Installing more than one Ati 4870 HD in a Mac Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it possible, I'm considering buying the new Pro, but I just want to know whether I could install more than one Ati 4870 HD graphics card

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Apple touts how expandable the Mac Pro is so i would assume it would work. It has the room inside.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApple21 View Post

Is it possible, I'm considering buying the new Pro, but I just want to know whether I could install more than one Ati 4870 HD graphics card

You should be able to. Just remember the second ATI card will take up 2 slots. So, first ATI is in the graphic expansion slot which is double-wide so that is okay. 2nd ATI will take up the space of 2 slots. So with 2 ATIs you only have 1 slot left free.

I can't be 100% sure, let us know how it goes.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You should be able to. Just remember the second ATI card will take up 2 slots. So, first ATI is in the graphic expansion slot which is double-wide so that is okay. 2nd ATI will take up the space of 2 slots. So with 2 ATIs you only have 1 slot left free.

I can't be 100% sure, let us know how it goes.

Thank you for answering, it sounds like it's possible. I will contact Apple's technical support, and hear what they want to let me know. I'll post their answer when I get it
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nshirkeynshirkey Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Thank you for answering, it sounds like it's possible. I will contact Apple's technical support, and hear what they want to let me know. I'll post their answer when I get it

Be sure to double check on any heat issues. Even one 4870 is reported to run pretty hot and keep the fans churning. Maybe with 2 cards you could make breakfast on top of the tower? :-)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NShirkey View Post

Be sure to double check on any heat issues. Even one 4870 is reported to run pretty hot and keep the fans churning. Maybe with 2 cards you could make breakfast on top of the tower? :-)

I'll make sure to do so, thank you for the warning.

If necessary I'll just have to fit in som dry ice
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

I'll make sure to do so, thank you for the warning.

If necessary I'll just have to fit in som dry ice

I have now talked to Apple's danish tech support, and the kind technician told me that there would be no problems fitting the two 4870 cards, and that temperatures weren't going to be a problem either.

I also asked if the power supply was capable of supplying enough power, and accordingly it is.

I don't know whether to trust this information, and I'm certainly going to wait for some experiences to be posted online.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I have now talked to Apple's danish tech support, and the kind technician told me that there would be no problems fitting the two 4870 cards, and that temperatures weren't going to be a problem either.

I also asked if the power supply was capable of supplying enough power, and accordingly it is.

I don't know whether to trust this information, and I'm certainly going to wait for some experiences to be posted online.

I can't say anything about the current model of Mac Pro, but previous ones had a lot more power supply capacity than can be easily used. The way I calculated it, you could put four 15k RPM hard drives, two optical drives, max the memory and use two high end GFX cards and not get the rated capacity, even at max load.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

The Radeon 4870 uses two power connectors. There are only two power connectors on the main board. So I guess it won't work!

Is it possible to use a Radeon HD 4870 and a GeForce GT120 at the same time ...?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BNOYHTUAWB View Post

The Radeon 4870 uses two power connectors. There are only two power connectors on the main board. So I guess it won't work!

Is it possible to use a Radeon HD 4870 and a GeForce GT120 at the same time ...?

Rigging up extra power cables is child's play.