le?mco=MTIwMDM

Looks like they've cunningly designed it so you have to use Apple's earphones (the only controls are in the earphone lead). Boring colours too. Odd.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why so many Shuffles?

He said they were mis-marked... it was supposed to be 1 - 2gb shuffle for $40, but he noticed it said 2 in the paper, or something, and they didnt argue.

He doesn't need them, he just took advantage of the steal.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The new shuffle is on the store.

"The controls are now conveniently located on the earbud cord."

And for those of us who can use Apple's ear buds because they don't fit in our ears, or we need a more secure fit for working out, or we want a higher quality headphone?

Sorry to start off the day with a negative post. But what are they thinking?

If they use the same remote headphones as the rest of the ipod line-up, then you should be able to use any 3rd party headphone with controls, too... right? \
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

If they use the same remote headphones as the rest of the ipod line-up, then you should be able to use any 3rd party headphone with controls, too... right? \

How many of those are there? Does anyone make an adaptor that has controls and a socket that any third-party headphones can plug in to?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

He said they were mis-marked... it was supposed to be 1 - 2gb shuffle for $40, but he noticed it said 2 in the paper, or something, and they didnt argue.

He doesn't need them, he just took advantage of the steal.

Thanks.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    VoiceOver speaks multiple languages, so it’s perfect for cosmopolitan music libraries. Here are a few samples.

Chinese (Mandarin), Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

How many of those are there? Does anyone make an adaptor that has controls and a socket that any third-party headphones can plug in to?

I know that a few V-MODA, SHURE, and others have playback controls (with a mic).

And Griffin has something like what I think you're talking about. I didn't look into it too much, but here's a link. Maybe you can research more.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I know that a few V-MODA headphones have playback controls.

And Griffin has something like what I think you're talking about. I didn't look into it too much, but here's a link. Maybe you can research more.

Assuming Apple used a standard connector scheme. There are headphones with volume controls. That's easy. But what pins and signals are required for communicating to the iPod for play/pause, skip forward/backward, etc? Only time will tell.

Either way, it's only small percentage of headphones that have controls. I think this is a case of Apple taking minimalist design too far. My opinion.

Edit: I assume Apple is using the same pin scheme as they do for the iPhone, minus the microphone.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Assuming Apple used a standard connector scheme. There are headphones with volume controls. That's easy. But what pins and signals are required for communicating to the iPod for play/pause, skip forward/backward, etc? Only time will tell.

Either way, it's only small percentage of headphones that have controls. I think this is a case of Apple taking minimalist design too far. My opinion.

Edit: I assume Apple is using the same pin scheme as they do for the iPhone, minus the microphone.

And the remote headphones have been available from Apple for some time now. If the playback translation hasn't changed on this new one, and they use the same old remote headphones, than I too assume that the pins haven't changed, which means that other headphones with playback controls should work too.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    So, I expect that apple will soon activate this speech-technology on other iPod/iPhone models compatible with the new remote-earbuds, or am I wishing for too much here? would be great when your iPhone/iPod is in your pocket!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I still love my 2GB shuffle with the Lost numbers engraved on the back. I can't help but want a new one though.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    there was a mr. x on rlslog as well. moved over to a different site after an attempted coup.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I hate the new shuffles, but I love Mr. X. I knew you didn't die in the car race! You look a lot like my brother who disappeared. If only I could figure out who you are...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Apparently, the synonym for "began marketing" is "unleashed". Groovy.