Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology

Comments

• Reply 81 of 341
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Um, because the adapter has playback controls, not just a volume controls

works the same way as the remote headphones

have you ever used the remote headphones? or the iPhone headphones? Do you need a large play/pause button? I'd like to keep my device in my pocket so people don't know that I'm carrying a $600 iPhone

Ah my bad... I hope it is compatible with the new Shuffle... With Apple, you never know...
  • Reply 82 of 341
    When you put the new shuffle and Apple's bluetooth headset together, you will notice that they both look very similar.

I really like the design of the new iPod. It shows that Apple is going into the modern look/style.

I remember correctly, Steve Jobs once said that he does not like buttons. The less buttons a device, the better.

Its going to be very hard for consumers to use this new technology. Almost everyone is use to some kind of button on a device such as the iPod. But, overtime I think it will catch on.
  • Reply 83 of 341
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greendisease View Post

You can use these, correct?

http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/

Those replacement headphones cost the same as the new Shuffle ! That doesn't look good !!!
  • Reply 84 of 341
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You miss the point. These adapters have no volume controls. Only a single button that I suppose might work as a play/pause button, but what good is that without the ability to skip tracks and change the volume?

But it looks good- stop complaining.
  • Reply 85 of 341
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You miss the point. These adapters have no volume controls. Only a single button that I suppose might work as a play/pause button, but what good is that without the ability to skip tracks and change the volume?

I understand the volume control thing (i mixed up my post there)

The skip/back feature is used by dbl clicking or triple clicking the control button. Everything should work but the volume. I am sure that there are others out there that have a similar design, and you can guarantee that there will be more now that this has changed.

I'm not missing the point, but offering a solution. There are high-end headphones that have built in volume, but are missing controls. That is what this adapter will provide.

The newer in ear headphones work well according to the Apple Store (compatible with 3rd gen shuffle).
  • Reply 86 of 341
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those replacement headphones cost the same as the new Shuffle ! That doesn't look good !!!

Those are Apple's better headphones. They still sell the eaarbuds that come with the Shuffle for considerably cheaper, though I don't know what the cost of the headphones has to do with the cost of the player. The better quality the headphones the more they are going to cost. You can buy headphones that cost many times more than the 32GB iPod Touch.
  • Reply 87 of 341
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I love how Apple juices the most out of its fruit. Always introduce 1 or two colors, the fan boys run out and buy it. A few months later... eeeeeek, it comes in (insert color here) and fan boy gets juiced twice!

love it.
  • Reply 88 of 341
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nashi View Post

Is Apple's lowliest product offering a glimpse of the future.

We know that Apple doesn't think keyboards should be on portable devices (apart from Macbooks). With all this debate about are Apple doing a NetBook or will they launch an upscale iPodTouch tablet.

Maybe they plan to add voice recognition to the iPhone (we need it for voice dialling anyway) and iPodTouch. If they could get this to actually work then maybe a keyboard is not necessary.

Is Voice Over on the Shuffle the first glimpse of this - first Touch then Voice.

You need to read a little more carefully.

The iPod speaks to you.

You do not speak to the iPod, it is not voice controlled.
  • Reply 89 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

You need to read a little more carefully.

The iPod speaks to you.

You do not speak to the iPod, it is not voice controlled.

Didn't they say the same thing about the black slab in 2001 A Space Odyssey?
  • Reply 90 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Looks great- but what does it sound like??

Watch the video and note the "robotic" voice when syncing to a PC compared with the voice of Mac. Pretty cool

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/gui...ur/medium.html
  • Reply 91 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ah.....but is it snappier?

TM! You forgot the TM
  • Reply 92 of 341
    I guess the solution is to wait for a third party to fix it with a new adapter that has a button and volume controls?

Great.

Apple should have had the adapter ready before the new Shuffle was announced. They didn't. Hence, complaint.

I can't use my Sony EX-300SL headphones that I LOVE, and the solution is to wait, or to buy the Apple in-ear headphones. Thanks.

I agree with many of the people who have noted of late that Apple is skimping/profiteering/basically doing shitty things to customers.

Last week my Universal Dock for iPod suddenly stopped outputting audio, video and receiving remote controls from the Apple Remote. I found out that not only does the new Universal Dock cost more (HK$400 vs. $300 for the version I had), it no longer has video out, so you have to spend another $50 (HK$400) for a video cable. Replace a $320 item for $800, in order to get the same functionality. Thanks, Apple. (I ended up buying a heavily used display unit of the old kind for full $300 price, no warranty, box, cable or dock adapters).
  • Reply 93 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Watch the video and note the "robotic" voice when syncing to a PC compared with the voice of Mac. Pretty cool

http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/gui...ur/medium.html

Not the sound of the voice , the sound quality of the music, for godsake!!
  • Reply 94 of 341
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...d-shuffle.html

Quote:

...Apple had been working with accessory makers to ensure iPod shuffle controls are built into a wide variety of new headphones, such as sports earphones.

“They’ll be introducing headphones that have the controller integrated into their headphone design,” he said. “There will also be adapter cables available, so you can use your existing headphones with the new shuffle too.” (emphasis added)

The previous generation is still available, too, so there's no reason to complain. You don't need this on THE FIRST DAY it's available.
  • Reply 95 of 341
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

At the gym my headphones go down the back of my neck, not the front, due to sweat and they get in the way- so this is totally worthless to me, not to mention that I know what I want to hear in the gym- the music. I don't want voices speaking to me- that's why I wear headphones.

Love the whine. How often do you skip songs at the gym? Most have a playlist that they set up specifically for what they use the Shuffle for. Also, the voice option is an OPTION. Don't turn it on.
  • Reply 96 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

How in the hell does Apple think they can force people to buy their cheap crappy headphones? They can't possible expect to be able to cut off the entire audio headphone industry can they?

Yeah, because obviously the third-party suppliers Apple has already been working with to make Shuffle-compatible earphones won't bother making Shuffle-compatible earphones.

Jeez.
  • Reply 97 of 341
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Shouldn't the FM transmitter controls work for this iPod?
  • Reply 98 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Here's what I just posted on the other thread about the new shuffles

hopefully the same functionality of the remote will work on the Shuffles too

the only thing im not sure of is if they changed the remote headphones too (because of how the new voice talk feature works)

Thanks to really crappy headphones that hurt to wear, people will flock to buy third party headphones with integrated controls on them. Since those will, of course, be made for the iPod, the manufacturer has to pay Apple's "Made for iPod" accessory marketing fees.

No we'll have at least 30 headphone makers paying into a fee system to replace apple's poor accessory. Now THAT's a business model!
  • Reply 99 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Love the whine. How often do you skip songs at the gym? Most have a playlist that they set up specifically for what they use the Shuffle for. Also, the voice option is an OPTION. Don't turn it on.

let me get this right- You have a playlist that you made and still need to hear what song you're listening too?
  • Reply 100 of 341
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Speaking song titles is probably the dumbest waste of tech I've ever heard of. They spent the time money and effort on that, but they still resist even a one line display?

Oh, and a new bonus!! They've raised the price too!

A one line display would make it even larger. They didn't raise the price. The 2GB Shuffle was originally $79, and the 1GB was $49. When the last Shuffle arrived, it was $79 for 1GB. So with 4GB and the added features, $79 is very reasonable, and not a price increase either.